XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. c0derbear

c0derbear Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any Dell specific drivers and applications may not support W7 on the new model, fair warning.

Similarly W7 may choke on the display resolution as that res wasn't really common until "lately" - maybe not though. I think it'll really come down to per-application how well the high res is handled.

2. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just ordered mine, estimated ship date 11/18. Got a pretty good deal on the high end model, got it for $1,792.79 plus tax using a Dell MedAssets coupon :)

I have a 2012 15" rMBP right now which is a nice machine, although the Nvidia GPU failed entirely immediately after one year, rending it nonfunctional. This required a logic board replacement ($300) although I ultimately persuaded Apple to cover half the cost since the problems began prior to the end of warranty, then worsened just after it expired. I choose the rMBP after being disappointed with Windows 8, but think with the Touch screen functionality and 8.1 updates, I may just prefer it to OS X.

I was disappointed in the 'new' Macboook Pro just announced - it doesn't offer much in terms of upgrade for owners of the 2012-2013 machines. Configured similarly to the Dell with the 2.3Ghz i7 and 512GB SSD, the net (after tax) price difference was about $900 compared to the high end XPS 15 model.

I look forward to comparing battery life and of course the (Samsung) Retina screen in the rMBP versus the (Sharp) IGZO screen in the Dell XPS. If the Dell is a keeper, I will finally retire the XPS 1640 with the beautiful RGB-LED 1080p screen I bought many years ago - which still works very well.

3. mheuer818

mheuer818 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm selling my 2012 rMBP if I like my XPS 15 enough. I never fell in love with OSX and this thing spends most of it's time booted into Windows for school and gaming. I actually hate the screen on this when gaming in Windows, it's way way too dark and no matter what I do I can't get the color contrast to be better so I can actually see things.

Got the middle spec US XPS for $1775 before taxes, shipping, accident protection, etc. This will be my 4th XPS laptop and I hope I like it as much as I did the others. :)

4. weewyum

weewyum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought the top one for £1574, have high expectations for this! Replacing the bent P35K I received last week which was slightly too noisy for my liking sadly, nice machine otherwise and great value.

Estimated delivery for 14th November but in production now so could I expect it earlier?

5. mheuer818

mheuer818 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone managed to find out more about the 'In Production' status? Calling the automated number hasn't worked in a long time and I'm curious to know if there's another way. I'm surprised they don't have a pile of these just waiting to be shipped, since you can't customize the hardware on the different choices. It's only been 4 days and I'm already dying to get it.

Edit: I understand Dell loves the JIT supply and delivery method but something like this I'd expect them to have pre-produced a bunch. Unless they only decided a few days before launch what the configs would be.

6. mingocr83

mingocr83 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Amazon has the base model and middle tier model on stock...the problem is that they cannot ship due to some sort of agreement they have with Dell to ship systems after Nov 21st....that is what the Item Availability chat clerk told me about the machine when I contacted them last night...

7. JamesWhite

JamesWhite Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I ordered my XPS 15 on the 18th, wasn't on pre-production stage for long, has been "In-Production" for 6 days now. Estimated delivery date is 12/11. (That's 12th November, UK Date). It might move a bit, but I think its fairly reasonable. Interestingly I ordered 2x spare AC Adaptors separately on the 21st, that has an estimated delivery date of the 29/10.

8. nortlov

nortlov Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I couldn't get the reps to subtract 5% from the price of the laptop in lieu of the 5% Dell gift card.
    The best price (not including tax) I could get via online chat for the midrange unit was $1,702.99
    The best price (not including tax) I could get via online chat for the toprange unit was $2,023.19

I guess $320 isn't bad for the 512gb SSD (what kind is it?), but I already have a Samsung EVO 250gb that I was going to use instead.

There's no pressure in buying later so I thought I'd mull it over a bit and see if I could get a lower price via phone chat. My buddy has a 15% off coupon he bought off Ebay he never used, I wonder if I can get that code to work on the prices above. That would be awesome.

9. jj970

jj970 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey ekovalsky, you've mentioned this MedAssets coupon many times like it's something that everyone knows about. Is it just unique to you? How does one get in on that? Please share. I've never heard about it and I'm in the medical field. I Googled it and didn't come up with anything. Thanks!

10. zideeq

zideeq Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone compare the major PROs and CONs compared to the L502x R2 (i7 Sandy)?

I am considering selling my current XPS and putting on the extra cash to buy an XPS 15 Haswell.