XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fantastic! haha

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've devised a simple scheme to significantly improve cooling in Apple laptops; two big holes

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/extreme-thermal-mods-2007-macbook-pro-3-1.810471/

[​IMG]

custom90gt and Trader05 like this.
  3. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the following issue with an Intel 9260 card in the XPD 9570, that I cant send any files over the network. The copy process breaks down after 1-2 seconds and then gives me an unexpected network error after a while. Down speed works normally with about 33MB/s. Info shows 866mbit and full green bars. Anyone an idea what could be the cause of this? Might it be that aux and main still have to be flipped?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was thinking to swap out the 250GB SK Hynix PC401 NVME SSD that came with my XPS 15 9570 FHD as I'd like a bigger SSD.

I thought about putting in a 1TB SSD, but the Samsung 960 nvme is around $520 CAD and a bit out of my budget.

I can however get a WD Blue 1TB SSD for half that, but it's not an nvme.

I've read that the nvme drives are 5x faster, but not sure if this applies to read/write speeds of the SK Hynix as well.

I will use the laptop for general stuff (writing, browsing) as well as editing (HD and some 4k using Davinci Resolve).

Am I going to regret swapping out the faster drive in day to day use? I'm coming from an 2011 MBP so anything feels zippy next to that.

THanks!

5. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For general stuff there should be no noticeable difference between SATA and NVMe. For 4K editing there may be some difference, though I doubt anything major.

I got a HP EX920 1TB NVMe @ $249. Regular SATA Drive would be close to $200.

Bitlocker off I got read speed ~2800 MB/s and write ~1600 MB/s. Regular SATA should be close to 500 MB/s read/write.

6. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your input.

7. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sent the XPS 15 9570 back to Dell. It was past 30 days on the invoice but convinced them on the basis that I did not have the machine for a total of 30 days. Too many finishing issues for a laptop of this price range, including the left touchpad-palmrest boundary which was quite rough and uneven, almost as if the touchpad had been jammed in forcibly. At least the screen bezel was glued properly, as improperly sealed bezels was a too frequent an issue on the 9560s that I had tried out. Aspects like the mediocre speaker quality seem inherent to the XPS line nowadays.

maffle likes this.
  8. 9ac3

9ac3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there an option for multiple SSD/SSHD storage in 9570 that includes a 57Whr battery? I want to get the SSHD option with 8 gb RAM and 1080p non-touch display.

Is the SSD to be placed in the WWAN slot? If so what is the form-factor and what type of SSD should I get?

9. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was going to order the i9/32GB/1Tb ssd/4k model, but wondering if I can just as.well get the i7/16GB/512GB SSD/4k
    Need this as an allround laptop and now Im starting to wonder if their really that much of a performance increase going to the i9.
    Thoughts?

10. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Answered this for you on the 'Swap out SSD' post you made.