XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That looks legit - I may have to consider the 1060 model when it launches in a few weeks, if this cooling system facilitates quiet fan acoustics (truly quiet <43 dB). Although with such a beefy system, the Max-Q chips seem kinda lame.

2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It sure looks like something new for a laptop and promising.

Question is if all the components are happy with the resulting heatsink temperature. I mean, in the 9560 the CPU and the GPU seem to be quite coupled thermally with the heatsink, even though the throttling threshold of the GPU is much lower than that of the CPU. This doesn't appear to be causing issues*, presumably because the heatpipe temperature is still sufficiently below the GPU's threshold, so that enough heat gets transferred from the GPU (but may not always be the case). It shouldn't be a problem if you are sometimes actually heating up a component which happens to be inactive, as long as you are below its operating threshold.

An alternative workaround for the 9560 using another thin heatpipe(s) from the VRMs towards the fins or the main heatpipe, without adding VRM "fin surface" and redirecting some air towards it, wasn't tested AFAIK. I mean, it might work, or it might cause the heatsink temperature to rise too much (which would choke the GPU), or it might not cool the VRMs enough.

*The most difficult issues we've seen are PL throttling while the CPU and GPU temperatures are okay, due to "ambient" VRM overheating. But in many cases there is also direct CPU or/and GPU throttling, which mostly go away with proper repasting.

abujafar and pressing like this.
  3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @_sem_ totally agree with what you wrote. We just don't know yet if it works better or not.
    I sure hope it does. If it works, other brands can pick up and everybody will benefit.

4. abujafar

Reputations:
    I helped another user on reddit test his machine. He has an i9 and is getting similar results as @cpaek72.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/8ldqtv/recieved_my_xps_with_i9_huge_performance_upgrade/

5. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    Does any one have benchmarks for comparison of i7 with i9?

I read on reddit that the i5 gets nearly the same scores as the i7 as the i7 throttles so much?

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  6. trebuchet

trebuchet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is from an undervolted i7 8750h
    [​IMG]

pressing likes this.
  7. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Humm must be throttling pretty good during the heavy multitasking since my i5-8305g scores 72,583 on it. Wonder if it's thermal or power throttling.

8. abujafar

Reputations:
    @trebuchet

your results look subpar, especially in the heavy multitasking section. How much did you manage to undervolt the core/cache?

9. trebuchet

trebuchet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The other areas are not near as stressful. My cpu power limit throttles to around 2ghz when doing the heavy multitasking section.
    Realbench -150 2.PNG

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    abujafar likes this.