XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    screen craps out while on the phone with dell tech on phone bc my phone cant pair over BT, even though the phone is a brand new galaxy s4, even after we turned firewall off...so that wasn't resolved, but as im going between metro screen and regular whatever screen, I lost ability to use touch screen....then she says we wil update touchpad driver which apparently is also the screen driver too...so the screen started to respond to touch, but just now crapped out again. no rhyme or reason, then it worked after using mouse for a few minutes

I was mildly upset two days ago when it happened once, a little more worried yesterday when I posted here...and now im starting to get pissed, especially since dell rep couldn't figure out her way around the computer herself...what was it, her first day...she literally had to use the search option to find Bluetooth settings

anyway, what is everyone else doing about the screen crapping out...

2. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt that the touchpad driver is also the touchscreen driver, despite what the Dell rep said -- especially since the touchscreen was previously accounted for in Device Manager as using a generic Microsoft driver. In any case, I'm thinking this will require a firmware update. Until then the only workarounds people have mentioned have been reboots, unfortunately.

EDIT: See this post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...15-haswell-owners-lounge-115.html#post9456844

3. fernandez.alexander

fernandez.alexander Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My touchscreen is not working out of the box! I am waiting for a brand new replacement unit. I will give it another go with Dell. If they still f* up this time, I will return to Mac. I rather be an Apple and have a product that works as advertised :p With your problem, same with mine, I talked to different tech rep. Here what you can try, go to device manager, and look for human interface device, and if touch screen is not listed under there, we are the same boat. It is apparently not software problem, it is from lose wire that your pc cannot detect the touch screen. probably from rough handling during delivery. Only way to fix this is physical. If I were you, I will just demand a replacement unit.

tricky76 likes this.
  4. tricky76

tricky76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks...just checked, its listed there and says working normally

yeah she did not sound confident when we were updating driver that "touchpad" driver was screen driver...there were many moments of silence while she typed away to see what next move would be...how do I say I want this elevated? I mean, a 2 hour call and NO resolution? oh and Samsung galaxy s4 and windows 8.1 don't talk to eachother? any advice?

5. is250

is250 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the best price people have got for the mid-tiered configuration ($1899.99 one). Looking to see what type of discount people have got. Thanks.

Edit: I'm in the US by the way. Representative said students only get a 2% discount.

6. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Possible touchscreen fix!!

Found this post in the XPS 12 thread, may be useful to those with touchscreen issues and other quirks: http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/693432-xps-12-owners-lounge-141.html#post9247801

Looks like whoever thought it was a device sleep state problem might have been right. Fwiw, since the touchscreen note pertains to a completely separate model, the note about applying that setting to the first USB Input device listed may not apply to the XPS 15, so a bit of trial and error may be in order unless you want to apply that setting to every device, but that could cost you some battery life. Easiest way I could think of to identify the touchscreen would be disabling the devices one at a time and seeing when the touchscreen turns off, though if you disable your mouse accidentally and don't know how to navigate with your keyboard, you may have a problem -- or just keep an external mouse handy in addition to the trackpad. :D

If anyone does this, when you identify which listing is your touchscreen, head over to the Details tab and choose the "Hardware IDs" property from the dropdown, then take a note of the 4-charater strings after "VID" and "PID". Those should be unique to the touchscreen in the system and identical for all touchscreens in all owners' systems, unless maybe Dell has another touchscreen supplier already. In any case, that would at least help save some trial and error for other owners looking to attempt the same fix.

7. F1X3R

F1X3R Newbie

Reputations:
    Dlang, can you explain how you added ADH warranty for 99 to Costco Purchase?

I looked for deals for Black Friday not seeing any so thinking about ordering in the next few days.

Assuming you bought online?

Much appreciated.

Thank you

8. rplst8

rplst8 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I tested this already. When you plug in a set of headphones it asks you what you have. If you answer "headset" your microphone in your headphone/headset will work. If you answer "headphones" it will use the mic built into the laptop.

9. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is pretty cool, thanks. Wonder how accurate it us, shows me 5h 40.

10. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, a few people have. I just had to restart 10 mins ago, again. I can't click in metro or in desktop.