XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No lags on COD. But it isn't on high settings, just a few things are on or high.

Using HWM, which tends to show lower temps than a few other progs.

2. is250

is250 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    x2. Is it a single use type of coupon? If not, would you mind sharing? Thanks.

3. kaborchers

kaborchers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    FWIW that's actually very good.

That actually puts it closer performance-wise to a 760M than a GDDR3 750M, at least for this benchmark according to notebookcheck.

This
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

versus this
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Would still be great to see another 2011 score. Seems reasonable to expect around 3000 or so (vice the 2700 on 750M GDDR3).

4. [-Mac-]

[-Mac-] Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    May I ask to owners to use HWinfo64 in log mode while you are playing games, so a CVS will be created and you can post in this forum.

Instructions:

1) Download HWinfo64:
    http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_426.exe
    portable version (this version does not need to installation)
    http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw64_426.zip

2) Launch your game, and come back to windows then you can launch HWinfo (remember to set logging mode), in this way GT750m will be logged

3)Come back to your game and play normally

4)Send CVD file in this forum, if CVS file is to big or file extensions is not allowed you can use 7Zip, Winzip or Winrar.

This file will record all information such as the clock of GPU and CPU their load and their temperature throughout the time that you have played.

5. el3ctronics

el3ctronics Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can confirm the touch screen fix does NOT work.

6. tdraw

tdraw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i was one of the lucky ones - 9 days from order to shipping (mid tier shipped from California)
    Regarding the Dell rep's explanation - THEY DON'T KNOW AND THEY MAKE IT UP :).
    I am still loading programs and setting mine up. No problems with it. Really sweet machine! Some are critical of the touchpad, I like the way it works.
    The one thing i really wish was better is the speaker quality. Fine with the volume on the low side, but distortion starting at medium level is a bummer.
    Battery life with normal use (browsing and some video play) not wonderful. Seems like 4 hours is max.

I read a bunch earlier in these pages about 1920 x 1200 and scaling to 100% or 125% or 166% or 200%. I spent a lot of time looking how to achieve those settings and can't see where to adjust the scaling. Can someone walk us through that?

7. Booom

Booom Newbie

Reputations:
    @el3ctronics :

if u had to chose just one between xps n mbp (256/8gb) what will be ur pick and why?

do other guys make theirs choices or not yet?

8. UKyank

UKyank Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Something my wife got in the mail about a month ago from them. Unfortunately it was a 1 time use thing.

9. RighteousFerret

RighteousFerret Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So now I'm waiting on my replacement laptop. Sucks because Dell support may not be able to get me a new machine until the ship date posted on their website (which currently stands at December 2nd). In the meantime, I thought I'd reformat this sucker just to confirm it's 100% faulty wi-fi hardware and not software. In the process, I've run into a couple problems:

1) There's a partition on the hard drive labelled "PBR image." It's 6.97 gigs. I assumed this was a Windows 8.1 restore image, but when I go to the restore page in settings it says "could not find the recovery environment." Is there not a recovery "disc" embedded on this hard drive?

(As a caveat to this, I split up my C: partition on the 1 TB hard drive into a C: and D: drive. Some of my programs, like iTunes, D-fend and Carbonite, expect files to be in the same place they were on my old laptop with two drives. Could this have confused Windows?)

2) My partition software (EaseUS) reports that my 1 TB hard drive has a capacity of 931.51 - correct. But it shows the second drive (C400 RealSSD m RAID disc device - presumably the mSATA) only has a capacity of 8.02 gigabytes. That's supposed to be 32 gigs, right? Did I get shafted on this machine? Anyone else get the same reading?

Very confused. It doesn't really matter since I'm in the process of exchanging this machine for a new one, but I want to make sure we're all getting the correct sized mSATA.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you spend any time looking via Google? ;) If so, you might have found this: How to Make the Windows Desktop Work Well on High-DPI Displays and Fix Blurry Fonts