XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rawbkk

rawbkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,
    having the same problem but worse.My XPS has serous heating problems.Im not able to play F1 2013 on 1920x1080 lowest setting (no shadow,no anti aliasing,no refelctions).
    This will trhottle the graphics after 1-2 min. to 135 Mhz.
    I had a technician here yesterday,he changed the heat sink and the motherboard.
    Interestingly there where clearly burned areas around the downside of the GPU,You could see its almost black there and the technician said this comes from overhesting.
    After that it wasmuch better for 3-4 hours now its the same.Also my battery (61wh) i cant get more out the max 1.50h by 100% charge,lowest brightness setting using only chrom with a couple of tabs.
    Def something wrong!...

Could you pleae do me a big favour and get me some results with furmark 95.
    On Furmark 95 *Settings 1280x720 it runs for about 1.20min before it throttles the graphic card down to 135mhz ( i get than 5fps).
    Pleae can you try this seeting and let me know how fast your graphic card throttles to 135mhz.
    Doing the same with my 3 years old XPS 17 L702x GT555M i can run this test hours,nothing happens.Same with games,my old laptop is able to give around 200% more power by never throttleing down.

Thanks already for testing...this driving me nut and im short before returning this...im a happy Dell costumer since 20 years but this machine is horrible so far.!!

Thanks a lot!!

adlerhn likes this.
  2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Both Dell and Apple (and I'm sure others) have issued BIOS/UEFI updates in the past that have updated thermal maps on other models, so it's entirely possible. It's still early in this model's lifetime, after all.

adlerhn likes this.
  3. uhbijn

uhbijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am just trying to make sure I won't have to send it back after I buy it because I can't be without a laptop once it's January 5 2014.

4. uhbijn

uhbijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am a little confused by what you mean by HiDPI and DPI panel. I am going to use the veiwer for my Windows VM and remote into my Linux VM and it will all be done only on the laptop (no external monitors)

So does that mean VMs restart a lot on this machine?

5. rawbkk

rawbkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Not getting any better here.There was at least one user here playing F1 2013.
    If anybody is using this game could you make a benchmark on 1920x1080 low settings?!
    These settings will throttle my Nvidia after 1-2min down to 135Mhz.Thats not normal.

Thanks

6. rawbkk

rawbkk Newbie

Reputations:
    Just did a Kombustor Test, Furmark GPU Core Burner @ 640x380.It started with 58fps after 50 sec. dropped down to 4fps.
    Same test doing with my XPS L702x GT555M i can run it forever.

Anybody experiencing this lame behaviour?

7. *Snow*

*Snow* Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding the display, I think jphughan has the better take on the quality. I am blown away by the display on this thing. It is true that modern IPS screens have wider viewing angles, but you have to turn this display much further than any natural working position to see any fade or color problems. It is nothing like old T/N displays. You won't find such problems while working by yourself on this display. You won't find such problems when having the laptop on your belly watching netflix in bed.

Today i showed this laptop to a photographer friend of mine, and he couldn't take his eyes off this display. He kept on saying that he wanted one - now. We both agreed that changes with viewing angle on this display are more pronounced than modern IPS displays, but the resolution, color accuracy, and especially the depth of the blacks on this display are the best we have both seen.

8. *Snow*

Reputations:
    If i turn the display maybe 20 deg horizontally, I get a change in the look of the display. As I keep on turning it horizontally, the change seems to be a bit, but only a bit, yellow. If I tilt the display up and down, I see some gray, but it doesn't seem to me to be yellow, or if it is yellow it is too subtle to be sure.

9. *Snow*

Reputations:
    Yours seems to be much more yellow at that angle than mine.

10. *Snow*

Reputations:
    I have no noise that i can hear, whether on AC, fully charged, or with the battery run down. I took the laptop to a meeting today with two other people and they also heard nothing. All they thought about the laptop is that it has one of the best screens they have ever seen.