XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. joker97

joker97 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guess what - dell factory restore with skydrive login - NO SLEEP - I was almost going to return it for a mac ... then I used Windows instead to do a full wipe from within windows and when it restarted I chose not to use Skydrive login .. and it sleeps!

I don't know what it is ... but I can get my life back on track now ... I better create an image of this thing now before it breaks ...

2. uhbijn

uhbijn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. matthiasdeblaiser

matthiasdeblaiser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    "Expand your productivity with the included 500 GB external hard drive."

4. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    The summary details listed Dell 1TB External Hard Drive though..
    [​IMG]

5. matthiasdeblaiser

matthiasdeblaiser Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like some good news for the ones wanting the bigger battery and more than 512GB storage...
    http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=31060

Am I being too optimistic for thinking Dell might offer these in a few months time? Seems like quite a waste, buying the top tier model and replacing the 512GB SSD by a bigger one, but seems to me the only option when you don't want to compromise on storage nor battery

adlerhn likes this.
  6. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I wonder if those will perform better than the ones we have now...

7. severous

severous Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi guys!
    I have an essential question: what is the best between:
    - playing few game at 1080p laptop
    - playing few game at 1080p/920p on dell xps15 qhd+???
    In term of blur/sharp and low resolution in comparaison of initial resolution ?
    When you put your resolution at 920p or 1080p in your xps15, do you see a big difference between a 1080/920p native laptop?

8. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, you need to stop confusing IGZO and IPS. The technologies are not mutually exclusive, they represent different parts of the display.

IPS, TN, P-VA are all referring to the mechanism/technology that is used in the pixels and how they switch on and off.

IGZO is the material used to create the display, it is similar to Amorphous Silicon (a-Si) and Low Temperature Polysilicon (LTPS). This is the material used to make the display (more or less). For example the iPad Retina display is now an LTPS IPS display. It uses LTPS because it has a lower power requirement.

So yes, an IGZO display can be IPS, and as far as I know all of the ones made by Sharp are.

Cincinnatux likes this.
  9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice find!! Hopefully that helps someone else out, although I'd love to know what the underlying problem is since I can't imagine that using a Microsoft account to log in necessarily prevents sleep in all configurations.

That $2080 model looks like a bug on the page, especially given that it ends in 98 cents rather than 99. I also notice that the top spec is now missing (presumably due to parts shortages), so maybe there's some automatic function that built the highest spec it could for that third slot given the parts limitations, which ended up just being the mid-spec, though apparently with a higher profit margin. This may be a random insight into Dell's pricing markup strategy! ;)

TECHNICALLY, and all else being equal, a panel run at its native resolution is always going to be sharper than a panel forced to run at a non-native resolution. However, the QHD+ panel's pixel density is so high that I can only see very minor blurriness even on the desktop, and I've got very good vision. Other people might not notice it at all, and for gaming it would be a non-issue. If you have access to a Retina MBP (at an Apple Store, for example), try setting it to run in the mode that "Looks like 1920x1200" to get an idea of what a HiDPI panel scaled to 1200p looks like. It won't be EXACTLY what you'd see on the XPS since the native and target resolutions are different between the two, plus Mac OS uses a different scaling strategy for Retina than Windows does for HiDPI, but the end result should still be very comparable.

The one thing that IS an issue at the moment though is that there seems to be a driver bug that causes games running below native resolution on the QHD+ to show up in 1:1 scaling mode, i.e. in 1080p you'll have black bars around all four sides of the pixel-perfect image. There are some workarounds at the moment like dropping Windows to 1080p before launching the game, but they only work sporadically. It's not clear whether this is an Intel or NVIDIA driver bug (NVIDIA renders the game, but Intel handles the actual output to the display), but at the moment it's there.

Honestly if you can swing it I'd buy the QHD+ panel. Yes, some applications just aren't ready for it yet, but it's pretty awesome, not just from a resolution standpoint but also from a color standpoint. You'll definitely have some bugs and frustrations with it that you wouldn't have with 1080p, but that's true of being an early adopter with just about anything. But my experience with it is that the pros outweigh the cons substantially, and the software support will get there. And when it does, I'm ready with my QHD+ panel. ;)

10. phinix

phinix Newbie

Reputations:
    When all is set to 200% on ful res, I noticed that MS Access acts weird.
    Navigation Pane jumps every time I scroll it even a bit.
    Also all elements are far from each other, gaps are too big.

Anyone noticed that too?