XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe a few posts back in this thread or the XPS 15 thread somebody was told that there were several components that had shortages. There's also the load from production of the orders from Black Friday and people trying to get Christmas presents, which would push lead time out all on its own even if parts shortages weren't an issue.

2. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I get your point. But normally people expect to receive the item several days after online shopping. If there's something that delays it, a week or two would be acceptable. But a month and a half...that's ridiculous.

I just hope they're making conservative estimation.

3. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They are completely crazy, it's almost 2 months, in this market 2 month are a huge time, maybe in January come out some new competitor

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Standard production time is 7-10 days, and Dell's delivery estimates are usually 7-10 days later than you'll actually receive it. That's been my experience over several years, at any rate.

5. M_Bos

M_Bos Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe I'll give Dell a call sometime this week. Although my order still shows an estimated delivery date of December 27th, I'm rather doubtful. It's been stuck on "Pre-Production" for a week now. It's a little disappointing, given the whole "Delivery before Christmas" push they had going here...

Not to mention, they sent out 15% off codes to EPP / VIP members yesterday (I don't know if that's a local thing), so I could've gotten a better deal, too. :eek:

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think you can still cancel if your order is in pre-production if you'd like to resubmit it with the coupon. 15% of an XPS 15 is a decent chunk of change, though of course reordering would likely push your delivery date back, possibly substantially based on what others are seeing. I guess it depends on whether you'd rather have the laptop sooner or pay less.

7. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They send even to me a 15% off codes to EPP / VIP members, so if Dell misses the 20 December target I could cancel the order (I got almost 19% off with Cyber Monday + VIP members) because I have to change my delivery place, but the actual -100€ + 15% VIP members is practically the same deal.
    It seems that I can add another 10% off with another VIP members discount, but usually Dell cancels orders too good with some trick...
    My unit is on "production".

8. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what I've done. I hope they won't cancel my order. I have just used the vouchers they have sent me via email, and the website hasn't complained of incompatibilities between them.

9. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So your deal has been 1999€ -100€ - 15% - 10% = 1453€ :eek::eek::eek::D

Please, keep me updated about your deal, because if Dell does not delivery as intended, I could cancel my order to change my delivery place.

10. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It was about time I got any advantage for studying in the university for so long :p