XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The warranty is international. My understanding is that if Dell sells your computer in a country then you can have yours serviced there. I don't know if they will actually send an on-site technician in every country.

2. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To follow up on this, I have figured out that if I press CTRL first then it works fine. If I press FN first it does not work. Pressing them both is a crapshoot. This is a big relief as I can now use the keyboard with very little adjustment.

The only other issue has been that my right arrow key got stuck twice, but that was kind of random so I'm not too concerned as long as it doesn't keep happening.

3. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did some gaming testing tonight. I played the first level of Hard Reset and then Crysis 2 for a little bit. It is very odd - the GPU runs at 405 MHz (according to MSI afterburner and HWInfo64) the whole time with gaming, but the system still seemed to perform well. I ran 3DMark11 and got right around where notebookcheck did (P2967, see attached screenshot) so it seems like it is performing fine, despite the low clock speed. This seems really odd to me, since I was expecting it to clock at 941 MHz range, but if the system performs well, I guess it doesn't matter. I am using the latest non-beta driver from NVIDIA (331.82) with the power management setting set to "Prefer maximum performance", if that is of interest. Has anyone else seen this low clock speed but expected performance anomaly?

Dell XPS 15-9530 3DMark11 Run.PNG

I also got the low memory thing after playing Crysis 2 for 30 minutes or so. I will try playing with the touchpad disabled and see if that makes a difference, but I suspect it is some Dell crapware that I need to get rid of with a fresh install.

4. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wanna see a demo of how incredibly awesome the XPS 15 IZGO QHD+ display is? Install this, then (very important) right-click the program shortcut, go to properties/compatibility and check 'disable display scaling..."

Whorld - Home

Turn up the brightness all the way, F11 for full-screen and grab the pattern with your finger on the touchscreen...

5. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same thing is happening to me when playing LoL, warning message about low memory despite only have 2GB used up. Game still works fine but when the game ends my desktop goes completely blue and the metro interface looks weird. I don't know what's causing it. And it specifically says to close the LoL client, not any other process.

6. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's called thermal throttling, when GPU hits 80°C starts to decrease its clock.

7. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    U might want to try checking your dgpu clock speeds with gpu-z. For me my dgpu runs at full clock whenever I play smth (e.g. skyrim).

I'm not going for a new fresh and clean installation of windows 8.1... Should I just use the drivers from the xps 15 wiki or directly from intel/nvidia? E.g. the latest HD 4600 driver from intel won't install (not certificated for this laptop).

Also no Dell bloatware on my new installation <3

8. *Snow*

*Snow* Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have both chrome and firefox installed (as well as IE of course) and I switch between them depending upon the webpage. I use firefox most of the time on this machine because the scaling is better for most webpages, but sometimes chrome works better for some streaming sites.

9. teh_crab

teh_crab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Finally after some long delays, I'll have my new XPS 15 (9530) in my safe little hands tomorrow morning! After some previous decisions in this thread (I purchased the mid-tier model - 1TB + Cache) I will be removing both drives, replacing it with my newly purchased 500GB Samsung Evo and replacing the 61WHr 6-Cell Battery with the larger 91WHr 6-Cell Battery (currently in discussions with Dell AU as, as you can imagine an uphill battle trying to get them to sell me the battery without installation fees etc haha).

Note: Has anyone out of interest successfully achieved the above mod that I'm about to partake - will ensure to get pictures for people as reference :)

My question is, as most of these Laptops no longer come accompanied by DVDs with the OS/Software on them (gone are the good ol' days of drink coasters and actual CD/DVD Drives!) what is the best method (presumably before I remove the original HDDs) to make a 'back-up' of Windows 8.1 for 'future' re-formats?

Outside of that - and I believe the above poster was asking the same question - is it best to still go to the Dell website for Drivers or source the 'latest and greatest' from their respective websites?

10. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can't put a standard 2.5" SSD and contemporaneously put 91WHr battery, because there is no space for both.
    With 91WHr battery you can use only SSD with mSATA form factor.