XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. geezman

geezman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When my touchscreen stops working, I just go into device manager and disable the "HID-compliant touch screen" and then immediately enable it and the touchscreen starts working every time. This shows to me that it is definitely a driver issue.

2. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Definitely way too many problems, too bad there's hardly a Windows substitute for this.

Dell has not one but two of these... because of the M3800. And we have seen that the M3800 was already much more than a work in progress so many months ago... they already had a working version going ages before we got the XPS 15.

So all the people saying that we have to give Dell time, these things are new and there has to be problems, not their fault etc... this is a frigging $2600 laptop (in fact in Australia it's going for a hundred below Three Grand and that's without extended warranty). If one or two of us had a tiny little problem, whatever. But many of us are having multiple problems. On top of that I'm not even expected to get half the battery life promised. Service/support's response has been good for some but terrible for many of us.

Time isn't the issue. I got the Studio XPS when it was pretty much no longer in production. Still had a bunch of technical issues after purchase, like any Dell laptop or desktop.

And if you still argue time is the problem, they've had 2 iterations to test for so long now, what excuse do they have? Or by some miracle were all the tested laptops perfect, and these issues not preventable?

For those returning the laptop, you don't have to justify the decision. But yeah, there's no substitute, this thing has unique features (CPU, GPU, and strong cooling combination in a lightweight Windows package). So I really want them to fix it, but right now I'm just wasting time and money if I have to call them up again and again.

3. shaunnyb

shaunnyb Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey mate.. did u have to drop ur desktops settings to 1600x900 to play bf4? When I am running qhd rez and enter game.. as soon as I drop it to 1600x900 it only shows up a small screen with alot of black around it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

4. k2007

k2007 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So the touchscreen consistently stops working ? What are the other major problems ?

I want to get this too and I have no hope that any of the problems that presently exist will be remedied by Dell.

The question is are any of these deal breakers ?

My Yoga 13 TouchPad driver also stops working consistently but the app/driver re-launches itself automatically and continues to work; a pathetic fix indeed. But if that's the only problem, I'd accept it for now.

Unacceptable would be any components that fail to work (ethernet, touchpad), overheating, or making the laptop unusable, or constantly needing to be serviced/replaced.

Make no mistake though, none of this is acceptable for a new laptop, especially at this price point.

5. tdraw

tdraw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You might be hearing from the vocal minority. I have read every post and understand all the issues discussed. My only disappointment is about 4 hour battery life (mid-tier). I have not yet tweaked any settings to optimize.

6. tdraw

tdraw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just try it!

7. johnyguy

johnyguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    why dont you look into the Aspire V7-482PG-9884
    many people happy with it there is a 14 inch model with 750 gpu
    i have the 15 inch model with the nvidia 720 this thing has great battery life
    6-7-8 hours browsing, thin ,light , very well built IPS screen

good luck

8. flamer7

flamer7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow mate, been looking at it, and it's a great laptop. Acer | Aspire V7 | V7-582PG | Datasheet This is the version for my country. Unfortunately it is the 15 inch one with a darn numberpad at the right side of the keyboard, who even needs those zz. But do tell, how is the battery life during normal wifi usage(watching videos and editing documents) and also during gaming? I will consider this laptop as well. Thanks!

Also, is the warranty global?

9. vmshinox

vmshinox Newbie

Reputations:
    So i am using my xps 15 this morning and when i was about to turn it on, and noticed this on the left side of my screen ,almost in the middle, i tried cleaning it off thinking it was dirt or something but it apparently it is under the glass right here

IMAG0243.jpg

so this doesnt affect the image itself, it is hardly noticeable with the screen turned on, but i know it's there, (yeah, a little OCD), Will it to be much of a hassle to ask for it to be replaced, or will it be quick?will they replace it for this though since it does not affect the screen performance itself?, what do you guys think?

10. dlang

dlang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I can't keep it thinking "Oh they will fix it" just in case they don't.

So I believe that the touchscreen driver is bad, and the touchscreen has a power down issue that randomly affects people. It was fine for me for a bit, but then after a sleep or screen off, it never gets re enabled. If you don't really plan on using it.. not a deal breaker. Have to go in and disable the device and reenable or reboot to get it working.

Touchpad is flaky.. turn off a few gestures, and use the synaptic driver -- probably not a deal breaker

Some have CPU/COIL Whine, mine did not -- YMMV.
    My Screen looked perfect -- some have the pressure points, or dust/stuff under it --YMMV

The Touchpad discolors from the oils on your hand within hours of using it.. Going to just be aesthetic, but I would hate to see it in a year. Not a deal breaker.

GPU does throttle some, but which ones don't? Probably not a deal breaker, CPU still goes strong.

But for me, If I pay that much, I expect a mostly trouble free laptop.

I think I am going to buy the 13" rMBP, decided I don't really need the dGPU, and would probably prefer the lighter weight. I still have a Gaming desktop, as long as the 13 can play some games when I am traveling even if it is at LOW settings, I will be happy.

There was a big sale on the 15" rMBP right now, and I have one on order at the price (same price as the Dell non discounted). But I believe that I will order the 13 instead.. trying to make up my mind.