XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's very very hot for an external temperature on a notebook, I wonder if it can burn skin if you touch it.
    Moreover I'm a little disappointed because Dell claims 400nits but this display is always under 350nits and there is an area under 300nits.
    Maybe there is an error about price because seems they have reviewed top end unit but price is only 1719€.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 con Tapatalk 2

2. Kaven

Kaven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm returning mine to Dell. My battery life is on the low side (Max capacity is less than 91% according to windows). The coil whine is also pretty loud on my unit. The touch pad works ok most of the times but it will occasionally jump around. The Dell software update doesn't work on my computer; it shows the splash then nothing. The screen colors change and flicker when touching the screen on the right side of the panel... I'm worried about long term durability. Finally, sometimes, the computer won't wake up from sleep and I have to hard reset by holding the power button. I would accept these problems on a $1k laptop but $2300 is on the premium side and this is not acceptable to me.

k2007 likes this.
  3. padde

padde Newbie

Reputations:
    I wondered about the price myself.. i looked and they stated the price without taxes like dell does on their business shop site.
    Didn't know dell claims 400nits, but overall it seems a really good display, especially the measurements for blacks and contrast.
    By the way wikipedia records 45 °C as minimum temperature to affect skin irritation within minutes. I guess that means no gaming in the nude with the laptop on the lap :D

4. bookwurm

bookwurm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually, a Dutch keyboard is very similar (identical) to a Qwerty-US keyboard. The only difference might be an additional EURO sign on the E key.
    Qwerty-UK is somewhat different (it has the pound sign where the @ key is on QWERTY-US and some other annoying differences if you are used to QWERTY-US).
    German (QWERTZ), French, Belgian (both AZERTY) , ... keyboards are much more different. There are pictures on wikipedia.

If the website doesn't allow you to choose your keyboard layout, you may still be able to change it by calling them on the phone (no guarantee though).

I'm in Belgium and am ordering a Precision M3800. The website only offered Belgian AZERTY keyboard, but I asked for a qwerty-US-intl keyboard through my reseller. It was no problem.

5. tdraw

tdraw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now had my mid-tier for 10 days. I have adjusted display so it works well in various programs. I haven't updated bios or any drivers yet, but plan to. Getting just about 4 hours battery, would love more but hopeful this will improve with various updates. Can't hear any noise from the machine (by-product of loud music in the 60's/70's :). I like touchpad and the shiny spot that I can see in certain light doesn't matter. This is the machine I had been waiting for!

6. PotatoW

PotatoW Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks jphughan!

I called Dell technical support and the guy there told me the same switching-on-the-fly story. Then he corrected himself to say that it doesn't do that; there is indeed an 8GB partition for Rapid Start and he said that it works ok for 16GB memory because 1) the in-RAM data is compressed enough to fit into 8GB on the SSD, and 2) it doesn't matter how much RAM you have, it matters how many applications you have running. I have a very hard time believing 1), but 2) would seem to lend itself to your theory that Rapid Start only works when there's less than 8GB of active data in the RAM.

I see the possible scenarios on the mid-tier unit as:
    1) Rapid Start always works perfectly as is. Seems very unlikely, unless that data compression thing is real, but I heavily doubt that.
    2) Rapid Start only works when less than 8GB of memory are being used. Some kind of unpublished workings would be involved.
    3) Rapid Start just doesn't work. Seems the most likely. Either upgrade to a bigger mSATA, or get rid of the Rapid Start partition and just use the entire mSATA for Rapid Storage.

7. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Compression is hugely unlikely. Not only would it make Rapid Start less rapid to start, I can't see the point. If they use compression then obviously it wouldn't always require the full amount of RAM space to exist on the SSD, but since compression is variable based on the type of data in RAM, they'd never know how much below your actual RAM they could require while still guaranteeing it will always work. So they'd play it safe and just say to size your partition to match your RAM, in which case there's no point to compressing anything and in fact it would be faster not to unless your storage was significantly slower than your CPU, but with SSD speeds these days that discrepancy just isn't large enough.

I believe Rapid Start won't work at all if the partition is too small based on Intel's documentation, but like I said it's easy to test. Try to enable it in the system tray utility and Sleep your computer when you have very little RAM in use, then watch the Power LED to see whether it pulses (still in regular sleep, not Rapid Start) or goes off after a few seconds (auto-switch from Sleep to Rapid Start hibernation).

8. krayziehustler

krayziehustler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had this for about 2-3 weeks and now my battery wear is at 7%. What are you guys wearing?

9. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Apparently there is an issue with the 'my dell' app that is causing problems for some users. Just spent a considerable amount if time on chat and the phone with a dell rep that involved a refresh then a clean reinstall (luckily I didn't have much saved on the machine yet, also luckily this thing can do a complete clean reinstall in about 3-4 minutes, which is impressive). Even after all of that, it's not working. Looks like they have some patching to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. *Snow*

*Snow* Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Flamer - There is no need to add exclamation marks to your question implying that you are frustrated because you think I failed to give you a critical piece of information. If you look at my entire post (#1637), I quoted an earlier post in which I mentioned many of the operating details of my current configuration including the model, bios, drivers, etc. I added that quote so people can know my operating parameters and better interpret my results.