XPS 15 (Haswell) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by mark_pozzi, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mark_pozzi

mark_pozzi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ordered the top spec model of this on the first day and thought it was time to start an owner's lounge as the other thread is full of a lot of posts regarding getting discounts on the machine.

Will be good to have a spot to post questions once reviews start coming out and once we start receiving the machines.

I know the model number is 9011 or something like that. If anyone can remind me I will update the title.

savingpvtbryan likes this.
  2. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you get the model with the 3200x1800 screen? I'm wondering how Windows will handle this resolution.

I currently use my Retina Macbook Pro with Bootcamp and Windows 7 and at 2880x1800 resolution many things I do are so teeny tiny it's unusable.
    Being an IT person, even the simple task of doing a remote desktop into our server brings up a postage stamp-sized window of the server screen.

Looks like November before anyone actually gets one?

Also, the model number may be 9530. Here is the link, and the URL shows 9530.
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd

Update: model number confirmed as 9530.

Fant likes this.
  3. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. c0derbear

c0derbear Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I like the display density, I'm pretty sure win 8.1 will handle it ok (in fact I'm working on figuring out how to make the title bars smaller on the desktop on my l521x since upgrade, they're taking too much vertical space) but that there will be issues such as lancorp noted that need to be dealt with.

I don't think I care at all about a touch screen, and for my use on a computer that's actually bad. Partially because I hate a dirty display, unless they've figured out a magic coating that is 110% fingerprint, smear, and dirt repellent, but even more so that while I'm working on a PC I don't like removing my hands from the keyboard at all. It just slows me down.

Maybe I'm too old but I just don't understand the drive to have touch screens on general purpose machines.

5. lancorp

Reputations:
    I agree. Touch screen for an OS where the extreme majority of the apps were written for a mouse and keyboard is useless.
    It's useful for some entertainment front-ends, but otherwise it's just frustrating trying to tap in just the right spot where I would normally point my accurate mouse to and select it.

I also see that there is no Windows 7 drivers for the new model. Windows 8.1 only. YUK. I find myself in a "rock and a hard place" situation...I dislike Windows 8.1 greatly yet I dislike Apple and their strong arm marketing tactics more.
    As Apple has made it impossible to buy anything you can upgrade (ie., buy lower specs now and upgrade as needed) you must somehow foresee what I will need years from now and just hand over my wallet for the most expensive model, hoping it has everything I need next year, or the year after.

Windows 7 forever. :)

6. maveric101

maveric101 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would add the model number to the thread title, but I would also keep the "(Haswell)" designation. Personally, that's the easiest way to denote versions.

lancorp, what DPI are you running Windows 7 at? Also, if there are things you don't like about Windows 8.1, then take a look at this package of customization tools from Stardock:

Object Desktop - Windows Customization and Productivity Enhancement Suite

You can also buy each tool individually. Start8 is easily the most popular, and it replaces the new start page thing with the good old Windows 7 start menu. I'll most likely be buying this when my laptop arrives.

Edit: Just saw you have over 3k posts here, so perhaps you already knew this. In that case, I'm curious as to what your other complaints are.

As for screen smudges... maybe just don't touch it? It's like you're forced to use the touchscreen (though you are forced to pay for it I guess).

7. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    When I upgraded my PC to IvyBridge-E (dat 6 core) a few weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows 8.1. Despite some initial minor annoyances (like AutoCad Inventor 2013 not working *at all*, forcing me to upgrade to 2014, and things like the default apps for media opening in metro), they're easily fixed.

I actually like it a lot... it's neat.... and that's with a keyboard and mouse. Once you turn on the wallpaper mirroring in metro, sort out all your app shortcuts (and remove all the microsoft crap on the start screen) and change all the default apps to not open in metro (ie picture viewer, media opening in VLC etc etc), it's fine. I basically never venture into the metro interface at all.... plus it's fast.

*shrugs*

I kinda agree with you on the touchscreen though, it's a bit silly sticking it on a laptop. Makes sense on tablets, but it's a bit funny having several input methods on a laptop/desktop. Meh. Not like you have to use it anyways.

8. c0derbear

c0derbear Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You may not need to use the touch-screen, but you certainly paid for it.

9. lancorp

Reputations:
    When you have to apply hacks and fixes to 8.1 to get a start menu, you ignore the metro interface, spend a bunch of time cleaning up the Windows 8 default icons and shortcuts, and you force yourself not to touch it, then you basically have Windows 7, which is my point -- Why change?

I hate their app store look. I could not imagine more of a mess. Any search I do comes up with a dizzying mess of multicolored, unsorted and random apps that are impossible to sort through and painfully "grade school" to look at.
    It (basically) has no class. I just haven't found a compelling reason to want to upgrade. Unfortunately, the new XPS 15 isn't sold with or support Windows 7 (yet).

Granted, I have not wasted my time upgrading to 8.1 yet, but have things really improved that much? I'm guessing not.

10. moda

moda Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Because it's fast and has a number of under the hood improvements (in terms of graphics and power management systems) that make it very nice to use. Really, it took half an hour of messing around to get it how I want it.... and I'd spend the same time in W7 doing exactly the same thing.

I agree that the whole metro interface is a bit of a mess (they really should have had 2 separate installs, one for tablet/touch based machines and one for desktop/laptops, I don't think they have the blend of interfaces quite right yet, close though)... but meh.

The XPS15 should support W7 no issues, they're standard parts that should have W7 drivers available... just because dell doesn't supply them doesn't mean they dont exist :p