XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How is the audio working through the headphone jack? Any issues with hissing with the new drivers on the Dell site?

2. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Works for me, according to Dell support assistant software I have all the drivers. Did a re-install of windows so have no other sound software or stuff that Dell shipped.

Only tried headphones. Not my real headset and sound is working :)

3. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm only getting sound intermittently. I can't figure out why. I called up Costco Concierge (I bought it at Costco). The woman was useless. Update the drivers is all she knows. Weekend B crew perhaps. Another problem I'm having is typing. I'm a 2 finger typist with pretty big hands. I keep accidentally touching the touchscreen. The keys are too close to the screen. I think I'll return it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. werewolf

Reputations:

How did you get Dell Support Assistant? It doesn't respond to me. It says "one moment...". I accidentally left the window open for a couple of hours and then when I looked at it again it still said "one moment..."

5. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just downloaded it from Dells website :) also downloaded power target now for the battery, don't think it has any purpose though other than looking cool

6. werewolf

Reputations:
    That's what I was trying to do too, download it from Dell's website. Maybe its just broken today. Does it have any value?

Right now I'm thinking of returning this one and getting the Huawei matebook pro 512. For one thing its keys aren't so close to the touchscreen.

7. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    More likely you experienced thermal throttling. This is what mine looked like from factory.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

splus likes this.
  8. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's really hit and miss. Best way to get it started is to reboot, wait a few minutes and then give it a try, at least that is what I've found out

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @micmex I uninstalled Dell Support app and I got a better battery life. :) That app doesn't even work properly anyway...
    I disabled the Dell Mobile Connect startup in Task Manager. I might use it in future, so don't want to uninstall it yet.
    Disabled the Realtek and MaxxAudio services in Startup as well, so I don't get any prompts when plugging in headphones, and it all works perfectly. I think sound volume is stronger now without MaxxAudio running.
    I installed the new Dell update app v3.0, which uninstalled the old one that didn't work anyway, and was always active in the background. The new one actually works, and it doesn't run in the background. Perfect.
    I also disabled the touchscreen in BIOS because I don't use it. I think that improved the battery life additionally. And I can wipe the screen at any time without registered touches.

@werewolf That's interesting about the typing... XPS 15 doesn't have its keyboard that close to the screen - it just looks like it's close to the screen because of the hollow gap between. Are you sure Huawei has any more space between the keyboard and the screen? Maybe only proportionally, but I don't think it has physically, because the XPS has a larger body than the Huawei.
    You can disable the tocuhscreen in BIOS if you don't use it. Pres F2 when booting to go into BIOS.

@eucalyptus I also had 9.9% of battery wear when I bought mine. I charged it fully and then worked on the laptop (normal to light work for slower discharge is better, not to stress the battery) until it hibernated automatically at 5% battery.
    I've read somewhere it's better to wait a bit for the laptop and batteries to cool down a bit (half an hour or so is enough) before you plug it back in, so I waited half an hour and plugged it in. I let it charge fully and when I opened the laptop the battery had only 3% wear.
    I did it again, just normal work and normal full charge, and the wear went down to 0.3%. Now it fluctuates between 0.3 and 1.1% of wear after 20+ charges.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    eucalyptus likes this.
  10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isnt it easier to just disable touch?

Headphones are not working great, had to disable some realtek stuff for it even to recognize when I insert them