XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bunch of fart smellers

2. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried to disable the touchscreen in BIOS to reduce the power consumption?

Most people say that in theory it shouldn't matter much, but people who have tried say they get noticeably better battery life.
    I have a 4K panel and don't use the touch at all, so I tried to turn off the touchscreen in BIOS. I can't be 100% sure but think the idle power usage seems to be gone down a bit.

On another note - my keyboard was missing keystrokes, around 1 in 20, which was reeeeally annoying. I thought it's a hardware issue, and was already thinking to call Dell to replace the keyboard. But then I looked online, and it looks like it's a common software problem with quite a few Dell laptops, especially XPS and Precision models.

The BIOS fix for missing keystrokes on 9570 is apparently in the works, but someone posted a temporary fix - disable the Intel Panel self refresh option in Intel Graphics power settings. Sounds weird, but it works!

Panel self refresh option is a good power saving feature, which causes the display to refresh less often if nothing changes on the screen. In my previous Lenovo Yoga laptop this option would reduce the power consumption by almost 1W. However, I couldn't see any difference in XPS 9570 with this option on and off.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    improwise and pressing like this.
  3. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A question:
    Has anyone with a colorimeter made a calibrated color corrected profile for XPS 9570?
    The reds are quite off on a 4K display...
    Edit: Actually, both reds and blues seem quite dark, whereas the greens are much lighter.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There seems to be quite a lot of variation between the panels despite the same label. I once tried a profile posted with a Notebookcheck review, but it wasn't good. If you don't want to buy a colorimeter you can try borrowing one or having the laptop calibrated somewhere. Mind older devices are not good for wide-gamut panels.

5. Paul Dubey

Paul Dubey Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Dell XPS 15 9570. I want to change my PC401 NVMe SK hynix 1TB M.2 SSD with a Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 PCIe drive. The PC401 is set up as a Raid Drive on the Dell. I want to clone or copy over to the Samsung 970 everything on my Dell PC401 Drive. I’ve tried Acronis True Image but the Dell doesn’t recognize the Samsung 970. Is there a way I’m supposed to set up the Samsung 970 drive first? I’ve also tried Snapshot and Macrium Reflect. How do I get the Dell XPS 15 to see the new Samsung 970 EVO drive?

6. bwrlane

bwrlane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, been lurking on this thread for a bit. Received my 9570 a few days ago, basic specs: i9, 32GB, 2TB.

I'm a keen amateur photographer and my main computer is a custom desktop (Haswell-E 5930k). I use Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, etc. For my laptop, the objective has always been something that combines power with portability. Ideally, it would be something that comes close to the performance of my desktop.

Until recently my mobile workhorse had been a 2012 15'' Macbook Pro i7 3820QM. However, I've been feeling the Mac no longer cuts it. It's old and feels a bit slow. I'm also bit fed up with Mac OS these days. It seems clumsy and dated, so decided to go Windows. Hence the Dell.

I'm aware of all that's been written about throttling and have played with under-volting and so on.

But how does it do in the real world? With that question in mind, I set up a 4-way test of my desktop, the Dell, the Macbook it just replaced and my other machine - a Clevo gaming laptop (Skylake i7 6700 desktop CPU).

The test was a 150 photo Lightroom export. Most of them are in RAW format (needs hefty processing and memory) and all have various effects applied to them.

The desktop was heavily overclocked to 4.3GHz (all 6 cores) and has liquid cooling. Some would say that's not a fair test as none of the other machines are overclocked. I'd disagree. The thermal advantages of a desktop with proper cooling are inherent to the format. The other machines can't be overlocked even if the CPUs were unlocked, because there's no thermal headroom. (In any case I ran the desktop benchmark twice - once overclocked the other time at stock settings).

Here's a rough and ready video of the test. Hope you find it interesting.

I think the Dell turns in an impressive showing, considering it's up against a reasonably powerful 140W TDP CPU from not that long ago. Stock vs stock, the results are as close as makes no difference.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  7. pkincy

pkincy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My guess is that TI needs to see the NVME driver in order to recognize the new drive to accomplish the cloning process. Go to the Acronis Forum for True Image 2018 and search for the MVP Tool-Custom ATI WINPE Builder and follow those directions to build a bootable TI usb/dvd that has all the drivers you will need in your XPS. Unfortunately the standalone Acronis Software while good doesn't have all you need to boot into a modern computer and do its thing well.

Paul Dubey likes this.
  8. micmex

micmex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Have the same version of 9570/ssd, looking forward to see how much speed you gain with the 970 evo. I have been looking for an external NVMe SSD Box, but they are hard to find and very expensive

Paul Dubey likes this.
  9. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seriously, what is up with the boot up problems? I though perhaps my machine was again the victim of poor QC from Dell but I get the impression it is a common problem for the 9570 to hang during boot up/post?

maffle likes this.
  10. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you refering to seeing it in the BIOS or in Windows?