XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Rapid Start install guide is here for UEFI and here for MBR; unless you're running your BIOS in legacy mode, you should be set up for UEFI. You're probably getting that error because you haven't set up the hibernation partition properly first, which is required before the app will install. I wouldn't have expected even the BIOS option to be grayed out before setting up the partition, but I suppose that's possible.

If you replaced the 32GB SSD with a 256GB unit, hopefully you changed the SATA mode from Smart Response to AHCI so the SSD is exposed as a separate device. Not doing that wouldn't stop you from using Rapid Start, but it would stop you from installing the OS onto the SSD.

2. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    I believe it's a problem with OpenGL games (or generally quake3 engine games). I tried another quake3 engine game (Wolfenstien - Enemy Territory) in which I should atleast get 900fps+.. but I can't even get 200. So yes, the handling between igpu and dgpu seems to be weird.

I believe it's a problem with OpenGL games (or generally quake3 engine games). I tried another quake3 engine game (Wolfenstien - Enemy Territory) in which I should atleast get 900fps+.. but I can't even get 200

That is hardly possible ;P The game is based on an old engine with really low graphics. Normally I should be able to get ~700-900fps. However it is maxed at 250 due to server restrictions.

3. savingpvtbryan

savingpvtbryan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks!! This helped a lot. I installed Windows 8.1 using UEFI so this was exactly what I needed.

4. Cincinnatux

Cincinnatux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just posting a quick State of the Wiki before shutting down for the night. At this point, the XPS 15 wiki is up to 32 separate pages of content, almost entirely derived from the first 128 pages of this thread. I still need to comb through the past 7 weeks or so of content (pages 129-279), but the wiki as it stands has the bases mostly covered. Don't be surprised if you see a page on there indicating a solution that has already been improved here; I will get to it eventually if it has been posted here.

In the meantime, I invite you all to check the wiki out and add your own thoughts, or place requests for content you think would benefit the wiki, even if you are not willing (or able) to commit to providing it yourself. I prioritize my efforts based on what *I* personally want to see in there, so I have no objection to somebody else completely shaking things up on the wiki or even taking over administration of it.

By all means, refer new people to the wiki when they ask questions that you're sure were answered back in October or November. That's the whole point of the wiki - reduce the amount of effort our XPS enthusiasts are spending repeating themselves and allowing more room for new solutions and tips to emerge.

Happy new year, all.

2IRS, adlerhn and kaborchers like this.
  5. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The new Dell QHD+ Touch Panel Firmware Update did absolutely *nothing* to fix my touchpad issues. What (if anything) it did for the touch panel (screen) I don't know. I cannot perceive any difference. I've tested with both the original Dell touchpad drivers (17.0.13.0) and the other drivers from Synaptics (version 16.3.15.1) that I prefer for their improved scrolling.

Edit: To be clear, I can detect no improvement in scrolling, touchpad sensitivity, or gesture behavior. I wouldn't have expected it to, but several people reported an amazing change - and I'm calling bunk on that.

I will say that the firmware updater gave me some trouble when it first ran - but that may have been due to the fact that I didn't run it as administrator the first time. Eventually it ran, but said that it failed at about 58%. I rebooted the machine and ran the update again and it said that the latest firmware was installed. My guess is that the verify operation (which usually happens during the second half of a firmware update) is what failed - though I can't be 100% sure.

Occasionally (very rarely) my XPS 15 would not wake up correctly when woken up. The display would remain off. Closing the lid or pressing the power button to put it back to sleep and the resuming again *always* fixed that. I'll keep an eye out to see if the update fixes that issue as it may have been related to the touch screen, though I doubt it. I've never had an issue with the touch screen not working when the computer is resumed from sleep.

6. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Could you add the link to the Wiki to your signature? It nearly defeats the purpose of having it someone has to sift through 100 pages of content to find the link. :p

7. uhbijn

uhbijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the XPS 15 really have this much problems? Some sound ignorable, but the coil whine and display going out makes it like a deal breaker.

That aside, does Dell offer the Windows 8.1 Reinstallation DVD when purchasing computers/laptops?

8. seancho

seancho Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't know if it is really 'professional' but here is a color profile made with an X-rite I1 Pro screen calibration device for my 3200x1800 display. This profile yields a delta-e of about 1 on my Windows 8.1 system. That means that the difference between the colors produced by my display and reference color values is too small to be detected by the human eye. A very good result.

I'm curious how this profile would measure up on other displays, but one would assume that it would be similar on the same hardware/software. If you want to try it, right click the profile to install. Then select as default in Color Management. This profile was made for 120 cd/m2 brightness level, which is a common standard. On my XPS that is approx the 4th level up with the brightness keys. That is, start at the lowest brightness, then click up 3 times.

View attachment XPS15.zip

9. gdir13

gdir13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In reply to myself:

After talking to the Dell support multiple times they finally found out that my order of two XPS 15 9530 was cancelled, just because the optionally ordered Mini-Display Port to VGA cable is out of stock (or production). The XPS 15 itself can still be ordered with estimated delivery in 4 weeks here in Europe.

Dell cancelled two orders of nearly 2500 € each, just because two cables of 25 € were out of stock. Silly. I'm unable to place a new order, because they cancelled my order, but forgot the cancel the authorization hold on my credit card as well. I'm quite pissed off. I would really like to buy these XPS 15.

10. devize

devize Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been trying to install your modded synaptics drivers but I haven't had any luck getting it to work. I followed your instructions and then installed the Touchpad_Synaptics_W8.14_X09_A01_Setup-09P23_ZPE.exe driver to get it to work but no luck. Is there any link to the Dell drivers that you've used that work with your modded synaptics drivers to get the synaptics functionality? I really just want to use any synaptics drivers over the Dell ones as I don't like the Dell drivers. None of the versions I've tried have worked .