XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just to confirm, when you say you updated the Intel wireless driver, are you getting the latest drivers from INTEL'S website, not Dell's? The 16.6 version that seems to be solving people's connection issues isn't up on Dell's site yet, only Intel's. If you've already done that, try updating your Airport Base Station firmware if you haven't already.

davypg likes this.
  2. Reshi_

Reshi_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I appreciate the response :) I just checked to see if the Airport Extreme had any updates (it did not) and I double checked which driver version of the Intel wireless I had, and it is 16.6.0.8. So those seem to not be the problem.

edit - to clarify the driver I updated was for the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

3. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmm, well I know this wouldn't be a solution, but if you have access to an alternate router (or multiples), it might be good to test whether your machine is having trouble with any Wifi connection or just certain models.

4. Reshi_

Reshi_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll take it into work tomorrow and test it on their wifi... then report back. Thanks for the help!

5. CrashWA

CrashWA Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same problem and have a Netgear DGN2200 DSL modem router. If I switch airplane mode on and off that usually clears it. It is a little frustrating, I have a new router to install that I am hoping will fix it. I am using the 16.6.0.8 wireless driver.

6. Cedricm

Cedricm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ordered on November 5th for a planned delivery no later than November 18th.
    In the end I got the order
    on November 21st.
    You get an UPS tracking number soon after the order, but you can't use it while the order is in transit from China to Amsterdam, Europe.
    I would count about 5 days from China to Europe after the site informs you that the notebook was sent.
    In Europe it is super quick as used to with UPS, it takes 2 days top and generally only one day.

This was for the Platinum version with delivery in France.

So far I find it is an outstanding notebook and I will soon write a review, but I am checking with Dell regarding battery life as I think I should get more.

[-Mac-] likes this.
  7. CrashWA

CrashWA Newbie

Reputations:
    I am using a 'Cooler Master Notepal U3'. It has 3 small fans that you can position to best effect. It feels good to use but the fans are a little noisy, as all fans will be and I wonder if I am getting enough air flow. The ambient temp is around 23 deg Celsius. If I could shave a few degrees off I think I could make this work.

I am using a program called TechPowerUp GPU-Z 0.7.4 to monitor the GPU temperatures. I get slow frame rates on BF3 consistent with the high temperatures and slow clock speed reported by GPU-Z and the graphics card data seems to be correct so the program seems to be working.

adlerhn likes this.
  8. kelsett

kelsett Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm having another really annoying problem here. I got the 3200x1800 screen, and obviously the discrete GPU isn't enough for running somewhat demanding games at thtat resolution, so I just lower the resolution to something like 1920x1080 or so, but unfortunately when I lower the resolution some games don't stretch and I get black borders around the screen.

This is Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, @1920x1080:

aciv.jpg

I also have this problem with Far Cry 3.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I suspect it's an issue with the Intel Graphics driver...

adlerhn likes this.
  9. jubbing

jubbing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So people playing games on the new xps 15, I've changed my battery power options (when plugged in) to high performance. What else do you need to set for gaming on the computer to make sure you're utilizing the computer performance (again when plugged in).

Edit intel or nvidia settings? More fiddling with power options? I want max performance while plugged in, and max battery when not plugged in, as it should be (brightness I can work out myself), but others?

10. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please may I know what your power settings are? I use ~20% brightness, max Wifi performance on battery, do not sleep, and it is about 5 hours browsing. Light browsing.

9 hours is difficult to fathom based on my experience, but Dell hasn't been too willing to talk about the battery.