XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. iamcanadian4

iamcanadian4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please refer to this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/737514-issue-screen-new-xps-15-a.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  2. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My battery report says estimated capacity based on all observations at full charge is 6hr 38min. At design capacity it says 7hr 14min. I'm at 83,540 mWh down from 91,000 mWh designed capacity.

What are your numbers exactly?

3. ajax-jp

ajax-jp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Based on your link, we're talking about the same thing.
    I'm using Intel's own power/clock speed app for the Mac to determine this, btw, so if the numbers are off, it's them.

And yes, the 4850HQ is drawing 47-48W full load at 2.7GHz.
    According to the chart, that's about right: cTDP 47 W / 2.3 GHz cTDP up 55 W / 3.3 GHz
    It was up at 50W at 3.08GHz.

4. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Right but krayziehustler is reporting that his works fine with the Dell drivers - mine only works with Synaptics and a lot of fiddling in the registry.

5. TheMania

TheMania Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has -anyone- managed to get 8hrs out of the claimed 11hr 91Wh battery yet?

Wondering if it's working just fine for some and mine is defective or if they're all currently bugged.

6. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, could you tell me what power profile and brightness you're at?

Also, what does the power indicator in Windows normally tell you about your battery remaining? Is it consistent with the battery report and actual experience?

Cos I use Dell power settings, changed brightness to 20%, set Wifi on max performance, disabled sleep when the screen is closed. And it shows me just over 3 hours to 5 hours on full charge.

7. kashing92

Reputations:
    One guy said he got 5 hours Skype with the screen off, then 2 hours on top of that of web surfing.

I'm also seriously concerned about this but Dell's response wasn't good. Hoping it's a bad battery that can and will be replaced. No way other people are getting 6 to 8 hours and I'm stuck at 3 to 5 at best.

8. dlang

dlang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got a random FedEx ship notification for my address.. I signed up for like the FedEx @ home so they email me whenever something is headed my way. Hoping it is the Dell laptop I ordered from Costco, it is signature required, and supposedly weighs 8 lbs. Can't think of anything else I have shipped (course could just be a random box on it's way to me since it is from Georgia, and we have some family in Georgia, but since we driving their next week, why would they do that?)

8lbs sound about right?

tricky76 likes this.
  9. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm using the Dell power profile and my brightness looks to be at 30%. The power remaining indicator (hovering over the battery icon in the system tray) seems pretty consistent with the battery report. Right now it says 58% remaining with 3 hours and 30 minutes left. It varies with system load though. Right now I have an small Linux VM running in the background and four tabs in Chrome open - one being Facebook which seems to use a little more CPU that most websites. Right now my wireless adapter is set to max power saving on battery and maximum performance on AC. I'm about 15-20 feet from my router (at Netgear WNDR3700v2) with an open doorway to it, but not exactly line of sight. I have 5 (all) bars on the WiFi indicator and the Intel driver says I'm at ~25mW transmit power (which it claims is 100%). In the wireless adapter status, it reports that I'm connected between 240 and 270 Mbps. I just pulled down a Debian ISO from my desktop over WiFi that was ~600MB. Windows reported a transfer rate of about 15.9 MB/sec and it took a little over 30 seconds.

10. kashing92

Reputations:
    Right, thanks. So I just used an hour on battery (surfing, messaging) and it drained ~20%, so 5 hours seems about fair. And each time I use this thing on battery it gets worse and worse. Your indicator suggests nearly 6 hours, which isn't that much better than mine.