XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. enzofv

enzofv Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm on the fence between buying an XPS 15 9570 or a Gigabyte Aero 15w. I was leaning towards the Dell, but reading this thread has really discouraged me to go for it. The laptop suddenly waking up from sleep while closed and in my backpack is just a huge dealbreaker, and it seems that this is happening to everybody. Is there anyone who has NOT ran into this issue?

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was happening to me with the 9550, but I don't think this is happening to everybody, far from it, otherwise there would have been more complaints I guess.

3. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I decided the XPS because of the bad reviews of Gigabyte trackpad and keyboard....
    The XPS is not for gaming, but it's a really great machine for working, virtual machines, video editing, photoshop......

4. Saaaaa

Saaaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    custom90gt likes this.
  5. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you checked if you enter connected or disconnected standby?
    I also switched from RAID to AHCI. Not sure if it is related. I'll try to see if I changed something else.

Never happened so far.

maffle likes this.
  6. enzofv

enzofv Newbie

Reputations:
    Cool. Thank you.

7. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no connected/disconnected standby, just "modern standby", like I said before. You cant even toggle the option anymore in Windows 10 settings "keep wifi on during sleep", MS removed that with an update in the past months.

Just did the new bios update, and the laptop hangs again in boot at Dell Logo, but it is not a crash... I can press shift lock and the LEDs of the keyboard word, when I put it to sleep and wake up, the boot continues normally... I had this issue now a few times. On the one laptop too I shipped back before...

I also had it now a few times, that the screen is just black when opening the lip / waking up from "modern standby", but Windows is running normally behind it, but the screen wont turn on. I had this issue actually YEARS ago already on my old Dell 7140 tablet with Windows 10... JUST GREAT.

Edit:
    I just did the 1.3.0 bios update, I was already wondering what the "2.Remove redundant setup option" meant and I was like... oh no they didnt.... oh no they didnt... oh no they didnt... THEY ... DID!!!

S3 option WAS REMOVED FROM BIOS!

I won't tolerate something like this. This is unbelievable.I won't use a laptop which has no SUSPEND TO RAM. I had NEVER bought this laptop if it had no S3. I will totally do everything in my power, to receive a 100% money return for this laptop, if S3 wont come back.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    pressing likes this.
  8. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    pretty weak benchmarks on my stock ram and toshiba SSD. will definitely put a Samsung evo in there but any recommendations for fast ram? our options seem limited, i want to get the g skill rip jaws that someone has conifrmed to work for the 32gb 2666mhz but i really dont need 32 gb and i saw a 16gb 2x8 set on amazon. what you guys think? its the same speed but just 2x8 instead of the 2x16gb. you think it will work LOL

9. abujafar

Reputations:
    @fedd1233 it will work at the same timings so the performance will be the same.

10. abujafar

Reputations:
    That is not the resolution I expected. what else did they remove?