XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Numbers on a screen are great, but that's really all they are. I've only owned every Samsung NVMe SSD since the PM/SM951 except for the 970pro and I've owned a lot of other SATA and NVMe drives and I haven't been able to tell a difference. I'd love to see some real world tests from you showing the differences. What are you installing games from that install at 3GB/s? There are numerous real world tests showing that loading games isn't better on an NVMe drive. Really the biggest benefit would be video editing and transferring files from one NVMe to another but the XPS has one NVMe slot.

improwise and Papusan like this.
  2. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @maffle I totally understand you're upset about the S3, but I doubt Dell would remove the S3 without first consulting with Microsoft about it. It looks like Microsoft is phasing out S3 from Windows and totally moving to the modern standby. Whether we like it or not, this is what's happening...

Btw, I've had MANY situations where my past laptops were woken up in the regular S3 sleep. So, I don't think S3 sleep is perfect either, but more depends on the hardware of the machine itself.

The times I've used the modern standby on my new XPS 15 I had lots of various programs open, with wifi and bluetooth on. It looks like the discharge rate doesn't depend on whether there are any programs running or not.
    So far I haven't had the laptop waking up from the standby, so that's good.
    And I never end up in situations where the laptop is asleep for a long time when on battery (it's always plugged in during the night), so I don't mind if it uses 1 or 2% of battery for a few hours... Of course it's worse than the S3 sleep, but it's not a problem for me.

ThrottleStop measures all the data in the background by default. Just press Stop Data button and it'll go back to 0% CPU.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles with the AHCI! Looks like it runs worse than RAID, at least with Hynix SSD.

Here are my Hynix 512 GB SSD results WITH Chrome open (without Chrome the Seq write is 1350 MB/s). Your 4K speeds seem a bit low?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 6.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2018
    Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes
    Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2538.300 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 758.824 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 676.643 MB/s [ 165196.0 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 354.924 MB/s [ 86651.4 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 270.552 MB/s [ 66052.7 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 357.765 MB/s [ 87345.0 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 35.786 MB/s [ 8736.8 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 83.383 MB/s [ 20357.2 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [D: 61.4% (238.3/388.4 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
    Date : 2018/07/26 13:11:40

3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope, it is perfect, and that was your (the users) fault and your fault alone : - ) You have to CORRECTLY disable ALL devices and also ALL timer events which can wake up from S3 which you CANT btw for modern standby, especially BT, the option is missing in the device manager if youre in modern standby. You can easily double check for S3 with powercfg. If you do it correctly... the device wont ever wake up again anymore from S3 BUT if the USER presses the power button.

Very funny :) Just run a game or prime95 and then enter modern standby...

Are your SKH results with AHCI? What driver version? Why does yours seem to perform way better... mine is a 512GB SKH too. And what is this weird bug with Chrome open which causes write speeds to drop by 50%?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No... totally NOT... your example is totally NOT... a good example for it. I said... no one cares for SINGLE FILE copy, and your example IS SINGLE FILE COPY. Multiple small file copy/access is the important thing, and the other SSDs just SU** at it compared to Samsung SSD. And THAT is the real world scenario, not how fast it can copy ONE LARGE file... Programs become more complex in file structure, a game with 50GB maybe has thousands of files, even worse, it uses a database file which is like 5GB split, and in it is a zip archive... there the access is even more important. Using a PC is all about how fast it can access as many files as possible.

5. custom90gt

Reputations:
    So my real world experience for the past couple of years with every Samsung NVMe drive and other SATA/NVMe drives isn't as worthwhile as your experience where the other SSD just "sucks." There are tons of tests where it shows that a SATA and NVMe drive are nearly identical when loading games with tons of files. I welcome you to provide some proof that users are going to notice any difference between NVMe drives, heck even between SATA and NVMe drives. I can paste in a ton of youtube videos/tech review sites that show my point. Can you? And no not just videos of people zipping and unzipping files (although that really sounds like a fun computer task...).

Oh before I forget, I used to have Raid 0 512GB 960 pros until I realized there was zero benefit to it even though my desktop gets used to transcode movies ALL the time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    improwise likes this.
  6. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I always get the latest directly from nvidia. If it won't install I would run display driver uninstaller and then install it.

8. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My 9550 with a Sata Samsung M.2 in it (850 Evo) felt and responded exactly the same as my 9570 with an NVMe 960 Pro in it, could not tell any difference at all. I've a gaming machine which had a Sata drive that had the OS on it, with 3 other 2.5" SSD's with games, videos and music on. I recently installed an NVMe drive in this machine as I wanted to get more drive space, installed the OS and Fallout 4 & TW3 and the boot up, and game loading times are just the same as before - I can tell zero difference. Even using Davinci Resolve it feels the same, I cannot tell any difference at all.

Ok the benchmark results are impressive, but do be aware every time you do them you are using up the drives TBW value, basically for nothing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    pressing and custom90gt like this.
  9. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    But if you take a look to nvidia supported systems, there are not any Max-q 1050... will everything work fine??

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    What do you mean it's not supported? Just because it doesn't say 1050MQ doesn't mean it won't work, they would have way too many entries if they included the MQ designation separately. It'll work.

Saaaaa likes this.