XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe 3 days with noise, 4 days without. Then the noise come back again?

2. marc515

marc515 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recently received the XPS-15 (9530) Base model and am very pleased thus far.

However, I do have a concern with the charging jack. Is it just me, or does the Charging Jack Connector on the cable feel really cheap? It just doesn't look like it is going to hold up for the long haul.

I've also noticed the connector partially moves our of the computer from the movement while using it on my lap.

I know I've yanked out the charging more than a few times on my old XPS-1640, and it held up like a champ, but not sure this one will.

So in my opinion, this is definitely a potential weak point on the New Dell XPS-15.

I wonder when Dell is going to follow Apple's lead with the Mag Safe charging connector, especially on these newer and thinner machines where there's no room for a larger and stronger jack connector.

3. Ryanb22

Ryanb22 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my xps 15 delivered today and wow I'm luving it
    It was a pain in the to get Lightroom downloaded but got there in the end .
    What a great bit of kit.!
    Ordered 1-12-13 delivered 16-12-13 :)

4. bneslsc

bneslsc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No I can right click, but like you said it's very narrow. Do you know how to do that mapping two finger click thing. I'ts very frustrating..... I can't believe Dell didn't test such things out.

I just tried plugging in a USB mouse.... it's on the max motion speed and it's still too slow. Anyway to increase the motion speed when it's on max?

5. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    MagSafe is patented, so never. Personally I would rather not have the added cost of a MagSafe connector. If you look at the Dell design they actually did a very smart design, and the power jack is separate from the motherboard. This is good because the power jack is typically a strong failure point for laptops (because it is plugged and unplugged so often). It wasn't uncommon for the solder joint to become damaged on the motherboard. With this separate design, if the jack gets damaged it is a simple 10-15$ part replacement and you are good to go.

6. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The clickpad is really only one button. It distinguished left and right click by sensing where your finger is on the touchpad. They probably err on the side of choosing a left click if your finger is close to the middle. I think two finger right click is enabled by default on the Dell drivers (either that or it is an option in the Dell drivers). I tend to use the two finger right click, and the few times when I have had the normal right click fail I have noticed it is because my left hand palm was slightly resting on the touch pad and therefore throwing off the finger detection on the click.

As for the mouse speed, not much you can do. I suspect it is because mouse speed is tied to the resolution and because this is such a high dpi display the pointer speed is going to seem slower than you are used to.

7. snubz

snubz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having trouble connecting my ColorMunki Display. The software keeps saying it is disconnected, even though I can see it in the Devices and Printers page. This should be the same colorimeter as the i1 Pro, which I know people have used successfully.

I've tried all the USB ports + 2 different hubs (1 powered, 1 not), and haven't had any success. Any chance someone got this working, and can give some advice?

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok, on my Synaptics drivers (version 16.3.15.1) if you go into Control Panel > Mouse > Device Settings > Settings, select the Clicking option and then click the gear icon to the right. In there you can set actions for two-finger and three-finger clicks.

As for pointer speed, are you using the slider under just Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options? When I max that out, my external mouse (Logitech Performance MX) is so fast it's completely unusable. The touchpad in that setting isn't quite as bad but would still be a challenge for me to use. For what it's worth, I did NOT install the software for my Logitech mouse because I've found that having both touchpad and USB mouse software installed simultaneously can cause issues, and usually I'm more interested in customizing the touchpad, whereas the external mouse works just fine for my purposes without extra software. Maybe if you installed dedicated software for your external mouse that may be why it's not responding to the pointer speed slider? In that case I'd recommend uninstalling it unless it provides some critical function you need.

9. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is something wrong with USB ports of this notebook, many smartphone have issue connecting to XPS15, and seems even others devices.

Is there anyone that has had success to stop the charge of battery when battery level is 50% or others values lower than 100%?

10. mayureshd

mayureshd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Ryan, do you know when your laptop was shipped ? Also, is this a US order ?

I ordered on 2nd Dec and it showing me a delayed delivery date of Jan 2 instead of Dec 17.