XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TheMania

TheMania Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell just got back to me re: the quoted 11 hours battery life... apparently their "11 hours" includes suspend and hibernation time.

Assuming this tech was right and considering hibernation is the computer actually off, I wonder why they don't just quote 2 months battery life and be done with it.

Running off an external monitor (internal screen OFF), doing absolutely nothing (~1% CPU total in task manager) I see a discharge rate of 9.4W via BatteryBar. 91Wh/9.4W is 9.7hrs. This is absolutely the best case I'd ever be able to get out of the laptop seeing as its screen isn't even on, and it's not even playing a movie - just sitting on the desktop. The moment I start typing even on this webpage, it's up to around 11W (8hrs), which is still above what I get when using the laptop not on my desk/external monitor (~6hrs is best I hope for). Either way it's still short of what the Dell website says it gets on Mobile Mark 2012 (11 hours), which I seriously doubt is supposed to be run with the screen off and/or with the computer spending periods in suspend or hibernation, as the support tech claimed.

I don't know, just not happy that they advertise it as "up to 11hrs" as tested on a third party benchmark program despite that no one's actually going to see anything within an hour of that even on the lightest of loads, at least with the release drivers.

drfrank likes this.
  2. ami-

ami- Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody, great thread, looks like a very good product, and I have my eyes on it as well. However I can't buy it directly from dell in my country so I'm looking around.

Could anybody post a picture of the uk keyboard layout? It seems that in Europe they only sell national versions of the keyboard and the UK one seems to be the closest to the international version for me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

3. *Snow*

*Snow* Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got mine today – highest model with 512 GB SSD.

Ordered from Costco on 11/12 for $2,000+$30 s/h – at time they said preliminary ship date would be 12/3. Then I got notification that it was shipped yesterday 11/24 and got it today 11/25 (fedex).

Everything seems to be working fine right out of the box:
    *No noises.
    *No problems coming back from sleep.
    *Cold boot takes 8 secs.
    *Speakers sound fine (it is a laptop).

*Bios version that shipped with computer is A00. I guess I’ll need to update this from Dell support page but I am not in a rush because I am not having any problems.

*Wifi works fine and the driver that shipped with the computer is intel 16.5.3.6. This is a later version of the driver than some others must have had because they said they updated to 16.5.3.6 from the Intel website and that fixed their problems. The current version on Intel’s page is 16.6.0. I am in no rush to download the latest because I am not having any problems.

*Touchpad seems to work fine, although I do get the spike in CPU usage (to 3-4%) that others were reporting. Firefox 2-finger scrolling works just fine. Driver that came on machine is Synaptics 17.0.13.0. Latest generic version on Synaptics website is 17.0.19, so I could update this, and maybe will if I have problems and get frustrated.

4. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Picked mine up today and working on it now. Thought I'd do a rundown of the known issues and compare them to my device's performance.

For context, I updated the bios to a01 and updated all the drivers to the current ones available on the dell site. Any reason why the site continues to tell me I need driver updates when I've already installed them? That's a little irritating.

Overall impression of the laptop is very favorable. Great build quality and really nice looking machine. Love the keyboard and etc. So, on to the issues:

1. Trackpad discoloration doesn't seem to be a big factor for me. I just went to turn on my overhead lights and there is a portion of the trackpad that is a little shiny, but it's not overly worrisome for me.
    2. My touchscreen crumped on me once already! Not a huge deal as I went in to control panel to disable/enable under HID and it came back to life. I'm pretty convinced from all I've read that this is more of a W8.1 power management issue versus a dell issue. I don't think this is a problem specific to this laptop, per se.
    3. Trackpad has been a mixed bag. The weirdest thing for me, I'm a bit of a Chrome lover. The trackpad is miserable, I mean terrible on Chrome. Not a big fan of IE, but I have to say, my trackpad experience has been about an 8/10 for me with it. Everything works really smoothly and I have very few missteps. Additionally, Chrome looks pretty rough on the high DPI display, even with some of the fixes mentioned here. Looks like I'll prefer IE for now until Google fixes it, at least on my XPS.
    4. I don't have a whine, thank Buddha. I was a little worried about that as it sounded really irritating. If I put my ear down to the keyboard, I can hear something working away down there, but once I back away to even a halfway sitting position, I can't hear a thing. I'm in a perfectly quiet house and this thing is silent.
    5. I have no problem at all with WiFi. I'm on an Asus AC router and I'm pulling anywhere from 40-60 Mbps over Comcast. I'm paying for 50. This is pretty much on par with the rest of the devices in the house.
    6. Battery life is a 'we'll see'. I just unplugged a little bit ago as I started to write this post. I'm currently at 96% and showing 7:35 left on the battery icon
    in the power saver mode. I have the big battery. I'll be pretty happy if it gets anywhere around that on trips/etc.

So far, so good. Pretty sure I'm keeping mine.

5. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    And for those of you who are interested in such things --

PCMark07 Score is 5872
    3DMark11 Score is 2981

6. schokopudding

schokopudding Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its german.

7. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try going into the Nvidia Control Panel and setting the Integrated Graphics to the preferred graphics card. By default it is set to the Nvidia Graphics. Then go to the individual programs, and for the ones that need it (games) set it to use the Nvidia Graphics. This was the first thing I did, and to be honest my laptop can probably get 11 hours doing nothing but web browsing. As I said in my first post I got 8+ hours on my very first charge, and that included more power intensive video streaming and program download/installation (and about 10 hours of sleep).

Review Dell Inspiron 15-7537 Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Inspiron 7000 series gets 12:07 / 6:32 / 1:07 on the three different load levels for the notebookcheck review. Dell quotes "up to 7 hours" for this laptop. Should they only quote "up to 1 hour" because that is all it gets on the higher load scenario? Dell says what test they ran to get their battery numbers for the XPS 15, it is a web browser test, so you should be able to tell that it is a very light load they are using to get that 11 hour number.

adlerhn, drfrank and minni79 like this.
  8. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does it mean that if I order from Dell.nl, the keyboard will also have Dutch on it? It's really a pain to order it in a foreign country while all I know is English.

I'm just annoyed that I'm bounded in the model language to which website I order it from, while no matter where I order, they're like all manufactured and sent from China, no offense.

vini7 and adlerhn like this.
  9. Infinite Jest

Infinite Jest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if this is closer to rMBP quality or yoga 2 pro/Ativ book 9.

10. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your views are different maybe because you were lucky enough to have gotten a good battery.

"Workload" doesn't get any lighter than 20% brightness, slow browsing of a few websites/a few tabs, and messaging/typing. No photo, no video, no gaming, not even word processing. Basically you can't do much with a laptop without flipping the screen open and having the Wifi on at least, and this is giving me around 5 hours, which is less than half the 11 hours, and much less than what you're expecting to get. Even an hour or two less means a lot for a laptop. We all think 11 hours is a big joke, but 5 is a huge letdown.

I'm not too concerned about the graphics switching. I don't think I know the full details, but it seems to be running on the Intel graphics most of the time anyway.