XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is funny.

Was playing some Dota2 - still have to find the best settings, so suggestions are welcome! - and all of a sudden windows bring me to to the desktop with a warning about "running out of memory, close the following program (dota 2), etc."

Seriously? Am I running out of memory with 16GB of RAM? I have never even seen this warning with my previous laptop (just 4GB), on which I played this same game a lot and used even more memory hungry applications.

2. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great news for Adobe users who are dealing with absurd Adobe scaling problems on the QHD+ display. It's not a proper fix, but someone has figured out how to at least get all Adobe apps to obey Windows scaling settings. This is huge. No more tiny toolbars and menus, and no more logging out of Windows to change resolution+scaling settings for Adobe CS apps. Add a registry key and create a short text file and Adobe apps UI will scale to a manageable size. Details:

Hack makes Photoshop and Illustrator readable on Surface Pro

Note that this hack will work for any Adobe app, not just Photoshop and Illustrator. Just use the Illustrator xml code linked in the article, name the text file to whatever the program is called +.manifest and add it to the executable's directory.

Before you get too excited, this hack does not properly scale the programs at 1800p. Text and icons are now a readable size, but not as sharp as they would be with true scaling. But the result is quite good -- essentially the same thing you get now by dropping the display resolution and scaling at 100%. Unfortunately, in Photoshop, this means that the images are still scaled along with the UI, which isn't good. Unlike the properly-scaled Adobe Lightroom, you lose the display resolution of 1800p. But if you don't need the full dpi of the display, you are in good shape. You can even work on hi-res images with UI unscaled, then switch to scaled for low-res work simply by renaming the xml file and restarting Photoshop. Without ever leaving native display resolution. No Windows logout. In Premiere, Dreamweaver, etc you don't need all that screen real estate anyway, so it's a totally workable solution until Adobe gets their sh-t together and properly addresses this problem.

EDIT: Actually, there is a really easy way to switch the scaling hack on and off. Once the registry and manifest are set up, you can just check/uncheck 'Disable display scaling on high dpi diplays' in the compatibility tab of the program properties.

Also remember that if/when Adobe does release a hidpi update for a particular program, you'll have to delete its external manifest file, otherwise the Adobe scaling won't work.

M_Bos and matthiasdeblaiser like this.
  3. Super Hans

Super Hans Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does Costco US ship to Canada? Or conversely how were you able to get Costco CA to ship to US?

4. dgently

dgently Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, I am living in Canada. I was just commenting because I have seen posts (and there is mention in the wiki) of the limitation of the Costco warranty, and without this limitation in Canada, it is a very good deal (apart from the fact that the price in Costco.ca is generally 2199$ except that is was on sale for a while at 1999$).
    I got the top spec model for 1999$+99$ for the 3 year accidental damage protection.

paulthuong likes this.
  5. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably a silly question, but have you disabled vsync? That might be limiting your FPS in full screen.

6. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Where did you find that accidental damage protection? I also ordered from Costco.ca and that's a steal!

Also, did they charge you tax? The system didn't charge me tax on the order yet, so my total came to just over $2000. I think they'll notice and update it right as the computer ships, but it's strange that the cart didn't notice it in the mean time.

7. dgently

dgently Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is the link for the extended warranty with ADH:
    Excellence Plus+ 3 Year Warranty for Computers Over $500

It is such a steal because they have two categories. under 500$ and over 500$.

I did get the sales tax calculated in.
    When did you order? when is your estimated delivery date? mine is the 27thof Jan, hope with the recent movement, it comes earlier...

8. ajax-jp

ajax-jp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This isn't likely the laptop at fault at all, but rather some software you have installed on it (it could even be something from Dell) that has a memory leak. I've played dota 2 for hours on this laptop and my desktop and it never complains about running out of memory. It looks like someone mentioned that the touchpad drivers may even have a memory leak. I surely doubt you're playing dota w/the touchpad, but I also have it disabled when a mouse is plugged in.

I've also noticed a few pieces of the Dell software that will steal the focus from any app you're running which is really obnoxious. That also means they're operating in the background and they could be using up ram.
    Either way, check your system and see how much ram is committed (ctrl+shift+esc, click advanced, go to performance).
    In the event that you're seeing 10+ gig committed to ram on that tab, switch over to the processes tab and sort by memory and see what is causing it.
    Let us know when you find it.

9. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe this info could be useful to people that want upgrade the mid tier model.
    It seems the Samsung mSATA PM841 is no more available in Europe (it wasn't ever available through regular retail channel)
    but though Amazon (.it/.de) a reseller has the PM851 that seem better than PM841

Samsung PM851 256GB mSata Internal SSD Solid state: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Samsung PM851 512GB mSata Internal SSD Solid state: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Anyhow I suggest to wait until 840 EVO msata hits the market, because seems that this time Samsung will use official retail channel to sell this unit, while PM851 doesn't seems to come from official retail channel, also the price of PM851 256GB is competitive with the Crucial M500 480GB.

10. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ordered around Dec 8. They got the order in to Dell on the 13th. My eta is also the 27th, but we'll just have to wait and see.