XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Monizzle

Monizzle Newbie

Reputations:
    Apologies for bringing up such an old post but I definitely need some help with my XPS 15, I've been scouring the internet the last few days trying to find info regarding my problem and it seems I'm not the only one. :/
    I bought this with professional photo editing in mind and I am shocked at how overly saturated the colors are on this laptop compared to my desktop IPS monitor that I usually use for editing/proofing/printing photos.
    If I can't get a solution to this issue and be able to trust what my screen is showing me I might as well throw this thing away.
    Did you have this problem as well? After calibration have you tried printing any of your photos for color accuracy sake?
    I really want to love this computer but so far I am very disappointed (especially since Dell specifically advertises this machine for accuracy and photo editing/graphic design use) :/
    Thanks in advance!

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like you haven't disabled "splendid mode". Open Windows Mobility Center, switch it to generic color, and recalibrate if you calibrated beforehand.

And apparently 60% brightness (seventh tick, since the bottom setting is considered 0%) is ideal for accuracy and contrast.

3. Monizzle

Monizzle Newbie

Reputations:
    JP! You have just saved my sanity and restored my faith in this device. THANK YOU! I know this has been a problem for many people, I will spread the word!
    Out of curiosity where did you get the information regarding the brightness?

4. AJAussie

AJAussie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I just wanted to do a quick review of the top tier model that I've had since last Wednesday.

Firstly, the screen: the QHD+ is brilliant. At native resolution (3200 x 1800), everything is incredibly sharp, even more so because my previous laptop only had 1366x768. Colours are vivid and look great. The touch feature is great, I often use it when scrolling webpages or reading pdfs (which I do a lot). The limitations of the screen are its viewing angle. At off-centre angles, the colour distorts. I'd give it probably only a 60 degree angle of good viewing without too much distortion in colours. The other problem is application support for high DPI scaling. Adobe is the worst offender - the products just do not scale and make them unusable unless the actually resolution is lowered to full HD, which is blurred because it is a non native resolution. Adobe also doesnt seem to be making much effort to get this scaling issue fixed for windows users, which really ticks me off. The other problem occurs when using external displays. I use two externals at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The problem is that if I just plug them into the computer, the 200% scaling required for the QHD+ screen is also applied on those screens, making everything huge. To drop to 100% scaling requires one to log out, then log back in again. This also means that the QHD+ is effectively useless because everything on it becomes too small. What one needs is different DPI scaling on the laptop screen to the scaling on the external monitors, which doesnt seem to be an option. This will presumable become less of an issue as higher res external monitors become more affordable and I can start to use those instead - but for the moment, I've blown my budget on the laptop.

Secondly, the touchpad. I havent had any problems with discolouration or strange performance with it. It works fine except the right click button sometimes doesnt work properly, or because it is connected to the left click button, the right click button will sometimes act as a left click button. This is not a deal breaker for me, however is exceptionally annoying when one considers how easily it Dell could have improved the design.

Thirdly, performance: the computer is fast. It renders video very quickly, helped undoubtedly by the GPU, and does every other task as quickly as I could hope for. It is also basically silent - no fan whir, no weird motherboard issue that others have mentioned. The only time it makes significant noise is when I run the CPU and GPU stress tests - Prime95 and FurMark or am rendering video. CPU temp during Prime95 went no higher than 75 celsius and GPU temp during FurMark went no higher than 85 celsius.

Fourth, battery life obviously isnt what Dell advertises it too be. However I havent run the battery flat yet even while watching videos and doing some graphics intensive coding with Matlab. I just plug it whenever I get the chance - and for me battery life wasnt a huge consideration when purchasing as I will always be able to plug the laptop in while using it.

Fifth, build quality seems fantastic. No pressure points on the screen, the metal top is sleek, the bottom doesnt get too hot, the screen doesnt accumulate finger marks, and everything fits together well.

Other notes: I like the keyboard - the keys carry a good distance, the backlighting is useful (my last laptop didnt have any), and Im glad they didnt try to cram a number pad in! It works well the way it is, and absolutely no complaints about the keyboard. Wifi drops out sometimes which is annoying, might have to try to update the driver - however it may just be my router. Sometimes the computer hangs while booting - this is really annoying and I have to force a shut down by holding the power button, then boot it up again. I havent used NFC yet because I have an iPhone (dont judge me, Im switching to HTC soon!) but fingers crossed there are no issues there. Windows 8.1 is s***, I've installed Start8 to get the start button back, and never use Metro. I was using DisplayFusion for my multi-monitor set up however its unnessecary and causes problems with the wallpaper. eWallet doesnt scale properly either, nor does the tray Dropbox viewer. I'm looking forward to Windows 8.2 which hopefully will see a return of the start button, and the release of updates for the applications that dont yet support high DPI scaling - Adobe in particular. A big problem for me at the moment is trying to use the PsychToolbox for Matlab (Im a visual neuroscience student). The PsychToolbox runs in matlab to ensure accurate timing and colour presentation (with gamma correction) of stimuli. However running the screentest for the toolbox yields errors that I cannot for the life of me fix. Hopefully someone at the uni will be able to help however its a pain at the moment because I am eager to see how the toolbox runs on a QHD+ display.

Hopefully nothing drastic changes, I'm really enjoying the laptop! I highly recommend it. I think some people are understandably finicky about the small details (it is an very expensive laptop after all), however I see no major dramas at this stage. My concerns are mainly around application support for high DPI, which will come in time and is obviously not unique to Dell computers. If you need a screen with wide viewing angle, look elsewhere. This has a shockingly small angle - it doesnt bother me because I am always directly in front.

Any questions, just let me know!

shimsim and w3thax like this.
  5. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Today my XPS 15 is shipped, but few days ago, Dell sent me a mail to warn me that delivery date was changed from 20 December to 20 January, so What does this mean?
    Dell was joking...:eek:

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

6. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In my experience with Dell, they always tend to be very conservative with their dates as to not deliver late. I have never received a Dell product at their estimate. Every time they shipped and delivered it ahead of schedule.

7. Steve84N

Steve84N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine was a few days late last month.

8. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    I actually wanted to change the resolution to FHD to not have any trobules with scaling (+ 2nd screen is also 1920x1080). But u mention blur.... so the screen will look like crap if I change the resolution to FHD ?!

9. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Same here.. few days ago the told me I had to wait 1 more month.. today I see "shipped". I also got the invoice today. However, there hasn't been a transaction on my credit card.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Brightness info came from two people who did a professional calibration on it. But it worked out because that's about as bright as I'd want to use the panel anyway; 100% is crazy bright.

Glad I could help. It's unfortunate that Dell would enable that by default (even on the Precision!) and put it in Mobility Center rather than graphics driver properties where people are more likely to look for color mode changes, but I guess there's a market for that type of color reproduction -- the same market that buys TVs at retail stores based on which one has the most vivid colors, not the most accurate. Splendid mode sure did make that flower on the default wallpaper pop though; I turned it off and thought it looked washed out by comparison until I played with it more and realized how ridiculous it made other stuff look. Glad you're happy though! ;)