XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hatchaxe

hatchaxe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    lets not turn this into an apple vs dell thread.

comparing the two is fine, but debating which company is better and so on is a topic for a different thread :)

to get back on topic, so far i havnt received any shipping notice, my dell account still shows order shipment "estimated delivery date" for Dec 18th.

2. Afy

Afy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My Surface is a Gen 1. So I got one of the millions that would have rotted +1.

Demand has nothing to do with supply. Dell didn't order enough screens or whatever because they underestimated demand. It happens with stuff worth having.

For someone who is regarded as a virtuoso please do come up with rational arguments.

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Come on guys, let's keep comments productive and on-topic. We've managed to keep things that way for a whopping 246 pages already (not even counting the 123 pages of the M3800 thread), which is pretty incredible considering the average quality of user-generated content on the Internet overall. Let's not derail the thread after we've come this far.

Stere0 likes this.
  4. Afy

Afy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I agree.. and have you received it?

I am just sick of all the underhand bashing going on. You don't like the laptop don't buy it. You think there is no substitute for a MBP.. why bother?
    Don't like the touchpad.. use a mouse.
    There is a whine, pressure points... et al. That is what warranty is for.

Yes this can be classified as the Ferrari of laptops. Unfortunately unless you have actually owned a Ferrari you wont know how unreliable the cars are. Fortunately Dell isn't Ferrari.

krayziehustler likes this.
  5. hephooey

hephooey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Besides the quality control issue, like the coil whine and the pressure point, I think MBP's advantages is mostly in the OS, which is expected cause apple can tailor their OS for their particular laptop to squeeze out every drop of juice out of the hardware. I do not see much difference in the machine itself, and I actually prefer to have USB instead of Thunderbolt. I use linux so I share the poor experience most people have about the system and the touchpad. And I am pretty sure after a while people/Dell will figure out how to modify Windows to suit this particular laptop.

6. BGM

BGM Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what are people doing with the coil whine issues, i've just recieved an XPS13 and have the same issue.... i think...

7. mircolino

mircolino Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Besides the XPS 15 and the MBP 15, name another 15" laptop with hiDPI screen, a 4th generation i7 and a displayport capable of driving future 4K monitors

Java EE, Tomcat, Glassfish, IntelliJ... the list goes on

I never said Dell is rubbish and I actually really liked the XPS 15 on paper. I was just disappointed to see all the problems it came with once I got it.

I actually like the touchpad... when it works.
    As for the whine and pressure point I had 3 choices:
    1) have Dell replace both motherboard and screen (what else is left) on my brand new unit
    2) send it back and wait >1 month for a replacement
    3) return it and get a MBP

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm doing nothing, for the following reasons:

1. Every other high-powered laptop I've used (i.e. models that require a 130-210W power supply) has had this issue, as well as some models that use more typically-sized power supplies. The electrical engineer who posted about it is reasonably confident that the whine is coming from the large amount of current running from the power brick into the laptop based on the nature of the sound and the conditions under which it occurs. I think that some people complaining about the whine may be new to laptops in this performance bracket and thus not used to it, but it's totally par for the course based on my experience with this type of machine.

2. Although some people have reported that a motherboard replacement has cured the issue, people who have gotten new machines since then are still reporting an issue, which tells me that either there's no fix and it's simply luck of the draw whether you get one with or without a whine, or there HAS been a revision but it hasn't been fully implemented yet. Either way, if I were to request a replacement motherboard now based on this issue, there's no guarantee the new motherboard would be any better.

3. Whenever I request service from a Dell tech, especially fairly involved service like swapping an entire motherboard, I always weigh the expected benefit against the unfortunate risk of an incompetent Dell tech solving one problem and causing another, or a few others. I just had a pretty horrific experience on another system that got a motherboard replacement (because the tech broke a connector on my existing one and then it got worse from there, long story), and I'm not eager to repeat it -- especially if I can't even be confident that a replacement would actually be an improvement. In fact even if I KNEW that the coil whine issue could be fixed with a replacement, I'm not sure it would be worth it to me considering that it doesn't really bother me in the first place, whereas a tech somehow messing up my system in the course of performing service would definitely bother me.

9. BGM

BGM Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting.... Mine only does it when the keyboard backlight is on though.... And it winds me up massively.

Can that be disabled?

Oh yeah, and this is without the power adapter in too, don't know if that means anything?

Might give DELL a bell tomorrow...

10. mr_handy

mr_handy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On Latitude (and PowerEdge server) orders at work, we've had plenty of times where the machine was on-site before Dell sent the ship notice, or the shipment sshowed up on order status. Not very helpful, but if you haven't gotten a delay notice there is a chance . :)

Well, the M3800... and if you don't mind it being a tank, the M4800. Ditto the W540 whenever the heck that ships.

We've got a LOT of developers at my work who take the work-provided desktop, never use it, and buy their own MBP 15". They seem very happy with IntelliJ on it, and our code base is not small.

No noticeable sounds on any of the TONS of W520/W530 around here, nor the one M4700.

OTOH, we didn't notice any noise off the M3800 we tried here (the XPS 15 our rep brought by never got plugged in, AFAICR.)