XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Afy

Afy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As far as warranty and replacement go, Dell is difficult to beat. Especially if you get their accidental cover as well. In my opinion its well worth the money, and the NBD service is hard to beat.

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No need to disable Rapid Start OR Rapid Storage. Rapid Start is totally usable on an SSD, and Rapid Storage is the AHCI driver. You mean Smart Response. Rapid Start may need to be reconfigured though since I don't know whether the hibernation partition survives an image and restore.

But unless the Win8.1 system image tool has become a lot less picky than Win7's, I doubt this will work. First, the HDD partition will be larger, so the utility will complain about that even if the amount of space actually USED on the partition that was backed up would fit on the new SSD. Second, the Win7 image utility errors out even if there's an additional disk in the new system compared to what was there when the system was imaged -- it even counted the boot flash drive I was using!! I eventually figured out that I had to remove the boot flash drive after the recovery environment loaded but before choosing restore for it to work. Since your system will have two internal disks present whereas the pre-image environment only had one (the cache drive was hidden), this may not work. But again, Win8.1's utility may be more tolerant.

Even if It's just as picky, you could probably make it work by jumping through enough hoops (shrinking there partition pre-capture and extending it post-restore, disconnecting the spinning drive during the restore to keep the number of disks consistent, etc), but even then you might have an issue with Windows loading the "RAID" (Smart Response) version of the AHCI driver per your previous BIOS setting and now requiring the regular AHCI driver. There may be a workaround for that too, but honestly I'd just do a clean install and get all the drivers manually. A build intended for an HDD won't be quite appropriate when used on an SSD anyway. For example, Smart Connect will be off, Rapid Start may be off (especially if you have 16GB of RAM), and Smart Response will be on, which is all backwards for an SSD setup.

To switch to AHCI, just enter the BIOS (F2 key) and in one of those menus the SATA mode will be set to Intel Smart Response; there aren't many options in there, so it won't be hard to find. Just change that and done. But I agree the data on the spinning drive MIGHT not be readable after that until you format (or switch that setting back), which would be yet another roadblock from restoring from any image, Dell or otherwise.

3. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not exactly the same class pc. The Lenovo is thicker/heavier and if configured with 512gb SSD like the Dell the price advantage starts to go away especially since it cant take 16gb RAM or the NVidia that the Dell has. So it's a no contest for me. The only thing it has going for it is the keyboard, but then again that can be said for all laptops as Lenovo has the best keyboard on laptops among all companies imo but that is not enough to make me pick it.

4. lamberbee

lamberbee Newbie

Reputations:
    Also found this forum ... as I am a proud owner of the new XPS15 Haswell but sadly enough also having problems with system.
    Concerning connectivity ...

Wireless 2.4Ghz 802.11gn works fine but the 5Ghz 802.11a doesn't. The 5G connects fine but with limited connectivity and therefore no access to internet nor the router in my network. According to Dell the problem is:

- Windows 8.1 and drivers: well, got the latest one, V16.5.3.6 which is not even available on the support website
    - McAfee Internet security: Maybe remove it and test again
    - My Asus RT-AC66U router that could not be W8.1 compatible. Updated already to the latest version, other devices connect.

Last resort is a full reinstall of the XPS system. Drastic, so before doing that I want to check if someone has the same problem?
    Any feedback what exacty the issue is ... and hopefully a resolution?

Thanks

5. Cincinnatux

Cincinnatux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had planned on buying a T540p last summer when I realized my aging laptop would not do what I want it to do. After combing over every scrap of info that leaked out I finally realized that Lenovo's vision for the T540p is as a budget ThinkPad rather than as a performance machine despite the naming scheme.

The T540p is not even trying to compete with the XPS 15 any more, if it ever was.

That being said, there are reasons you might still prefer it. But you should probably compare the T440s to the XPS 15. They have more in common.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is only one review published on the T540p and it is scathing. So if you are still leaning toward the T540p please wait for more reviews to surface so you can be more confident that the first review is off the mark (though I found it fair and well considered).

via Tapatalk and my S4

6. Ryanb22

Ryanb22 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the mid level xps
    An selected the Lightroom 5 ( upsell) choice digital download

Can any 1 actually tell me what is upsell and why is it the dearest option for Lightroom
    Thanks

7. c0derbear

c0derbear Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FWIW, I have Win 8.1 on my L521X, I have an Intel 7260 WLAN card (same as your Haswell ships with I think), and an Asus RT-AC66U at home. I don't have any problems with 5 Ghz connections, but I'm using 802.11ac not just 802.11a. My wife's XPS Studio 1645 with Intel 7260 and Win 8.0 also has no problems.

I'd try setting up different network names for 2.4 vs 5 Ghz on the Asus and explicitly attach to the 5 Ghz one.

It's possible that your machine is deciding to use the 2.4 Ghz connection owing to signal strength or some other metric. If you have both nets configured with the same SSID and password then you leave it up to the machines to negotiate.

You could also, for testing sake, turn off the 2.4 Ghz band on the Asus.

8. w3thax

w3thax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is strange. Mine got shipped later then yours and will arrive earlier;

Estimated delivery: 30.12.2013

Link started to work this afternoon.

9. hatchaxe

hatchaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for clearing that up.

10. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    here we go again, first i tried dell tech support, and they are useless
    my computer can not detect my location, and the tech cannot get it to work either...any thoughts?
    i used bing maps, they could not detect, then i uninstalled and reinstalled...still nothing. dell tech suggested using another map app, so i went to google, and it cannot detect my location either.

does it matter that i am tethered to wifi through my samsung galaxy s4? i mean, the phone can locate itself, as well as the ipad air i also have tethered...it locates itself as well...computer though, it has no idea where i am