XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Now if only they could make their batteries stop exploding...

ThePerfectStorm likes this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post @cpaek72 . I see a 98C max on RealBench so perhaps you are hitting some throttling; with a simple undervolt perhaps you can get well over 101,562.

One guy showed his i7 factory paste was a disaster so you may have additional upside there with a good repaste using an extremely small amount of thermal paste.

3. cpaek72

cpaek72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, undervolting will be my next test. I'll post new benchmarks after I do that. Any suggestions which settings I should use for Throttlestop for the i9?

abujafar likes this.
  4. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Start with -135mv on both core/cache. Other users have reported success at this level.

5. cpaek72

cpaek72 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, undervolted -135mv on both core and cache. Here are the results:
    RealBench-20180523012729.png

6. abujafar

Reputations:
    That's pretty good! You max temp dropped (no more hitting hard 100c wall). Your cpu-bound parts of the test improved by almost 60% (heavy multitasking).
    Probably you were throttling during this part of the test in your previous run!

Try if you can lower the core/cache more if you have time.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is a good increase in score and good decrease in CPU max temps.

You should look for better CPU temps as 91C is still hot; I would aim sub 80C but I don't know if that will be possible on 6 cores at high multipliers with those tiny radiators.

You can run a temp monitor at the same time (like HWiNFO64) to see what the problem areas are.

- Not sure if you have more room undervoltingbut try -5mv increments and run some tests for an extended period of time (say Prime95 for a few hours and maybe some gaming). At this level of undervolt, even another -10mv can provide a significant thermal benefit. If system is stable you can keep trying then back off say 10mv when things get unstable.

- Repaste with good quality paste should give you more headroom after that. I would use absolute min thermal paste possible, after repaste take everything apart to at least once check that you get full coverage and redo, make sure cores are within say 2C or 3C of each other (else you may have thermal paste distribution issue or bent heatsink).

What are your SpeedShift EPP settings?

8. abujafar

Reputations:
    In general yes, however, I think in real bench the max temp will always be around 90C because the cooling system kicks in only 5 seconds after a load is applied. (rationale: keep the computer silent if there is just a short burst)

HWInfo is better because it will shed light on how the temp/clock evolve over time.

I am skeptical that repasting with normal paste (not liquid metal) will bring tangible benefits. Curious to see what people are able to achieve!

9. abujafar

Reputations:
    Why not a binary search approach to find the best threshold? :)

10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Look at the recent photo of the terrible Dell factory paste job from the Reddit 9570 thread.

That is consistent with the factory paste jobs on the 9550 & 9560. Very thick gobs of cheap thermal paste are good insulators. A high quality paste with uber-thin application shows 5C+ improvements on these laptops.

As the case, heatsink and CPU are virually the same in the 9570, I also would expect a material improvement in 9570 thermals with a good repaste. Time will tell as actual results roll in

custom90gt likes this.