XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @maffle will do.

Have you tried to use the disconnected variant of modern standby?

I will run an analysis on the power consumption during sleep tonight with powercfg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @abujafar You mean that I manually go flight mode before I close the lid? Totally not an option. First, disgusting modernstandby drain is at least 10 times worse compared to S3 (10-12% drain vs 1% drain over night), second, it is a permanent stress of every part of the laptop (in S3 just the RAM is kept alive with power, in modern standby the laptop is literally never really off and cpu/ect everything still has voltage), it is dangerous (can happen the laptop wakes up even with lid closed and burn to death in your bag). And then there is the thing that it just doesnt work properly. Every little burp wakes the laptop up again, like bluetooth mouse, or even hundreds of triggers Windows things are cool to wake up the laptop you cant disable. Just S3 (or hibernate, but thats bad for the SSD) is safe to use if you want a laptop sleep.

pressing likes this.
  3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are 2 variants of modern standby: connected (keeps wifi on and receiving data) and disconnected

I think some timers and movements can still wake-up the system from the old standby.
    Anyway I agree with some of your remarks. I have set modern standby, now let's see tomorrow morning what the powercfg sleep analysis says.

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few guys here had meltdowns in backpacks with the 9550 and 9560.

5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Erm... no. First, there is just "modern standby" aka connected standby (old therm from Windows 8, MS renamed it), there is no connected/disconnected modus to chose from. Second, nope again. You can deactivate all wake timers or events for S3 (usb, bluetooth, keyboard, event timer ect), you cant for modern standby (leads to annoying permanent wake ups, or even worse, meltdowns in backpacks).

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    When the coming 10nm (i9) 6/8 core chips finally come expect the same overheating problems.... Smaller processor die and next step in shrinking the notebook chassis design will make it exactly as Today. Nothing will really change.

Ashtrix, pressing and maffle like this.
  7. zeverus

zeverus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So it seems like a lot of people are returning their XPS because of heat issues and cpu throttle. When i play games on the machine, my cpu throttles all the way down to 800 mhz at certain points.

The main reason i got this laptop was because i needed a 13-15" light weight and slim portable laptop with a decent battery life to browse web and use MS office.

My minimum requirements were 8 gb ram, 128 gb ssd and an intel U cpu would have been fine. I never needed a dedicated gpu. I was considering a zenbook 15", ideapad/thinkpad 14"/15", MS surface 13", macbook 13".

But i got a 33% discount on the XPS, and therefor all the other computers in the same price range come with 4-8 gb ram and 128-256 gb ssd and slower cpu's. The XPS i got was with FHD, 16 gb ram and 500 gb ssd, 8750h. The faster cpu and gtx 1050ti is just a bonus that wasn't a requirement for my needs.

When power plan is put to silent mode, it lives up to all my needs, and in this regard only weight and thickness are downers.

No matter what "best ultrabooks guide" i read, the laptops on the lists are either far more expensive, or far lower specs. most are thinner and lighter, but aside from that, they mostly seem to suck compared to the xps.

If anyone can knows a laptop that is at least 8 gb ram, 128 gb ssd, slimmer and lighter and long battery life (compared to dell power mode: silent), at same price range (compared to a 33% discounted xps), i would appreciate any recommendation.

But i think the xps 9570 is a winner when it comes to my demands when running in silent power mode.

8. eucalyptus

eucalyptus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did complain and asked to have my xps delivered at first promised date.

But they excused themselves with having trouble in the Chinese factory and didn't wanna do anything about it.

Said I wanted money back for the 5-6 delivery time, or they could add 2 years extra support .

If I knew I had to wait this long I would definitely go for the Huawei matebook instead.

9. micmax

micmax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I carried my 9570 in my backpack almost every day, rode by bicycle, only 30 min. one way. The device got fu..... hot.

maffle and pressing like this.
  10. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In my case, Dell has been pretty good with offering partial refunds for issues like getting a slower SSD. Their service has been decent overall, with my issues being with the device itself. Have gone through FHD 4 XPS 15 9560s and 1 FHD 9570, and all of them had quality control problems, ranging from bezels not being glued properly to various touchpad alignment issues. Issues with headphone output and screen bleed are also prominent. The lack of good competing Windows laptops puts me in a difficult situation, but the 2 week waiting period after order and the Dell lottery is tiring.