XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Gugus2000

Gugus2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On my benchmark both GPU and CPU was on load. I havz already made a stress test of the GPU with 3DMark and frequency of the GPU was always on turbo and GPU temp around 74°

2. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but this test does not proof anything, because it completely leave out the GPU.
    I have posted many times the correct way to make a reliable test about throttling, it's the same methodology used by Notebookcheck.
    Both CPU and GPU must be on heavy or full load at the same time to say something about throttling (this happens in most demanding games) for example Prime95+Furmark can reproduce that situation easily, to monitor the test you need a program like HWinfo that can record all parameters while the test is performed.

3. fernandez.alexander

fernandez.alexander Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you sure it is not death pixel? mine screen got 3 death pixels and I am returning it

4. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not normal, but on a new model with lots of fairly rare components (QHD+ display, 512GB mSATA SSD, etc), I expect there may be parts shortages that are causing delays, which would explain why some orders go through quickly and others get held up.

I agree with you on trackpad quality on principle, but if your trackpad is your primary Windows interface, your efficiency is being killed no matter how awesome the trackpad is. An external mouse would be a world of difference, but better yet would be learning your keyboard shortcuts. I said a while back that whenever my friends/colleagues/family watch me work, they're always amazed by two things: how quickly I get around Windows, and the fact that I can move that fast without almost ever touching the mouse. I keep explaining to them that I can be this fast BECAUSE I don't use the mouse. Compare the time it takes to press a key combination to the time it takes to move your hand from the keyboard to mouse/trackpad, move the cursor to the object you want to click (let's say it's a menu), then moving the mouse down that menu to the submenu you want to open, then finally clicking the option you want to activate, and then moving your hand back to the keyboard. It might not seem like much, but those seconds of difference for each thing you click on that many times during the day really add up.

Here are some keyboard shortcuts I use day in, day out:

F2 = Rename (files/folders in Windows, or cells in Excel)
    Alt-F4 = Close app
    Ctrl-F4 = Close the window in that app (e.g. tab in a browser rather than the entire browser, or an image in Photoshop)
    Alt-Left/Right = Back/forward in Web browser
    Ctrl-Tab or Ctrl-Shift-Tab = Cycle the windows within an app forward or backward (e.g. tabs in a browser), as opposed to Alt-Tab which cycles entire apps.
    Alt-S = Send email in Outlook
    Ctrl+Enter = Send email in Thunderbird
    Ctrl+R = Reply in Outlook or Thunderbird
    Tab/Shift-Tab = Cycle clickable options (hit Enter to select the desired option), which is useful for choosing options in cases like Yes/No/Cancel dialog boxes or Save/Open file selection windows without having to move your mouse to them to click on the option you want.

There are TONS more like that. You can pick up a lot of them by just tapping the Alt key in an app. The letter that gets underlined in each menu's name is the key you can press with the Alt key to trigger that menu -- and then the letter underlined in each function of that menu is what you can press next to trigger that. So for example in Firefox if I press Alt-T, then let go of Alt and press "O", I can call up the Options menu.

And best of all, learning more keyboard shortcuts makes you use the keyboard faster, which in turn raises your typing speed and makes you more efficient EVERYWHERE. I'm currently around 140 WPM.

adlerhn likes this.
  5. asawyer13

asawyer13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My high end version that I ordered 11/11 is now showing shipped from NJ and scheduled to be delivered by tomorrow. I am in western NY.

6. spano

spano Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well done gugus, this is how you make a proper statement about performance/throttling, you show graphs.

Although some GPU stats would be nice too.

7. coercitiv

coercitiv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you even bother to take a look at the graphs Gugus posted? He did a "Power Supply" test in OCCT, which will stress CPU, GPU and RAM at the same time.

8. Gugus2000

Gugus2000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When i have made the test GPU was on load as well ...
    The report i got from GPUZ is :

All the test at : GPU Core Clock [MHz] : 1058.2
    All the test at : GPU Memory Clock [MHz] : 1249.7
    GPU Temperature : vary from 65°C to 74°C

I don't understand what you expect more ?

9. nlp

nlp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am sure. If I press the screen on that point a circle of discoloration forms arround the particle.

10. tdraw

tdraw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i had 9 days from order (mid-tier machine) to ship (west coast). Many are taking longer