XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. chasgames

chasgames Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Should be fine in Chrome Desktop mode and IE.

Firefox is tiny for me.

2. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Oh crap... :/

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Meh, I'm not too worried. I feel like by now Samsung's SSD firmware has matured to a very reasonable level, so further improvements would be incremental at best. I really wish the SM841 firmware had native support for eDrive to allow BitLocker to use its hardware-level encryption, but even that's not a major issue for me. But if it bugs you that much, mSATA versions of the 840 Evo were just announced.

zakazak likes this.
  4. Arrau

Arrau Newbie

Reputations:
    I have read a review, they state that the GT 750M graphic card works better then any laptop on the market right now, 3dmark11 reached 2900 (normal 2600). Is that true?

5. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When I bought from the US previously, the Dell laptops with 3 years warranty was international and I could fix my Dell in Canada.

6. dgently

dgently Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, but the Costco US warranty seems to only cover up to 1400$, whereas the Canadian one seems to be full (in the fine print it says up to the value of the notebook per repair), and they replace the notebook, etc. always mentioning original purchase value, and no mention of other maximum. Seems like a great deal for 99$. This was one of the reasons I ordered from Costco.ca

7. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It'd be best if you can find the specific review, but I doubt it.

The 750M is the middle-tier GPU in this generation. Other computers have 760M's, 765M's, 780M's, etc (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M - NotebookCheck.net Tech for a rundown of the 780 and links to the other options) which are each a step above the last.

8. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's true just because it uses GDDR5 instead of DDR3, but many users have reported a throttling issue on GPU (even if it's used on hard surface).

Damn, my XPS was delivered just today (4 days before scheduled delivery) but just today I have left the delivery destination... :rolleyes:

9. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is true. The reason this iteration of the GT 750M is faster is because it uses GDDR5 instead of DDR3 memory (most use DDR3). My 3DMark11 scores shaded closer to 3000 than 2900. It's a very good performer in a pretty package. One of the reasons this machine is special, for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. ZephirSt

ZephirSt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Serious issue now: since the beginning I noticed that if i put it on sleep - closing the lid for instance - and I leave it sleeping for more than just few mintues - let's say 1 hour -, then it was pretty slow at turing back on. The keyboard was highligting but there were 30ish seconds before the screen was back displaying something. Since a turn on from shut down is 6ish seconds, that sounded strange.

The problem is now: same behaviour, I close the lid, left it for 3 hours-ish, and now doesn't turn on. Keyboard and power button are illuminated, but black screen. Inputing doesn't change anything, and now even the fans started whirling, something that never happened at all so far during normal usage.