XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. djklmnop

djklmnop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    UPDATED TO VERSION 03

v02 was still Crashing. So updated to v03 where I merged some DLL files from Dell's original software. Haven't had a single loss of sound.

Installation instructions are the same.

Be sure to disable all sound enhancements except for Dolby Home Theater; and in control panel, the DELL AUDIO menu is now available.

Uninstall your previous driver, then download and run CCleaner and do a registry clean to avoid string conflicts. Then follow the instructions provided previously. In the compressed file, instructions are available as well.

LINK: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...e Theater v4 for DELL XPS 12 v03 12102013.zip

Quick overview of installation:
    1. Uninstall existing Realtek Audio driver
    2. Download CCleaner and clean your registry.
    3. Reboot into option 7 to disable driver enforcement.
    4. Install DTPC.msi and ONLY select "Install Assets".
    5. Update the audio driver through Device Manager and look in folder #2 under /Vista64/ --- Accept the install when warning message comes up.
    6. Go to Control Panel and run Dell Audio to bring up the sound options.
    7. Under Speaker/Headphone, turn off MAXAUDIO and SRS
    8. In the Advanced tab, under Jack Information, uncheck the "..popup dialog" box option. Close the Dell Audio menu.
    9. Go to your Windows Start menu and type Dolby. Click on Dolby Tuner and Profile Creator.
    10. On the row that shows ALL TUNING + PROFILE, click on Import.
    11. Go to Folder #3 and choose the "DJKLMNOP XPS 12 v03.inx" profile.
    Done

By the way, 16bit 48000hz sounds best in version 03

Sorry for the constant updates. Otherwise, enjoy!

2. chasgames

chasgames Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Go into device manager and disable it under display adapters. Obviously this unit has a better graphics card which you want to be using anyway, the only reason you would want to use the hd4600 is to save battery life, I'm trying to find out at the moment how it can always be set to the 750m. For some reason you can only tell it to Render with the 750m, no-where which I can see allows you to set it to be used for Display aswell. You can find out which graphics card you are currently using by running "dxdiag".

This configuration of GPU's may have some impact on why that noise occurs, since after disabling the GPU the noise is sufficiently less.

3. Ashers

Ashers Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    XPS15 and M3800 are the same machine except for the GPU. The difference in weight is because the M3800 can be configured with a smaller battery and without a 2.5" HDD. I've been told the consumption is pretty much identical for the two GPUs. Note that if you choose a model with a 2.5" HDD you can only have the smaller battery (which will have 2/3 battery life of the larger), so it's a compromise between disk space and battery life. There are lots of posts in this thread on battery life, plus the notebookcheck.net review also provides values.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Haloy

Haloy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, everyone in this thread. I've already seen the previous 200+pages' replies and really appreciate your efforts towards the new xps 15 which really helps me a lot to decide whether to buy it or not. But here I have another question regarding the msata slot in the top tier model. Will this msata slot be compatible to the Samsung newly released 1TB EVO msata ssd or more simply will it be compatible to the future larger msata ssd storage? 512g is a little bit small for me since I would like to put both windows and linux system into it and still keep some space for the other media file ( I cannot always carry the external storage with me right?) Would some one here so kind to give me the answer? Much appreciate!

5. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes its a standard mSATA

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The only POSSIBLE reason I can think that the 1TB unit might not work is that it's likely to be a double-sided card, and if the mSATA connector isn't high enough off the motherboard to allow the chips on the underside to fit, it may not fit. However, I believe that double-sided card support is mandatory for mSATA, not optional, so I'm fairly confident it will be fine; someone will just have to test to confirm, or just flip their current mSATA card over and see whether the chips clear with the connector still at the right height even though obviously the card won't fit into the connector upside-down.

Be ready to shell out serious cash for that 1TB unit though; I'm seeing the 512GB units going for ~$500-600, and you know the 1TB version is going to have a higher cost per GB just because it's the biggest and best on the market.

And yes you can always carry external storage with you. The Seagate GoFlex Slim is ridiculously tiny, or if you only need a bit more storage, there's always that SD card slot for essentially internal storage.

7. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    here is a link to a 20 second recording, made using my galaxy s4, so its not great, but i think if you crank your volume, and at about 12 seconds you hear the whine, and at 17 seconds it disappears, or thereabouts...anyway, this is my attempt at conributing. if you hear nothing, then i could just be losing my mind

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt9ilorbn3arok6/My recording #2.wav

*EDIT - I will add that this noise alone would not make me want to return my machine, its hardly noticeable, but it makes noises like a machine with moving parts, and i thought there are no moving parts, at least on the ssd models...and i know a bunch of you have addressed whether this noise is a deal breaker, or a return-maker, or whatever...im just throwing it out there so others might say whether thats the noise they hear too...

adlerhn likes this.
  8. matthiasdeblaiser

matthiasdeblaiser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also need a lot of storage INSIDE my laptop (nothing external)
    so I've been thinking about this too
    But after some consideration, I told myself I'd be crazy throwing out +$1000 for 1TB of storage that in the end will be half filled with files that do not benifit from an SSD setup (wether I'm watching a movie from SSD or HDD, doesn't really make a difference)

I'm going to order the mid tier version and replace the SSD with a 480GB one ($500) That's more than enough for OS, programs and RAW's for use in Lightroom... If you can live with a 3-4h battery life though (which to me isn't all that bad)

And if you still really want to spend a lot of money (and ending up at the same price point as a rMBP with 1TB SSD) I'm quite sure the 1TB mSata Samsung just announced will fit just fine

9. Haloy

Haloy Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your extreme fast reply! Actually I'm more confused whether the motherboard will be able to recognize the the huge space of 1tb msata ssd with the current msata slot. It seems that we still have to wait for the real product to come out and then make the final conclusion.:)

10. Haloy

Haloy Newbie

Reputations:
    I hope that the Samsung team really takes the height issue into account (but why not? They are experts and they should have been thinking about the situation where people want to replace the old 32g msata with the new one in the same slot). The price is exactly a big problem.:( But selling the original 512g one may save you 1/3 of the money. I think we have to wait for the final price given by the samsung and the review from the other to see if it works fine and is worth to buy.:D (in addition, good wish for the other manufacturers, Plextor, Crucial and etc. come on! you have to catch up with samsung!)
    Thanks for the recommendation. the SD card solution is great(cheap, light and enough space!) . Definitely boost my determination to take the top tier ( the battery is awesome!)