XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bneslsc

bneslsc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had my XPS15 for 2 weeks now and I just discovered I have a dead pixel (the bright kind). I swear it wasnt there before. Do they just pop up, or is it something that is always there and I didn't notice.

I'm really peeved now as I really liked my laptop and have it set up for everything I do. I don't want to have to return it or get a new one. I also dont want the screen replaced (everytime I've have a Dell repairmen "replace" something, they have NEVER installed it properly). Should I just toughen up and just get them to build me a replacement?

Many thanks,
    BNESLSC

2. GlynG

GlynG Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm hoping to save up and buy an XPS 15 and am slowly reading through the thread. I have a couple of questions:

Is it laptop available in red rather than silver? I'm much prefer this. I can't seem to see an option for it but is it possible they might add one later?

Can one of the new 2TB 2.5" hard drives be used in it? I gather they're 9.5mm tall, I'm not sure if that fits or not. Ideally I'd probably get one of these plus a 1TB Msata.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

3. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure if you're serious or joking. This isn't Inspiron, Studio, or Studio XPS. No colours.

4. Gabbose

Gabbose Newbie

Reputations:
    I received my XPS Wednesday. Only got to try it out for the first time last night and noticed something a little worrisome. When picking up the laptop and flipping it over I noticed sound as though something is loose inside. The sound is coming from the front right side of the base. Where I believe the harddrive would be. I have the high-end configuration of the laptop.

Anyone else experience this?

5. c0derbear

c0derbear Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the 120Gb version of that SSD in my L521X, put it in a year ago Sept and it's been flawless. I have my data files on the HDD, OS and Apps on the mSATA. W8.1 boot is rather snappy (reliably sub-5s according to Task Manager).

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Colors haven't been available for quite a while and I don't think were ever available on the XPS line. The 2.5" drive in here appears to be a 5mm unit, even slimmer than the "thin" 7mm and the regular 9.5mm drive, so I doubt any drive could get 2TB into sufficiently few platters to keep thickness that low. And right now there's no 1TB mSATA drive I'm aware of.

EDIT: The 5mm note pertains to the Inspiron 14 7000 I was researching around the same time and I got the two confused. The XPS/M3800 is either 7mm or 9.5mm (not sure which), bit definitely more than 5. Sorry about that!

7. ajax-jp

ajax-jp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    We had colors back in the XPS M1730/M1530 days.
    Oh yea, we also had 10lb laptops back then....

8. dlang

dlang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I think the Touchpad may be a deal breaker for me. Too finicky, swipes from left and right.. super annoying... also right clicking, it thinks my fingers are one (guess I am holding them too close) have to purposefully spread them to get a right click. Don't remember having to do that with the rMBP.

I also seem to hate windows 8. I have it on my desktop at home, and it has never bothered me that much on that, but for some reason on the laptop the suckiness seems to be magnified, unless I use the touch screen. Also the fact that the dpi scaling causes some games to break.. eh..

To everyone who is lucky enough to have a rMBP and the XPS 15, if you had to pick just one, which would it be so far?

9. aelmer

aelmer Newbie

Reputations:
    I was looking at port replicator/dock options that support the XPS 15 and wondered if anyone had any experience or suggestions on what works and what to avoid. The feedback on the Dell website makes me think there's nothing there worth getting but I'd like to get some more data points. Thanks.

10. ajax-jp

ajax-jp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As of right now, the Mac.

I have a feeling that the Dell's issues will be sorted out, it'll just take time.
    What issues do you have with win 8 on the laptop vs the desktop? I run win 8 on all of my machines including my rMBP in a VM, and I really have no issues with it whatsoever.