XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. sanderd

sanderd Newbie

Reputations:
    Same thing for me. 29/11, est. delivery 10/12, phoned helpdesk 9/12 -> sorry mate, major delay, email 11/12 -> delayed to 21/01.
    Received invoice 16/12, according to order status, being 'in delivery' since 14/12. 17/12, still no sign of it @ UPS.

Dell must be trolling us ;)

2. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Someone has said, on an Italian forum, that the UPS tracking number will work only when the box will come in Europe and this will happen just 2 days before delivery.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

3. M_Bos

M_Bos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can confirm this, it's what happened when I ordered the Inspiron 7537. In fact, it didn't show up on UPS' website until the very last day.

Meanwhile, my order's still on "Pre-Production" with an unchanged estimated elivery date of December 27th. Odd.

4. Afy

Afy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So how long does delivery actually take?

5. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like the connector on the Surface 2. More secure than MagSafe and stronger magnets. Though its a bit longer. I hope Dell does something like that moving forward. Having said that, this XPS connector is much smaller than my previous HP so I'm happy

6. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Bah, just realized there is no fingerprint reader :( Best tool to quickly log into windows or "accept" an UAC prompt :(

7. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Boys and Girls...my cell phone connectivity issue is no longer. Wait for it....wait for it....USB cable was the culprit, so far. Still no BT connectivity. But I wasnt eager to use that anyway. I tried three separate USB cables these past few weeks: 1 that came with my 1 year old phone, the samsung galaxy s4, 1 that came with my previous galaxy, the galaxy s2, and 1 a buddy of mine lent me. All 3 had the same issue of rapid connect/disconnect.

so back to best buy i went, after getting my hands on another S4 to see if it had same connection problem with my laptop...it did...so i thought then it was the PHONE that was the issue. so i went back to best buy for a 4th time in as many weeks. i told the SAMSUNG kiosk lady what the issue was...she connected my phone no problem to her laptop using my usb cord...then did same with my laptop, she saw the rapid connect/disconnect. she then pulled out a different USB cord, and it worked. i was able to connect my phone and my computer with this different usb.

so part of my issue is resolved. BT still unresolved...and i still have my replacement machine on its way. i still have the high pitched "buzz" going on...i will have 10 days to return my current machine..so i may use both side by side to see if one is defective moreso than the other before deciding which to send back.

a BIG BIG thank you to everyone helping to troubleshoot this issue...too many names to thank them all. but after trying 3 different USB cables, i didnt think that a 4th would be any different.

thanks again all.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, so I have a quick favor to ask of any XPS 15/M3800 owner; those of you into cars and/or the (sadly) late Paul Walker should enjoy this test.

A while back I noticed a quick moment of audio corruption in one particular song when played back on this system; it didn't occur when using AirPlay to another device or when playing that same file anywhere else. I wrote it off as a driver bug in the initial release since it was so minor and moved on. But today I started watching this YouTube video of Paul Walker's car collection and got a weird squelch and persistent high-pitched tone starting about 2 seconds in, and then severe audio corruption (constant squelches, louder high-pitched tones, etc) roughly 30 seconds into the video when Matt Farrah says "Boss 302". I reproduced it several times at that spot and various other points throughout the clip (using both the built-in speakers and external speakers attached via the headphone jack) and also noticed that it started affecting ANY audio I played. Fwiw, I disabled the MaxxAudio "enhancements" in the Dell Audio applet in Control Panel.

Can anyone else try playing this clip to see whether their audio starts acting up? I'm trying to determine if this is a driver issue or hardware issue: Amazing Car Collection at AE Performance - YouTube

EDIT: I've since uninstalled and reinstalled the existing drivers, and also tried getting drivers directly from Realtek. In both cases, reinstallation seemed to fix the issue temporarily, but it ended up coming back after a while.

9. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    when i get home tonight i will give this a shot, i dont have my machine with me at work...its the least we can all do as you have always been so helpful!

10. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    must be some funky drivers...i experienced the same thing from my work desktop with 8.1 installed...