XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BREAKING NEWS: the "My Dell" app is BACK! can anyone else say whether they ever lost it? and if so, give it a whirl now and see if it opens for you?
    and, my poor poor phone...did a live chat with Samsung, they were useless in getting my phone to connect...but each time I plugged in the USB, the folder on the desktop would open and stay open for longer and longer...I was able to open my sd card folder...but then it would disappear...and then reappear....so things seem to be getting better, but I am troubled that this seems to be "self" resolving...could it really be this machine, and if so, do I not want to take advantage of the offer to replace?

anyway, hooray for my dell app at least :-/

2. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Dell batteries direct from Dell are typically quite expensive. It will probably be around $150. A 512GB mSATA is currently $450. So now you are up to $600 to upgrade the mid tier to the top tier when you could have just done it from the start for $400. That is why people recommend just getting the top tier if you want battery life, because it doesn't make sense to upgrade the mid tier to a larger battery.

3. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The My Dell app still does not work for me.

4. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yep, me neither . . .

5. jconroe99

jconroe99 Newbie

Reputations:
    I see what you are saying, but what I am looking for is hands-on experience with the smaller battery to see what performance is like. Specs are one thing but component quality can make things less cut and dry than that. What I'd also interested is if anybody has weighed their machine and can post so that we know the weight difference between the 2 batteries.

I have a different opinion on this, likely because I have a different use. I am focused more on weight, because I carry this thing around a lot (and I don't also want to be dragging even a 2.5" external harddrive around with me). Right now the XPS comes in about 0.5kg below a standard 15" laptop. If the large battery brings the weight up any closer to that 2.5kg (5.5lb) mark, then there is a lot of competition for this laptop that provides similar processing power at much cheaper costs. Can people please post their system weights? The ones listed by Dell are kind of questionable (considering their marketing team has listed a considerable difference in weight between the near-identical M3800 and XPS).

So I am hoping that Haswell technology has made a 61Whr battery sufficient for my needs. But that's just a hope until I find out more.

True, but the XPS upgrade to 8.1 Pro is only $50 so I'm not really concerned.

As somebody else pointed out, only 512 mSata is available now, so I'd have to wait a little while for a 1TB to come out and swap.

6. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've had the mid-tier model since Monday, and I'm really disappointed with the battery life so far. I think today I got a total of about 3.5 hours from 100% to shut-itself-down dead, with just web browsing and some Google Docs.

Granted, I made no effort to set up power profiles, there was just a default "Dell" profile that I let it run on.

I just set up a custom profile with everything possible set to "Max power savings" when on battery, and I'll try to remember to come back and post what sort of life I get when I next run it down from 100%. I'm not overly hopeful though.

Perhaps my expectations were just a little high, but having to carry a power brick around with me really defeats the point of paying over twice as much for a light machine. (Aside from the thinness and the display, this computer really is 2x the cost for similar specs to many other machines)

Maybe I just have a dud. The one I have has dust under the display panel, and the LED on the charger never turns off, so I need to get both those things repaired right out of he box. Those two don't necessarily point to a bad battery, but the life really does suck.

Also, as far as I know, you CANNOT upgrade this machine to Win 8.1 Pro (out of the factory, once you have it you can install whatever). I noticed that the option was available on the Dell Business website and requested it from my sales rep. He managed to add it on, but then my order got cancelled with no warning a week later. I called in and another sales rep punched it in again... then their system cancelled it again 4 days after that. Their customer service dept gave me $150 in discounts and coupons (on an already reduced price from haggling), but I ended up getting the machine 2 weeks later that my original promised delivery date.

7. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    I thought the additional weight of the larger battery is offset by the lack of 2.5'' HDD ?
    [​IMG]

8. jconroe99

jconroe99 Newbie

Reputations:
    @lee_what2004 Thanks, I hadn't found that battery comparison chart before. Much appreciated.

9. jconroe99

jconroe99 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your feedback. This is *exactly* what I'm afraid of. My whole purpose for buying this machine is the weight to performance ratio - carrying a portable harddrive or a AC adapter around with me makes it less attractive and as you've mentioned, doing so would mean there is less separating it from the machines which cost half the price. I've been waiting over a year to find a lightweight quadcore 15", and I really hoped this was going to fit the bill.

Hmm ... maybe it's only on the Dell Australia site, but 8.1 Pro is the first customization option for an extra $50.

That all said - I have definitely ruled out ordering the M3800 from the US. With all of the issues reported here, I don't want to deal with overseas warranty.

10. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ahh, then you might be in luck.

I was just looking at the reviews of the XPS 15 on the Canadian Dell website, and someone else confirmed that they got 3.6 hours of battery life on the mid-tier model.

Looks like now it's a mater of deal with it or go with something else.

I wish Lenovo would hurry up and get the rest of the T540 line released.