XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. esquimau

esquimau Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Whelp, once again these forums left me perplexed as what to do. I realize that most people that come here are the min/max types who are coming to seek solutions so the casual user and people who feel things are fine are under represented.

I just picked up an open box XPS 9575 2 in 1 at Best Buy over the weekend to try it out since they didn't have XPS 15s in stock. Its a 4k model so both trying that out, getting comfortable with dells (I feel the Inspirons I've bought for my mother to use have been pieces of crap within months of her starting to use them with how slow they are.

After a couple days with the 9575 I'm getting more used to the very low profile keyboard and haven't been bothered by any noises and fans. I really have no need for the 2 in 1 aspect except potentially if I just wanted to use it in studio mode for some Netflix watching.

The laptop would be my work travel laptop (frequent flying and 4 day trips) as well as maybe a play a game in bed sort of thing. I have a desktop gaming machine, but I'd rather do basic games in bed with a pad than sit at a desk. We're talking Overwatch and WoW. Ideally the laptop would let me leave my work Dell Latitude at home and I could do everything I need with my personal laptop. So light productivity (web based work tools, light Word and Excel) and casual gaming.

I had planned to return the 9575 to get a 1080p XPS 15. I don't see me using tablet mode and I think I'd do better with longer battery life for working in cafes. But now you all have me freaked about thermals and I can't tell if its ever something that would ever bother me being a casual player. I initially looked at the MSI but the build quality was terrible and I couldn't stand that even the weight of my palms on the keyboard typing made creaking noises. The QC issues with the 15X make me nervous to order online with trickier returns. Build wise I'm tempted to go Razer 15 1060, but all I keep hearing is how their QC is bad also.

I don't really need a powerful GPU in my laptop with what I do. if I ever wanted more I'd get an eGPU, but honestly my desktop would do it better. I just want something that won't break my back while running in airports and won't break my laptop from lugging it around everywhere.

2. seiyafan

seiyafan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any improvement in thermal with 1.2.2 BIOS?

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You should run benchmarks stock & modded at the same time in similar conditions. That allows you to troubleshoot and compare results to those of others (e.g. see mod thread by @custom90gt .)

Without doing it with some level of discipline, how would you know if your repaste is lousy? Or if your heatsink is bent? ...

4. RJ85

RJ85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, eagerly reading through 68 pages searching for positive notes on the (for me just arrived) 9570. I ordered the 4k 512GB 16GB version, knowing I had some work to do on the thermals and the Killer WiFi-card. My copy arrived a couple days ago and I am happy to say that I have a copy without any ghosting, coil wine or backlight bleed.

When I opened the case i saw that my Toshiba 512GB nvme drive had already a thermal pad on it. I replaced it, along with padding the RAM and VRM with the Fujipoly extreme thermal pads (bought here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSJQQBU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I also changed the Killer for an Intel 9260.

I did some benchmarks (3Dmark, PCmark, Unigine Heaven) before the 'mods', am now testing it with the 'new' thermal pads. Am planning to undervolt and repaste with grizzly kryonaut. My goal is to make the same table as @custom90gt and the guy from Germany.

Keep you posted!

5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 9570 has more upgradability, battery, and performance, so I'd go for it.

6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Eh I picked up a 9560 on the outlet for close to $680, if you want to save money I'd look there. Either one is going to be reliable and unless you're playing games or rendering/doing something else intensive it'll be just fine.

7. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like the Macbook i9's also throttle:

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I don't know of a macbook pro that hasn't throttled though. You can't criticize the all mighty Apple.

9. Trader05

Trader05 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh really? I wasn't aware of the previous models. I was waiting for this to be released to see how they adjusted the cooling in the i9 version..not great i guess.

10. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Hah every Macbook pro I've owned (well wife insisted on owning) or used or fixed has throttled.

Trader05 likes this.