XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thats what i was afraid of, i wish we had some more compatible ram. come on dell wtf,

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unless you are doing some specialized work, you may notice zero difference between the Toshiba & Samsung SSds.

Again for ram, I don't think you will notice a difference unless you are doing specialized work.

I search for lowest CAS latency at a given speed. When I was looking for 2400MHz sodimm, that was HyperX impact. Due to compatibility issues we see here on the 9570 RAM, I think you should search for specific part numbers that work for others on the 9570 (full part number, not just the name of the ram). Don't trust the maker websites.

3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Totally not true. You can easily notice the difference, by for example ziping/dezipping a folder with lots of little files, or copy a folder with 1000 little files each 10-1000Kb or so. The difference are worlds. Same for installing games, programs, ect pp.

4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This IS an example of specialized work. and the difference IS there but IS NOT worlds.

improwise and custom90gt like this.
  5. maffle

Reputations:
    Nope... this is an example of NORMAL world situations, and the difference is HUGE KB/s against MB/s. NORMAL WORLD SITUATIONS. Multiple file access happens all the time, and it makes a HUGE impact on the system. even opening Chrome or Photoshop or whatever means the system is opening hundreds of files in that moment. If small/rapid file access is 1/3 of the performance between the SSDs, than the summed up performance is also just 1/3, regardless if one can read ONE file per time with 2300MB/s and the other with 1300MB/s (oh you wont notice a difference between the two... bla bla bla bla).

6. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That seems like just 12 mWh drain?? That's nothing for 6 hours. Something isn't right there?

I've played with the standby (XPS seems to have only disconnected standby, which is probably better, so won't even attempt to use wifi).
    My bluetooth headphones connect straight away to my XPS which is in the standby, so it seems the bluetooth is active while in standby.

The few times I've put the laptop to sleep, the short standby (10-30 min) had a discharge rate at around 1600 mWh (970 mWh per hour would be 1% of the battery), which is high discharge rate, but since it's short it consumes just a half or 1% of battery.
    When the sleep was longer than an hour the discharge rate was mostly around 650 mWh (around 0.65% of battery per hour). I use sleep on battery only for up to several hours, and for me this discharge rate is OK.

I haven't had the laptop waking up from the sleep, even with shaking or having it on my motorbike or changing wifi networks or connecting to bluetooth devices.

If this is the usual workings of the modern standby then I can live with it. And I like the literally instant wake up.

Btw, I uninstalled the Dell support apps and disabled the start up of the Dell Premier Color and Mobile Connect apps in Task manager.

EDIT: I tried the overnight standby for 8 ours and the drain was around 900 mWh (% of batter). But the laptop hibernated after some time.
    There's a powercfg setting which changes the percentage of battery when the laptop hibernates if the drain goes over that percentage. It looks like the default setting is 5%. I changed it to 10%, but haven't tested on overnight standby again to see if that will work. I don't want the laptop to hibernate unless the drain is higher than at least 10% of battery...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  7. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you switch to AHCI? Only change the BIOS setting and the Windows will install all the drivers and make the switch on boot up, or I need to make some other changes?
    Any changes in SSD speed with AHCI?

I have Hynix 512 GB which is not very good (2530 MBs read, 1370 MBs write), but when I check it with Chrome running the write speeds go to miserable 700 MBs, practically half. What's up with Chrome??

8. abujafar

Reputations:
    Samsungs SSDs are the best. No argument here. But they are not "KB/s against MB/s" level.

If you do a lot of file operations and feel the need for that extra performance, buy it!
    No one is holding you.

improwise likes this.
  9. abujafar

Reputations:
    I noticed a (minor) improvement in the benchmark by switching to AHCI. Maybe it's a fluke.
    You need to :

splus likes this.
  10. maffle

Reputations:
    Yes... I just noticed that TOO, that the XPS 15 9570 just supports "disconnected" modern standby, because I looked with "powercfg /a", it just says, it supports disconnected standby. THAT turns the whole thing even more ad absurdum!! NOW there is not a single reason, why this stupid laptop should use modern standby. Microsoft moron reasoning is, that connected standby is the huge advantage for modern standby, so it can do "little task" like update UWP apps and so on.

IF I put my LAPTOP to SLEEP, I want it to SLEEP.... SLEEEP!!! Not do little task in the background. Modern standby just makes sense on tablets and cell phones, NOT A LAPTOP.

Another example: It is DANGEROUS on laptops!! If the laptop wakes up with lid closed, happened to a few people now, on a laptop which has a 45W output... it would melt literally in your backpack maybe.

Another example: You do WORK with the laptop, what does that mean? There may be running lots of open programs on it, maybe even a scientific calculation. Just say you have a game open for this example... if you put it into S3... the laptop is OFF. Every compilation STOPS. The state is frozen 100% in memory, nothing will change, until woken up again.... laptop 100% off but memory, no heat whatsoever, no drain... total drain is like 1-2% per 12 HOURS!!! 1-2 % PER 12 HOURS. How is it in ****ty modern standby!? THE FANS ARE EVEN STILL ON IF YOU HAVE A GAME RUNNING OR CALCULATION AND PUT IT TO "SLEEP". Your brain tells you in 1 second this modern standby cant work on a laptop... how should it?? It just """tries""" to go to a lower CPU state... it TRIES... and it FAILS... BADLY. Every little service running in the back will literally wake it up again all the time, Chrome, whatever... the chance for this is just infinitely LARGE, where it is ZERO with S3... ZERO.

If I put my laptop to sleep... I want it TO SLEEP... 100% SLEEP. If I close the lid, I will mostly carry it around in my bag, or whatever. I want it to be off in that moment (hours)... and dont come with "why not put it into hibernate then"... really? REALLY? Writing 16GB of RAM everytime to SSD where there is no need for that with S3.

And yes... as you said, Windows 10 seems to recognize it as a drain, and will override the hibernate timer, and just go to hibernate if there was a drain detected for 5% of battery. The mWh value is also not correct, it doesnt even show me a value most of the time with the sleepreport. I would say, the drain is about 1.5-2% of total battery per hour, which is not acceptable. IT DOES NOTHING IN THAT TIME. WHY SHOULD IT BE ACCEPTABLE!?????? Compared to S3 thats at least 10 times WORSE. It also means it stresses all components of the laptop 24//7 where there is no need for!!

It is just NONSENSE, that you have to close every little program, every service, everything, before you put it to """""sleep""""" where then the chance is still high, it will fail, and has a drain over that time. Modern standby just doesnt WORK at least on a laptop, it is just TERRIBLE.

Like you said, if you have a bluetooth device like a mouse connected, it will stay connect regardless of Wifi... if you accidentally move the mouse, it will wake up the laptop. You cant deactivate this... also TERRIBLE.

The SKH SSD is "ok" btw, not as terrible as the Toshiba, still bad compared to Samsung.

@abujafar
    Did you do a clean Windows 10 install btw on your machine? Are you running ThrottleStop for undervolt? I noticed TS has a permant 0.1% CPU usage in task manager, I will test if it maybe causes a drain in modern standby, but I doubt it.

Edit:
    I tried the procedure with activating the next boot as safe mode, go to bios, change to AHCI, reboot, and now Windows wont boot anymore, it tries to enter safe mode but is stuck at Dell Logo forever :) Im loving it :) Also entering manual safe mode via boot options of Windows 10 wont work, it shows Dell logo forever and wont do anything. Tried a couple of times, always stuck. Went back into bios, changed back to RAID, and now the same, wont boot anymore.

Tried booting like 20 times into Windows recovery with prompt, did back and forth several times bcdedit /set and /remove, after 10 reboots, RAID is working now again. But the procedure totally does not work for my model with the SKH SSD, dont know why... it will just stuck at Dell Logo after switching to AHCI in bios and even safe mod wont boot. I hate Windows 10... of course you had to wait like 2 mins every time too, because it always tries to automatically identify problems for you, how NICE IF YOU DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

Edit2...:
    Tried the whole procedure again, same problems, stuck at Dell Logo. Tried rebooting again several times through Windows reboot menu... and then after like the 5th try in this second try, safe mode booted, I booted normal, and now I am with AHCI driver. This is just unbelievable...

The result... I totally dont know if I am happy how with AHCI...

RAID
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 6.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2018 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : https://crystalmark.info/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2531.991 MB/s
    Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1335.220 MB/s
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 488.396 MB/s [ 119237.3 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 424.227 MB/s [ 103571.0 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 116.914 MB/s [ 28543.5 IOPS]