XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. matthiasdeblaiser

matthiasdeblaiser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For his sake, I hope he meant his newly purchased 500gb Samsung Evo mSata...

2. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think 840 EVO mSATA is already available on market, it was only announced just few weeks ago.

3. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it still thermal throttling when it is always running at that speed? The GPU was under 80 for almost the entire time and never ran at 941 MHz (it was at 405 MHz) but still got a good 3DMark11 score.

4. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Well the whole "new windows 8.1 installation" process is a little strange.

1. every tutorial recommends to disable secureboot/uefi but I didn't and everthing seems to work
    2. I have 5 partitions on my SSD.. what the hell... I have no idea which ones I can delete ?
    3. The Windows 8.1 setup has scaling problems :)
    4. dells driver website is strange too.. for some drivers there is a driver and also an update package.. why not just making one file that contains both?!

5. swordofsilence

Reputations:
    Thanks - I will try GPU-z and see what it gives me.

6. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you saying that when you have scored 2967points at 3Dmark your GPU was locked to 405MHz?
    If it's so then I think there is something wrong in the way you check the GPU clock.
    I suggest to activated LOG MODE in HWinfo so a CVS file will be created with all data of your system when you are performing 3Dmark (or any game) just a warning, to be sure that HWinfo detect GT750m you have to run something that uses it before to launch HWinfo.

7. swordofsilence

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll try that and see if it sheds any light. It was running at 405 MHz even at the very beginning of the benchmark and stayed that way the whole time, as far as I can tell (from MSI afterburner, using the on-screen display).

8. teh_crab

teh_crab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well that's a little embarrassing - luckily enough I don't pick-up the HDD until tomorrow so I will promptly cancel it and wait for the arrival of the mSATA versions haha :). Apparently they are meant to be arriving this month with comparative pricing to their 2.5" counterparts.

Though I have to ask myself - since I will be using this hardly ever off a power supply (who the hell games and expects good battery life) is the 61WHr that different to the 91WHr? Have we got results in?

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No one I know of has attempted this upgrade yet, but it should be straightforward. Good luck!

I don't understand why everyone wants to back up their stock Windows 8.1 image. There's nothing special about it other than having all the drivers preinstalled, which you'd likely want to update anyway. But if you do feel the need, one option would be using the built-in System Image tool (buried in Windows 8 under File History....), or a third-party tool like Macrium Reflect, the latter of which is less picky during the restore phase but obviously requires a separate tool for restore, whereas using the Windows function allows restoring using either Windows boot media, a rescue disc/USB drive, or the built-in Windows Recovery Tools partition. But honestly if you're going to take an image of anything, I'd take an image of the system AFTER you wipe it, get all the drivers installed, get everything customized to your liking, and get any apps you want to install set up. That way your image is a baseline that YOU want rather than what Dell provides. ;)

As for drivers, I go to Dell's site for most things. The notable exceptions where I go to the vendor directly are GPU and Wifi. On this particular system, the Intel GPU can't use the Intel reference drivers, but the NVIDIA GPU can. I also grabbed the Bluetooth drivers directly from Intel since Wifi and BT are on the same card in this system. And lastly I'm using the Synaptics drivers rather than Dell's touchpad drivers, though that may change in the future since it seems newer versions of the Synaptics driver don't work with this system, and of course I may want to update those drivers in the future. For everything else I'm running what Dell provides.

1. Because Secure Boot can get in the way and tutorials are designed to ensure the maximum success rate for the greatest number of people. But Windows 8/8.1 work with Secure Boot/UEFI perfectly, so there's no reason to turn it off especially given that both have some benefits of their own. But if you were installing Windows 7, you'd have to disable Secure Boot and unless you applied slight modifications to your Windows 7 install media, you'd also have to disable UEFI since the Windows 7 install files don't have the right files in the right place for a UEFI installation by default.
    2. Without seeing a screenshot it'd be hard to speculate, but you'll have at LEAST a small Windows Recovery Environment partition, a required EFI System partition, and the OS partition. From there the Dell image probably adds a factory image recovery partition, and you also might have a Rapid Start hibernation partition. I SEEM to remember that on my out-of-box build there seemed to be two different recovery partitions which I couldn't explain, but I never investigated. I was going to wipe it anyway.
    3. Yep, even 8.1 isn't perfect with respect to scaling, but it should get better as apps become more scaling-aware and can take advantage of the new scaling APIs that Windows 8.1 added.
    4. The hard-drive package driver is simpler; it just extracts the files and (often) launches an installer. The Windows package is a more idiot-proof package that runs extra checks (like whether this driver is compatible with your system, whether the OS is right, etc) and does everything silently in the background. I personally prefer the former because I get more visibility and control over the installation process, can modify things if I need to (or force drivers to install that I know will work even though Dell might not technically support them on my system), and because I tend to favor less complexity when it's not needed -- but the Windows package might be easier for people who get anxious when they see an install screen with choices. ;) Of course the Windows packages even have an "Extract only" option (which they didn't used to), so maybe the former package will eventually be phased out.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Judging by the numbers, the 91WHr should give you 50% more battery life away from an outlet. Although even if you'll be using it for the same amount of time away from an outlet (i.e. not taking advantage of the larger capacity much), then the long-term longevity of the battery should be significantly increased since the fixed amount of wear you're imposing will be spread over a larger battery cell area.

But yes, good thing you were able to cancel the 2.5" order. I thought I remember explicitly saying that in order to use the larger battery you'd have to go mSATA-only for storage when you originally brought this up earlier? ;)