XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @abujafar posted earlier in this thread what to do to switch from RAID to AHCI. Pretty easy, no need to reinstall anything.
    Here's the post: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9570-owners-thread.817008/page-82#post-10773569

Notice that people tend to post things only when they have problems with their devices and not when they don't?
    I'm very happy with my 9570, everything works great, no issues. I use Logitech wireless mouse with their USB receiver and also with BT, and never had a connection dropout on BT, which I can't say for a few other laptops I've used in past.

I suppose you'll have to find one and see it for yourself because we all see things with different eyes. What's sharp for one person isn't for another...
    That being said, I personally think the difference between the 4K and full HD on a 15.6 screen is definitely visible, especially obvious with text.

I use my 9570 with 4K display for programming, and I specifically got the 4K display for higher than full HD resolution and sharpness of text. Using 175% zoom, it's a pleasure to work with super sharp text. With 6-7 apps open and a browser, doing coding, designing and lots of multitasking, I easily get 8 hours of battery life, sometimes even 9. That's with 50-60% of screen brightness in a well lit room and 20% in evenings. The screen is just so bright that I never need more than that.
    (Btw, looking around cafes, the screen brightness on people's laptops is always dimmer than on my XPS, so even though 20-60% brightness sounds dim, it's actually not - 100% is usable only in bright sunlight, and 0% is too bright in dark for some.)

I undervolted -135 mV with ThrottleStop and removed few Dell apps, which helped the battery life. I might do a fresh install to increase the battery life even more.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    ovasquez19 likes this.
  2. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it worth it to do a fresh Windows installation or just remove some Dell bloatware from the Dell stock Windows?

I have a Win Pro key which I want to use and the laptop came with the Home license. I wonder if it's better to do a fresh install and enter the Pro license key, or just upgrade the stock Windows Home to Pro and remove some bloatware...

pressing likes this.
  3. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Which Dell apps did you remove to save battery life?

4. ovasquez19

ovasquez19 Newbie

Reputations:
    I always do a clean install if I'm worried about bloatware, if I don't, every time there's an issue with the computer I wonder if a clean install would fix it.

5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is kind of interesting, that is similar to what I am seeing with my 9570 with the i9. After repasting, it now seems it power throttles before it thermal throttles. With a much bigger chassis the P52 should be able to have better cooling, but not much use if power throttling occurs before that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9690sc/thinkpad_p52_first_impressions_8850h_p3200/

It should be noted that I have only done some basic stress testing using XTU and OCCT so far, mainly as I dont really do any long running jobs like video encoding, number crunching etc.

6. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Afterall, these are 45W cpus. Why do people complain if they power limit at 45W? It's normal, it's the expected behavior! Think about it!

splus likes this.
  7. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everyone with FHD version. Do you also have backlight bleed around the display??

And battery time. Using it for we browsing and Netflix with "better battery life" set in windows. And it says "3-4 hours remaining according to windows.... I expected something like 10 hours with a 97Wh battery and 1080P screen. Although 10% wear on the battery

8. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @eucalyptus some backlight bleed is to be expected with IPS panels. It really depends on how bad is your situation.
    The 10% wear out of the box is also what everyone is seeing.

9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but do we know for a fact that it does not kick in BEFORE the promised power levels? I have not done much looking into this as I assumed it would throttle before buying it, so have not checked at what point it throttles in mine.

10. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay thanks :) Had an Acer Aspire V5 from 2014 ('13 model) with IPS and zero bleed.

Although, my Acer Predator X34 monitor have plenty, but that's a curved 1440P and those all have some serious bleed.

And dont Apple use IPS but with glass and coating? They don't have bleed, do they ? :O

Mine har rock solid in the top, just some in the bottom corners and some bigger peaks in the bottom middle. Only visible at higher brightness and black background. Can definitely live with it, but for this price it should be rock solid ;)

Am I the only lucky one with a Samsung PM981 SSD???? 512GB version.

Haven't found any other issues such as keyboard, seems to be working fine.

Also, the temp issues! I mean, I ran TimeSpy with maximum performance in windows settings with HWmonitor in the background on AC adapter, and it got warm, but not over 90 degrees.Mostly low 80's. Have they improved the paste maybe? Anyone with a recent shipped one? Mine is built mid-July.