XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Infinite Jest

Infinite Jest Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does the 3200x1800 display use a PenTile type subpixel arrangement or an RGB stripe?

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there a reason you're not using Intel Rapid Start? It's basically the power savings of hibernation combined with the fast resume of sleep; the only downside compared to regular sleep is that the time to enter Rapid Start hibernation is closer to regular hibernate than regular sleep (but still fast since you're writing to an SSD). I've tried it several times here without any issues waking up. The only weird thing is that after you press the Power button to wake it up, it takes about 2-3 full seconds actually powers back on; at first I thought I had a flaky Power button! But when it does power on, it's immediately ready to go, so resume really is that fast.

Anyway, unless you can't spare the space on your SSD or you're running full disk encryption and are concerned about unencrypted memory data being stored on the disk during Rapid Start hibernation, definitely use that instead. Basically you just enable it, set the Hibernation Timer to immediately, and then whenever you choose Sleep, it automatically enters Rapid Start hibernation instead. Then disable regular hibernation completely in your Power Options, i.e. automatic hibernation after a time period, and hibernate at critical battery level. The former should be set to Never and the latter should be set to Sleep, which Rapid Start will switch over to its hibernate mode.

3. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This sounds really helpful and I was exactly planning to buy a mid model and swap mSATA myself, although it's a little waste that the original 32GB mSATA has nowhere to go. Maybe sell it?
    For now, I'm just waiting for more customer reviews of M3800, to see whether it also has the same flaws in XPS 15.

To sum up, below are the several widely reported flaws in XPS 15(correct me if I'm wrong)
    1. Screen dis-colouring (It's been corrected that it's touch pad dis-coloring because of finger oil. Regarding the screen, there are two instances reporting pressure point that requires replacement.)
    2. Touch-screen non-responsive, after wake up or out of no reason
    3. Touch pad sensitive problem.
    4. Electric whining sound.
    5. Wifi connection (not sure whether the driver update has fixed it or not)

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I doubt you'd get much for the 32GB mSATA drive. Pretty much anyone who could use one probably already has one that came with their laptop anyway. The M3800 is identical to the XPS 15 except for the GPU, so any differences in reported problems would probably be due to just how many people have each one and how picky people are, not due to a difference in the models themselves. As for the issues you're listing, see my answers below:

1. It's the touchpad that reportedly discolors, not the screen. A couple people have reported dead/stuck pixels and dust that seems to be underneath the glass, but that's a QC issue, not a design issue.
    2. Touchscreen becoming non-responsive seems to happen, will probably be fixed with a firmware update. At least on Win8, the option to prevent the touchscreen from going to sleep doesn't seem to be available, which apparently fixed the issue on an XPS 12 in a thread about it. I haven't had mine go unresponsive, but I've also hardly used it.
    3. My touchpad is fine. I went straight to the Synaptics drivers based on what I read here, and although it was infuriating for the first few minutes before I configured it, after I disabled some functions that got in my way (mostly the Edge Gesture), I find it completely usable. I don't have any issues with it not registering clicks in either of the bottom corners. I don't use tap-to-click though, so I can't comment on how well that works -- maybe that's what people are complaining about? Haven't really had any issues with palm rejection not working, but I also haven't used the touchpad much since most of the time I'll be using an external keyboard and mouse.
    4. I have a small electronic sound that's exactly like the Precision M6300 I had before this one, and exactly like what I hear with lots of other laptops. It was louder and more noticeable in the first few hours I used the laptop and has since quieted down significantly, so maybe the complaints here are from very first impressions? I still hear it a bit, but honestly you have to be in a very quiet room to hear it. Even my external hard drive drowns it out. Of course different people have different sensitivities and different laptops may be making different levels of noise. But that's a pretty standard laptop noise in my experience.
    5. No problems at all with Wifi. I went straight to the Intel 16.6 driver.

5. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's nearly correct, but just to clear a few items up:

1. If there's 'dis-colouring' happening it seems to be the trackpad, not the screen.
    2. There do seem to be some touchscreen problems, but those seem to be Win 8.1 issues (the same problems are being reported on other machines running 8.1 on other forums), we need to work on MSFT to get a new driver.
    3. Yes, but seems to work okay with some tweaking
    4. Some have reported this, yes, but not all
    5. Wifi issues have not been widely reported. It seems that a driver update has helped those who were having problems
    6. One other issue that you didn't mention: it seems as though battery life has been significantly south of what Dell has advertised on all models.

Those seem to be the biggies.

6. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1. No screen discoloration. There were two instances of a pressure point on the screen requiring replacement but nothing major. Some people have complained of the touchpad being discolored, but in all honesty it is just oils in your fingers depositing on the touchpad. Nothing Dell can do about that really, they could change the coloring on the touchpad perhaps to make it less noticeable, but Dell can't keep your fingers from being oily....

2. I have not had this issue, a couple of people have though. It sounds like a driver issue with low power states and not waking the touchscreen.

3. I have no complaints with the touchpad. It works just fine for me, there are ALWAYS complaints with touchpads though on any laptop.

4. Yep people have reported this, I don't have it on mine. It is a common problem on laptops to have people report this, often times a replacement motherboard can fix the problem.

5. There is no widespread wi-fi problem. Only one instance of bad connections really is reported in this entire thread, most everyone has strong wireless connection.

7. skchan2

skchan2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. Zoomsday

Zoomsday Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for clearing it out.
    And also thanks to kaborchers and Erasmus354.
    This surely will wipe some doubts for some customers that are planning to buy XPS 15, such as me.

But regarding whether M3800 and XPS 15 are identical except for GPU, I still doubt it. At least, somewhere in M3800's thread, a quote from Dell's online chat shows that M3800 has a different motherboard. I also remember there was 'M3800 has better build quality' in that quote.

9. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Regarding battery life (I have the 91WHr):

On my first charge I managed somewhere around 8+ hours of usage which seems to be higher than most people are reporting. I didn't actually use it that long but after about 6.5 hours or so I was at 25% and it said I had about 2.5 hours left. I haven't done a whole lot of fiddling with power settings yet. One thing I did do is set my preferred graphics card in the Nvidia controls to the Integrated Graphics. I will manually set 3d intensive games to the 750m. I think one of the problems people might be having is poor Optimus graphics switching, but that is just a hunch. Also this was with relatively light usage mostly web browsing / downloading / installing and about 2 hours of web video streaming. I turned the brightness all the way down and didn't have any problem seeing the screen.

I think part of the problem with battery life expectations people have is the fact that work load plays a huge role in battery life. I think that Dell can do some driver optimization to improve the battery life by about 20% if they really want to (and I hope they do). However a lot of the complaints are people that don't realize they have a workstation level machine. This is a quad core CPU, not a ULT dual core. Look at Notebookcheck reviews, and you will see battery life that ranges from 12 hours down to 2 hours on the same machine depending upon the workload. I expect I can get my machine to surpass the 11 hours Dell rates it for with a light workload of just web browsing with no video streaming (which is what the note for that battery life says).

I think the upcoming Notebookcheck review will show the widely variable battery life of the unit, and hopefully that will clear up peoples expectations.

10. adlerhn

adlerhn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you saying that the "touchpad discoloration" is just grease from the fingers? If so, can it be easily wiped out or cleaned?