XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kashing92

kashing92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think audio sounds better (at least music and TV) with the Dell max enhancements switched off. My SXPS' realtek drivers didn't have this "distortion" by default.

2. dlang

dlang Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay let me tell you what I think Cells mean. I think the 61 WHR battery is 6 cell, and the 91 WHR is 9cell? Each cell is about 10 WHR worth of run time. I really just think the whole Cell think was a measure of capacity, and had nothing else to do with them. I could be wrong though.

3. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Battery (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 'cell' of a battery just refers to the construction of the battery, if you will. Batteries store energy through a chemical reaction. The capacity/charge/rating/whatever you want to call it depends on the type of chemicals used and the amount of the chemicals. They can be dry chemicals or wet chemicals, the theory is still the same. In order to store/produce the amount of energy that you want, at the voltage you want, you have to have multiple reactions, added in series, to give the design capacity. That's what a cell is, its one set of the chemical reaction. So a 6 cell battery refers to 6 sets of these reactions, a 9 cell battery has 9 sets of these reactions.

A 6 cell battery, with a capacity of 91whr @ ~11v (could be 11, could be 14, depends on what the manufacturer wants) will have *EXACTLY* the same capacity as a 9 cell, 91whr, 11v battery. The difference is just in the chemical composition. You may have differences in cycle times or how long it takes to recharge the battery, but that's because the chemicals will react differently.

Otherwise they are exactly the same. It just depends on the manufacturer and what they want out of it. 6 Cell, 9 Cell, 12 Cell, doesn't make a difference.

So for everyone worrying about it being 6 cell or 9 cell, it doesn't matter. What matters is the voltage and capacity.

That's just a basic explanation, hope that clears it up.

4. jsquirej

jsquirej Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One added thought then two novice questions.

thought - MBP faster due to use of PCIe vs mSATA drive 50% read and 100% read.

how do I adjust the vivid color down. where is the setting?

where is the trackpad setting?

THANKS

5. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You said "read" twice, presumably one was supposed to be write. But that difference isn't likely to be noticeable under regular usage, or certainly not enough to be a big deal. And keep in mind that storage and RAM aren't upgradeable on the Mac, whereas they are on the Dells. So hopefully you're willing (and able) to put up the cash upfront for all the storage you'll ever need as long as you have that Mac! With the Dell you can buy more storage if you need it later, by which time it will be cheaper and very likely faster.

Vivid color is under Mobility Settings, which you can search for in the Start menu search area.

Trackpad settings would be under Control Panel > Mouse.

6. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The difference between a PCIE and MSATA SSD this generation would be imperceptible in daily use. You'd see a difference in bulk writes/reads, in general use it won't make a difference, especially since it should be acting as an OS drive and thats about it, performance then comes down to iops and seek times etc. If you were using it as a scratch disk, you would see a difference, but that's an excellent way to kill an SSD.

Color settings etc can be found in Windows Mobility Center.

7. jsquirej

Reputations:
    Wow that was fast; thanks. You are right, the 100% MBP edge was for write.

This is an interesting journey. At first I thought why go with MAC after being a W user for many years - too much new not worth the effort for my use, Then I get the Dell and find W8 is also a steep initial learning period from prior W versions.

8. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    8.1 helped a lot with that, and this link also helps IMMENSELY with getting comfortable navigating Win8: Getting around your PC - Microsoft Windows

9. jsquirej

Reputations:
    Yowser, that link IS helpful. I'm trying some of the new features and finding items that I assumed were there somewhere.

But, testing some of the features now I notice that although I can zoom in/out using the touchpad or key stokes, I cannot by using the touchscreen. Any ideas.

10. jphughan

jphughan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't have a touchscreen (yet) so if the iPhone-style diagonal pinch gesture described on that page doesn't work, can't help you there, unfortunately. Google may be able to help though. ;)

EDIT: Maybe try vertical, horizontal, and diagonal pinches? The article doesn't specify orientation.