XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TheMania

TheMania Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting. Maybe I'll chase Dell up on this whine, see if replacing the mainboard solves my power issues at the same time. Thanks.

2. *Snow*

*Snow* Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    jphughan - your posts always have depth, are informative, and are well written. I enjoy crisp writing, so thank you very much. This latest post was intriguing. I am 53, and i went to the youtube video that you posted. I can easily hear the 15 khz tone, but am not sure i can hear the 17.4 khz tone. I am one of those who cannot hear anything from the XPS 15, so if it is making a noise, it is definitely above 15 khz.

3. PotatoW

PotatoW Newbie

Reputations:
    Somewhere earlier in this thread, somebody referenced a review on the Dell website that mentioned that the mid-tier XPS 15 couldn't use both Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage, because the former requires 16GB and the latter requires at least 18.6 GB, and the SSD is only 32GB:
    Dell.com - XPS 15 9530 customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings (it's a ways down the page)

I was confused about this so I chatted with a Dell rep and this is the transcript:

Me: The mid-tier comes with a 32GB mSATA drive and a 1TB hard disk. The 32GB mSATA is intended to be used as a cache for both Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage. However, it won't function because Intel Rapid Start requires 16GB of that drive and Intel Rapid Storage requires at least 18.6 GB to work, so only one out of the two of them can be made to work
    Agent: yes you are right, only one for the Intel Rapid programs will work at once
    Me: How do you choose which one to use?
    Agent: it will be decided by the processor
    Me: So it will switch on the fly?
    Agent: Yup

Is the review right or the agent right on this? I'd like to get the mid-tier because I want the larger hard disk, but I'm confused about this particular issue. Thanks in advance for any clarification anybody can provide on this.

4. flamer7

flamer7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Dell representative I spoke with said that both will work, as the usage will never go above required, therefore only 32 gb. He said they partitioned it just enough for both to work

5. jeringe

jeringe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, so the battery seems to work at an acceptable level for some at least...
    I have not seen any posts on the smaller 61w battery performance though. Has any one experienced with the duration on those units yet???
    I would be really curious to know, since I ordered a mid tier m3800 myself and I am getting a little worried that the battery might only get a couple or hours at the most on light usage...

6. spano

spano Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wondering what the tracking for the shipping looks like before its delivered to you in Canada

So far this is what I have. I am hoping it comes soon. What did it look like for any of the fellow Canadians?

Nov 25, 2013 2:46 p.m. U.S.A. Ground Linehaul Departed sort facility
    Nov 25, 2013 2:45 p.m. Purolator Shipping label created

7. *Snow*

*Snow* Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ran youtube videos nonstop for almost 6 hours from a full charge. After this time, the battery icon showed 1:18 (19%) left. The power scheme i used was Dell, modified so that the screen never turned off and the computer never went to sleep.

drfrank likes this.
  8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt this. I hate when Dell reps confidently say something when they're not sure rather than just admit they don't know something and will have to escalate or follow up with you later.

From reading Intel's documentation on this, Rapid Start will only expose itself to Windows when all of its operating conditions have been met, one of which is a partition on an SSD at least as large as the amount of system RAM and with the proper partition ID string. I suppose it's possible that Intel or Dell has changed something since that documentation was written, but even then the best case I can imagine would be Rapid Start only working when the amount of consumed RAM is less than the hibernation partition size. I guess that wouldn't be a bad design, but it would also mean Rapid Start couldn't always hibernate and would therefore lead to customer confusion/frustration.

This is all easy enough to test, though. Someone with a mid-spec config just needs to confirm a too-small hibernation partition, set the hibernation timer to Immediately in the config app (and make sure Rapid Start is enabled at all), and then SLEEP (not hibernate) the machine. If the machine goes into hibernation, it works. If it stays in regular sleep, it doesn't. It's also worth nothing that Dell themselves say that Rapid Start isn't supported or validated by Dell on systems with more than 16GB of RAM: http://www.dell.com/support/trouble...cles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=545794 (those instructions only work for MBR, not UEFI). That said, I'm running it just fine in that configuration, and granted that article is over a year old now.

But whatever the case, the processor switching the disk between Rapid Start and Smart Response sounds bogus to me. I suppose it's possible to design that solution for people who want both technologies on a small SSD since you'd never need SSD capacity for both Smart Response and Rapid Start at the same time, so there could be a unified partition setup for this, but if that exists I'd prefer to learn it from an Intel white paper than a random Dell rep, or at least ask the rep what documentation he has to back up his claim. That design would also remove some of the caching benefit upon resume if some cache data had to be replaced by hibernation data.

9. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks! I always try to base my posts on facts or at the very least reasoned theory (ideally including a suggestion for how to confirm or refute) and always ask myself whether someone will consider this worth having taken the time to read it. Seems I was wrong on this particular issue though, sorry about that! When I played the 17.4 kHz tone I just felt some pressure in my ear, no actual sound. The sound from the laptop is definitely closer to 15 kHz though, possibly a bit higher-pitched. But that wouldn't explain some people who heard it out of the box and not after a motherboard replacement though. Still, I think I'll just keep mine for the time being and maybe mention it if it will be getting serviced for something else anyway in the future. If new boxes still have the whine, then I feel getting a replacement at this point wouldn't guarantee I'd get an improved motherboard, and later on it's likely there will have been more part revisions and thus that other fixes and/or improvements will have been implemented too.

10. flamer7

flamer7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Are you using the 61whr or 91 whr battery!?!??!!?