XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nk2013

nk2013 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The NFC sensor is on the touchpad. To control the NFC chip, go to PC settings and then network. There you will find the on/off switch. To share using NFC, go to the charms bar and select share. Then select tap and send. This will allow you to send data to another device. Took me some trial and error to make use of the NFC chip. Not many apps yet for it.
    To get a link from the phone, have NFC enabled and just place the phone on the touchpad with the site opened on the phone.
    Hope this helps.

If there is anyone who knows of some apps for nfc file sharing, please post.

w3thax likes this.
  2. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got anyone games like Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3 to scale correct from FHD to fullscreen?

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The newer Synaptics drivers no longer work with this system. You need version 16.3.15.1, which if you Google you can find hosted elsewhere, like here: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/KEYBOARD-and-MOUSE/Synaptics/Synaptics-Touchpad-Driver-163151.shtml. Just remember to disable gestures you don't need, which will make the touchpad livable. The Edge Swipe gesture in particular led to a lot of misinterpreted motions until I turned it off, and I can always edge swipe on the touchscreen itself if I need to.

4. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very interesting the solutions found by Lenovo for the new keyboard of Lenovo X1:

For example there isn't caps lock, its function is reproduced typing 2 times on shift key (just like smartphone and tablet) that includes a led light, instead Dell cuts the key dimensions in a ridiculous way just like for the Enter Key.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  5. johnnierockit

johnnierockit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Did a lot of testing... for me it seems like this GPU/Laptop has major bugs/problems with OpenGL. I guess it's because of the driver:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-lag-window-mode-perfect/2/?offset=24#4079951

Maybe someone can try out some OpenGL game? E.g.

QUAKE LIVE (free download + small game), run , join server.. com_maxfps 250.. at fullhd with lowest settings. Normally the XPS 15 should reach 700+ fps.. but I can't even get 200 in fullscreen.

7. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Damn it. Dead pixel spotted.

Apparently it is just one, but is pretty in the center of the screen. Is so small that most of the time I wouldn't notice it, but now that I know I will probably look in that area more often. Nevertheless, I am in doubt about asking for a replacement: I don't know how much time it would take to receive it, I am leaving the country in these days - by the way, does anybody knows if the guarantee can be asked even for a different address to the one they shipped to? - and in the end is just one...

8. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will try Quake Live for you.

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can have parts and service sent to an address other than the one the machine was shipped to. I do it all the time if I need a tech to work on my system at work (even though the machine originally shipped to home) or if I'm on vacation or have moved. I think it even works internationally (definitely does for ProSupport) but I haven't tested that myself.

ZephirSt likes this.
  10. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Thanks, this is pretty much the config which I am using (low graphics config):
    http://beasty.bestmail.ws/etconfig/beAsty-q3.zip

just set "com_maxfps 250" and make sure you have fullscreen at 1920x1080
    vsync, tripple buffering and threaded optimization should be "off" in nvidia control panel for quakelive.exe , launcher.exe and awesomium_process.exe