XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. schokopudding

schokopudding Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    that might be the stupidest feature i have ever heard of... if thats true. :)

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's not a Windows feature, it's an Intel feature called Smart Connect; Apple rebadged it as Power Nap on the Mac side. Your machine periodically wakes from sleep to refresh certain email and social media apps when it detects you're within range of a known Wifi network so that when you come back to your machine, you've got totally current data without having to wait for it to update (or not being able to update it if you're no longer within Wifi range). You can change the update interval or disable it entirely though. Still, it shouldn't have drained your battery to that extent though....

3. ajax-jp

ajax-jp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep. Saw the same thing on my Mac over the weekend. It depends on what it happens to run while it's asleep. My mac was at ~60% after not using it since Friday. It had a few updates ready to install this morning.

4. dimitris92

dimitris92 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I ve been using the laptop for the past week now. I dont have any of the problems other people have mentioned except the average trackpad. I have encountered though twice a problem when waking the computer up from hibernation (not sleep). When i pressed the button to wake up, although it is booted up, the screen is black giving me no other choice but to hard reboot it with the power button. Does anyone else have this problem? I dont know if it is a dell or a windows 8 bug..

5. spano

spano Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am not sure if your situation is the same as mine, but even in my old inspiron 6400 i have this problem with windows 7. It seems like an OS issue to me. Sometimes waiting a minute, closing the lid again, waiting for it to sleep, and then opening the lid again resolves the problem. I doubt this is a hardware problem.

6. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've had the same issue with mine. Press the power button once (or close lid if configured to sleep on close) and wait for it to sleep again. Press power button once more to wake a second time, and it should resume normally. It happens once out of every 9-10 sleep wake cycles for me. I think it may have something to do with the Intel deep sleep feature.

7. xp17

xp17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    " It seems like an OS issue to me."
    No. I have many win7 and win8.1 laptops and everything works ok. without this type of issue. It's looks like dell drivers problem.

8. mheuer818

mheuer818 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have this problem on my desktop computer that I built. So no, its not just a Dell problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. xp17

xp17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So maybe the issue is random.

10. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    drfrank likes this.