XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got a 9570 unit with a fan that sounds like a moped so that's nice

slurpy and maffle like this.
  2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @abujafar

I spoke about the Intel Audio Service crash too with the Alan guy from Dell :) So you can tell him actually too you have the issue. He said he can't reproduce it (of course... typical). I am not sure if he escalated that ticket too or not.

Can you put the laptop sleep longer than 2h? Maybe 12h overnight in modern standby? And see if you see have 100 100?

Do you have a picture maybe of before/after with the DIMM sensor fix?

I see... I was thinking the same if it maybe would more harm than good. I won't bother having the chassis back be warm actually, I never have it on my lap. I also don't really stress the laptop 100% lots of times. It may actually do lots of wonders for idle temps and mild gaming with caped 60fps and low settings, so the fans won't kick in anymore for browsing and video watching.

Do you maybe know, which components in the middle top voltage area are the coils? Is there a picture where they are marked? I read somewhere before, that you can actually use glue (the right one of course) you put around/on the coils and enclosure them by this like amber, to deactivate coil whine. Would that maybe work?

3. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm gonna give it another try. Dell/UPS informed me new 4k 9570 will arrive today.
    I have no questions about the mod/undervolt/repast stuff ( i did it already many times before, 9570 and other machines) but i think i will do a fresh install on AHCI and preconfigured "old" S3 mode. Any advices?

4. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think there is a limit - I guess it would have been much lower if it were set (in was in the seventies on the previous models), and then the laptop would have throttled more of course. But you can look up other folks' report at Dell reddit and their community support forum - up to 125 reported, and others don't measure temperatures but report freezing/chrashes under load.

5. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The problem is that there is zero airflow inthere, so the heatsinks alone don't help much. It should be better if you funnel a bit of the cooling air over there with thermal pads, and it isn't such a big deal. Obviously iunlock was trying many simpler mod versions and he wasn't happy with what he got with less involved versions - he was after unthrottled performace. You may or may not be satisfied with the outcome - you can still try harder if you are not. Considering the difference in the 9570 throttling scheme, consider padding the RAM (incl its sensor) to the backplate. You must do something about VRM heat, but don't pad VRMs to the backplate.

6. fedd12233

fedd12233 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My hinge makes a popping sound like it's loose but the lid is really stiff and not easy to open, I've gone in and tighted all the screws on the hinge and still does this. Any ideas? Or should I return the unit?

7. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Left in sleep mode overnight. Still 100%/100%. Perhaps you have some process that wakes the system up?

There are some pictures of the laptop in @custom90gt post by him and others.
    If I open the laptop again, I'll take a picture.

Do your experiments and report back.

I don't know to fix coil whine. I was under the impression is that is something that can "randomly" happen for a variety of factors and manufacturers haven't figured out a systematic solution.

maffle likes this.
  8. abujafar

Reputations:
    You know, at a certain point I had a theory for explaining this behavior. I noticed that in LONG TERM CPU stress tests the CPU tends to sit in the low 80s. Perhaps, Dell's power management adjusts the PL1 to achieve this target.

9. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have SW 100% and HW 5% on connected standby, and it's because of some NoHwDrips.C7 on SoC which was active 95% of time. 4% battery drain for 1:46 hours. This was with wifi and BT on, and with Chrome, email and few Office apps opened.
    I'll do a 10 hour test now after this, but I'll put the laptop to airplane mode before I close the lid.

Since your laptop manages to sleep nicely, can you please give us some details, like if your wifi and BT were on during the standby, and if Chrome was open?
    Have you uninstalled any Dell apps that come installed with the laptop?
    Any registry or Windows settings changed?

I think it would be REALLY helpful to get to the bottom of this sleep thing - being able to put the laptop to sleep without worries instead of using hibernation every day is actually a huge deal for daily practical use.

10. abujafar

Reputations:
    Wifi ON, Bluetooth off.
    However, powercfg /a says that only "Modern Standby Network Disconnect" is supported on my device.
    In this case, the wifi status *should* not matter.

I had almost all the applications closed. I did not remove any DELL app.

Regardless, I do hope that Dell fixes the old standby (S3).