XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keyboard backlight can certainly be disabled; there's a dedicated function key for it along the F key row. It's also available in Windows Mobility Center if you have Dell Quickset installed.

Hmm, my old M6300 makes even more noise than my XPS 15, and that noise got louder when I upgraded the GPU in that system from the Quadro 1600M to the 3600M, I presume because power consumption increased. The only Lenovo systems I've used with any regularity are the T410, T420s, T510, and T520 though, none of which required more than 90W power bricks when used undocked.

2. hephooey

hephooey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I asked Dell to replace the motherboard/battery, but they told me this week they do not have motherboard until next year, so they decided to send me a new machine next week. Hopefully it will not have the whining or the charging issue.

After using this laptop seriously for a few days, I notices the coil whine is not limited to the case when the AC is on and battery fully charged, there is a different coil lower in volume but higher in tone when I am using the battery, and I had once the coil whine presisted even when I put the laptop into sleep, only when I completely shut it down the hiss disappeared. Very strange, I never had this kind of experience before.

3. solo8

solo8 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since we're talking about MBP's I gotta say I got a MBP 13 and it SUCKED. I wanted to try apple and I wanted to like it but the OS was horrible. I have last year's Asus UX31A ultrabook and it's amazing compared to the MBP.

The photo viewer was awkward, the trackpad WASN'T that great at all, and at the end of it all after accepting these annoyances the hard drive FAILED. lol

It was my very first apple product and when I went into the apple store I asked them "Is this what everyone raves about?" The guy just nervously chuckled.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the XPS 15. It's not due until 1/24/2014 so I'll likely get updated parts and hopefully no problems.

I gave them a chance. Never again, Apple.

4. arass

arass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to chime in quickly. Bought the top end XPS 15, This forum was very helpful although reading people's problems made me worried enough I bought from costco so I could return it if I got a dud. Have had the computer for a little over a week now and very happy so far. Wireless is super fast, screen is great, keyboard is nice (coming from a thinkpad, the key travel is a bit short, but overall it feels good). I can barely hear anything from it. If i really listen at dead silence there is a whine, but quieter than my previous laptops. not sure if some people have a worse whine, or more sensitive ears or some combination. Battery life seems good so far. not 9 hours of normal use, but probably 5-6. I have made no effort to extend battery life yet, so more might be possible with some tweaks.

Main point is that I took the plunge and am happy with it. 2 minor gripes, the edge in front is a bit sharp, so digs into your palms or wrists. am considering covering the edge with electrical tape though that will loose some elegance, would be interested if others have solutions. Also it gets a bit hot on your lap. not uncomfortable but noticeable

5. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think Dell did a tremendous job with this laptop. It feels like a tank and OS is great with great battery life for me. And also AC wifi is a game changer for me. It has drastically improved performance of my Synology 1512 NAS.

6. Cincinnatux

Cincinnatux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In light of the recent spate of "I hate brand X because reason Y" I feel compelled to chime in. Some of this commentary is relevant and helpful, but much is not. Here's how I understand the difference between the two:

HELPFUL:
    The person who chose a rMBP over an XPS-15 because they ultimately prefer the Apple experience enough to pay the $300 premium.
    The person who chose an XPS-15 over a rMBP because they found that the software they wanted to run simply works better in a Windows universe and they don't like running Windows on Apple hardware.

These views are helpful because they offer datapoints from which shoppers might make a more informed decision. It is useful to know with some granularity *how much* effort is required to take the raw platform and turn it into something that works best for your usage needs. The Apple experience may not be a great fit, but a system that doesn't let you customize it by definition tends to have less set-up effort involved. For most of us, we *can* get the Dell to be a better fit for us than the rMBP, but only if we put effort into it. How much effort can matter enough for it not to be worthwhile for some. This forum is a great place to learn whether that is true for each of us.

NOT HELPFUL:
    The person who chose a rMBP because Apple does everything better.
    The person who chose an XPS-15 because Apple sucks.

Most people here have gravitated to the XPS-15 for a variety of reasons. Several folks here have ultimately concluded that the user experience on the Dell (having to manage video scaling, having to troubleshoot touchpad issues, having to live with unexpected noises, etc) was not enough to justify owning an XPS-15 at its ~2K price, and those viewpoints are useful for all. *Most* folks here seem willing to accept these (minor) frustrations either to save $300 (or, in the case of Costco shoppers, $600) or to have the flexibility they associate with a Dell machine.

There are good reasons to go Apple and good reasons to go Dell, depending on what matters to the consumer.

So if you have a strong opinion regarding the superiority of one over the other, please recognize that superiority is a matter of opinion and that there are respectable ways of asserting opinions.

I apologize for being pedantic. But I value this thread and the wealth of useful information that keeps popping up here, and I would hate to see it dissolve into a lot of troll-baiting (or, in the old school vernacular, 'flaming').

7. Afy

Afy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's here.... boy it is gorgeous. Makes my old XPS Studio look like a piece of junk. Just setting up all the updates et al...
    No whine et al... :)

8. hatchaxe

hatchaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got an email from Dell today apologizing that the laptop been delayed. It says that if I dont get a shipping notice in the next 2 business days then I will get another email with an update.

Cincinnatux likes this.
  9. Cincinnatux

Cincinnatux Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd be curious to know/see what others are using to carry or protect their XPS. While waiting oh-so-impatiently for mine to arrive, I went ahead and cobbled a sleeve together out of some remnant upholstery fabric I bought at a big-box store. I don't know crap about sewing, but it turns out that a laptop sleeve is a ridiculously simple thing to plan and execute. The biggest challenge was figuring how to set up and troubleshoot the sewing machine. :rolleyes:

I still plan on adding some loop & toggle sets for buttoning the sleeve shut, but that'll have to wait until next week when I get time to work on the project some more. Free time has been hard to come by ever since I made the foolhardy decision to become a dad. ;)

For the curious:
    sleeve1.jpg sleeve2.jpg

10. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is very cool.

I use the official Dell Leather case for mine and I like it.