XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't fiddled with any Windows settings to make the S3 sleep better in my old laptops. But then, why should I? I'd like it to just work, and I don't have much time to tinker with all kinds of causes of wake ups... S3 sleep did work in 95% of cases, but every now and then it didn't.

I'm not running prime95 and entering the standby. I have around 10 windows open of web, office and programming kind of apps with wifi and BT on. It's just my experience that the laptop (so far) hasn't woken up even once with all these windows open.

My Hynix SSD results are on stock RAID. Haven't changed anything. Normal Dell balanced power plan with default Optimized thermal management setting in Dell Power Manager.
    I think power plan settings can affect the SSD speeds quite a bit. Might be worth playing with them...
    I have no idea why the seq write speed is halved when Chrome is running! Maybe it's just on my laptop, but it is weird...

2. lefti696

lefti696 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so its obvious to get nvme over sata. but should i get the 970 evo or the 960 evo lol

5. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For reference, these are the results with my SSD (512 SK Hynix, AHCI mode, on AC)

ahci3.PNG

6. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My XPS came with Hynix 1tb, this is my diskmark...

Attached Files:

7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    lol.

custom90gt likes this.
  8. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its been a while since I've had a Windows laptop. Getting my i9 version tommorow. Can I just download the latest video drivers from Nvidia or just get them from dell?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

9. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you get a new DiskMark v6 and check again? The old v3 has a different test and different results than v6.

maffle likes this.
  10. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @abujafar
    Did you repartition your SKH into C and D (also did a new Windows install)? Or why is it D: and has 0/242. Weird, how yours has a significant better writing speed in 4k than mine... what is your AHCI driver version youre using right now? Is it really actually a good idea to use AHCI if you dont use a Samsung SSD? Then you need it, but for others, I saw a block diagram somewhere, that with RAID, the "path" of the data flow is a bit different, and if using AHCI it goes through the OS first compared to a more "deeper" flor through the SoC. Does AHCI maybe use more CPU while copying?

I got feedback again from the Alan guy at Dell... and I am totally frustrated now. He told me, they removed S3 from bios and it wont come back, because the "9570's hardware doesnt support S3", original quote. How pathetic is that? It is obviously not true. Of course, it can do S3. I am also wondering if it works correctly under Linux, and the C state bug doesnt happen there. Maybe someone could check that using Linux on the 9570?

I totally dont want to use a laptop, which has no proper sleep. Modern standby is a joke, compared to S3. It cant work correctly. If the OS/CPU just "tries" to sleep, how can it work? Every tine little process, or service, could literally create a drain, and you wont ever find out, which one, or it is really hard. Or some driver issue.... Having lots of programs open, then the chances literally exponentially explode, with every app more running, each more chrome tab... that there will be a drain in modern standby, because there is always a little part of CPU usage, which will wake up the CPU half of the time or even worse. Putting it to S3... and it will always sleep, always work, never drain. Every part is OFF, but a little bit of power for the RAM state. Zero power to CPU, SoC, Wifi, Bt, fans, ect.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018