XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I partitioned.
    I am not a great expert. From my understanding, there shouldn't be any difference. When using a single drive, RAID should use an AHCI mode.
    I don't really know. One advantage is that you don't have to install Intel RST. :p

Still working fine for me. Not closing any program.
    I will check how much the "S3 mode" sips before upgrading to 1.3.0 firmware

2. improwise

improwise Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you do a clean Windows installation? I happened to run a benchmark before reinstalling (and switching to AHCI) and one after and the difference was massive. And this was with the same SSD (now replaced with a Samsung PRO, mainly for size reasons)

3. FlexiPack

FlexiPack Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've ordered a 9570 from DELL Outlet. Any tips or suggestions on tests I should perform to make sure everything is working properly?

4. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Remember when I had my old Xps 13 9550 it came with dell backup and recovery to restore the computer to the factory image with all the dell drivers preinstalled.

Cant find this on the 9570. What is the proper procedure to restore to the factory dell image?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here is it, and yes, its a clean installation...

Attached Files:

6. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ... no... NOT working FINE. Just open a game which uses the Nvidia GPU, let it run for a few moments so CPU and GPU are like 70°C or so, now put it to """sleep""" (modern """standby""")... what happens? The laptop will NOT SLEEP... the fans are ALWAYS on, temps ALWAYS stay around 60-65°C... drain is obviously high. This is totally DANGEROUS and not what you expect. You expect a laptop to be off for sleeping. Lets say someone is playing a game, or is just using some high CPU power computation... or just has some high CPU usage Chrome tabs open. Now he puts it to "sleep", and puts the laptop in his (small) travel bag, maybe even a totally closed laptop cover. Would you expect it to burn in your bag now with lid closed, fans on (no air circulation possible in the bag) ... ??? No, you dont. If you put a laptop where some high computation is happening (even a game) into S3, all computation will stop, all heat will stop. The laptop is really off, and safe for travel.

7. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't find it strange that the fans keep spinning to cool down the system before sleeping or even a shutdown.
    Clearly, they have to stop at some point and the system has to enter a proper sleep state.
    Do they stop spinning at some point?

I'll try when I get home.

8. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How many times... NO, they WONT, under this constellation, they will spin forever and the CPU and GPU will stay forever around 60-70°C. Thats also the reason, why you can have a drain in modern standby. By your reasoning, a drain cant happen in modern standby, it wouldnt be possible, right? So it wouldnt matter to have any kind of program or any amount of different programs or any service running. It sleeps, right? So how could there be a drain?

Does someone here has another more modern laptop (7/8th gen intel) btw, maybe even a 9550 or 9560 and could test, if the c stuck bug happens exclusively on the 9570? Maybe it is a general bug with Windows 10 actually (right now).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  9. jpierson86

jpierson86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be honest I’ve never needed to use sleep because I’ve never trusted it on any computer. Especially with how fast modern machines boot, I’m too paranoid of a person to just close a laptop and put it in a bag. I always turn it off.

I got my 9570 today and I love it. I don’t know if I’ll even bother repasting. After updating all drivers (Nvidia through Nvidia Experience, Killer driver had to be updated through device manager for some reason) I’m very happy with it. Locked Diablo 3 at 60fps and at max graphics cpu and gpu were around 75c. Room for improvement but not terrible. Going to undervolt tomorrow and see how it does. My only nitpick is that the U key is a little crooked, but still feels fine.

huntnyc likes this.
  10. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i love mine as well, about my second week owning and its so solid. i bought it knowing what i was getting and knowing its not the best gaming laptop out there but man am i happy with the build quality and over all performance with work use and gaming on it is just a plus. to be honest i shouldnt be gaming on a laptop when i have a 1080 ti desktop right next to me. but yeah this thing is solid. picture myself traveling with this laptop for work for years and making alot of memories getting work done. hopefully in the future i will add a large samsung ssd and put some fast timing ram, maybe 32gb but most likely will never need that much ram and just pay for 16gb of some good timings.

huntnyc likes this.