XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to update my LiteON drive. Dell has posted 2 diffrent firmware updates and whenever I try to run the update, I get a quick window frame that opens and then closes. I've tried running it in compatibility mode, safe mode, and even trying to update it through hardware manager. Nothing.

Anyone have similar experience?

2. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't know what the program is and I'm not able to check, but if the message is in a command prompt window try running it from there, that way it won't disappear.

3. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Try uninstalling Intel and NVidia video drivers using DDU and reinstalling them again.

bwrlane likes this.
  4. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    New firmware for the Hynix SSD available.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

abujafar likes this.
  5. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, I had similar problems and had to do just that to get NVidia installed again. Still getting frequent crashes, boot problems with my second 9570. Hard to believe that this is like the third or forth release in the same XPS series...seems to be going downhill fast in some regards.

pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahaha. Maybe not downhill but a rather predictable pattern.

Dell eventually got even the 9550 largely sorted out. Just took a lot of BIOS and driver releases. And some user tweaking. . .

7. ImJohnnyMc

ImJohnnyMc Newbie

Reputations:
    Thinking of ordering the Dell xps 9570 at the end of the month, specs:
    i7 6core
    16gb ram
    1050ti
    512gb ssd
    FHD

Getting the machine for mainly college work i.e. coding, some adobe programs like animate, photoshop and dreamweaver. Its going to be a huge upgrade from my laptop now and I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice with this one. Any recommendations or advice? Thanks

8. vCanalla

vCanalla Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I tried updated my LiteON through the USB boot utility and when I did that, the DOS utility told me "no ATA drive found." My suspicion is that the default RAID setting (no Idea why) is causing issues with the readability of the LIteON drive for updating purposes. That's my armchair analysis at least.

And, considering that, from what I've read, RAID -> AHCI requires a reinstall, not really up to doing that.

9. werewolf

werewolf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Reading things like this make me wonder if I should return mine and get something else. I've bad no problem so far (except for some reason I can't get the wireless mouse to work) but then I haven't used it much yet either.

10. ovasquez19

ovasquez19 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have only seen the 4K in person, can someone that has seen both in real life comment about their differences?

The 4K sounds like a dream but since I will use it mostly for work/programming I'm thinking about going with the FHD due to having 3-5 more hours of battery life which is really important to me.

Is FHD sharp enough for a 15 inch laptop?