XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nons_

nons_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I saw it already in a local Dell store here in Singapore.

2. byunnbi

byunnbi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I think I'm missing something obvious to others--how are you (and others I've read) installing any non-Dell synaptics/touchpad drivers? Initially I tried installing the generic ones on Synaptics' site, but that install would fail (even when running as admin). I then came across a post on Lenovo's forums about disabling Windows' digital signed driver restriction and followed instructions there, but I'm still getting the same error of "failed installation." Oh, and of course, I did uninstall the "Dell Touchpad" and associated drivers in Device Manager, then restarted, before attempting to install the generic/custom drivers.

3. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Received my top-tier yesterday. Mine does make whining sound that sounds like the sounds others have described when fully charged and plugged in. It was not as noticeable (for me) as I expected. I only noticed when in a near-silent room, while I was listening for it. I think my Clevo makes that sound as well, but I can only hear it when the fans and HDD are off and only when my ear is right next to it. Apart from that, this computer is silent unless there is a load. The screen is amazing. I'm not sure how I feel about some of the super large and super small text I keep seeing when using scaling, so I'm using 1080p with no scaling currently. Battery life has been great so far. BatteryBar reports about 10-11W on idle. It is on pace to get 8-9 hours of battery life with fairly light usage. I did notice the screen yellowing when viewing from the side, however I rarely look at the screen from that angle, so I'm not too concerned about it. I have not tested gaming yet.

My biggest concern is I am having issues with getting CTRL-page up, page down, home and end to register consistently. ALT-page up, etc. appear to work fine. I've tried both CTRL keys and I have the same issue. It is very intermittent. CTRL and FN by themselves work just fine as well. I never had this issue with by XPS 14 previously and I don't recall anyone mentioning this (I've kept up on most of the thread, so I'm not saying this blindly). I've done the A01 BIOS update and the QHD+ firmware update, though this seems like more of a hardware issue than a software issue. Has anyone else had an issue with this? If so, how were you able to resolve it?

4. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I perfectly know is not dell's fault. I believe is some windows crap. I checked at the moment the message came up, and there were more or less 2gb used overall. So not even a memory leak, but then I don't know what to think.

5. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
  6. vayu64

vayu64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

7. WideBlackWings

WideBlackWings Newbie

Reputations:
    It's f**ked, you need to get it changed.

8. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my top tier on 30.12.2013 and so far I am very happy with it.

Screen is great and I really enjoy touch. The trackpad isn't interesting for me because I am always using an external keyboard and mouse with two screen setup.

The only problems I have:

1. Scaling doesn't work properly with two screens (internal QHD and external FHD) and some applications are blurry
    2. The whining noise is just horrible. Unfortunately my mouse started to do similiar noises and I have to replace it now, because the XPS does enough whining for alle devices here...

Has anyone a solution for Chrome scaling? If I activate the hidpi support under flags I can't use Chrome anymore. See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=149881#c128

Can anyone explain me how to use NFC? I don't have any idea how to use it on this notebook. There is no application for it and I don't even now where the sensor is. Would love to share links between my HTC One and the XPS via NFC.

9. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    I also thought scaling with external screen is buggy. Actually all you have to do it let "windows" do its scaling automatically. For QHD + FHD I set:
    - Uncheck "Manually set scaling for all devices".
    - Put the slider on the 3rd scale (from left).

That works fine for me since windows will detect each display and scale accordingly (so my FHD doesn't get scaled at all while my QHD screen gets scaled).

Zoomsday likes this.
  10. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I'm using the same settings, but it is a bit unsharp now on the FHD screen now.

EDIT: It was blurry. But it isn't anymore. Just checked again. Great. :D