XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. EORUCIGN

EORUCIGN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, you shouldn't expect updated graphics card. The new laptop graphics card should hit around December, but entry GPU like GTX 1050 ~ 1050ti will take another 1 year to release as far as I know.

maffle likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well I've got good news and bad.

The good news is I'll be back on the XPS bandwagon on Tuesday.
    The bad news is it's just a 9560 with an i5 because it was cheap (like the same price I can sell my 2015 Lenovo X1 Carbon for).
    Oh well at least it'll get me back into a quadcore with dedicated graphics and the wife won't end me since we just bought the new truck.

pressing and Woodking like this.
  3. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A
    Any chance of a sneaky pic of the truck? My wife wants us to move to Canada and buy a Raptor :eek:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    LOL well sadly it's no Raptor, I'd sure love to have one but it's a tad out of my price range, lol. Funny because the wife and I are considering moving to Montana for my residency. Also you can't tell from the pic angle but it's a duramax. So far I totally love it. Went on a 400 mile road trip in the mountains with a good bit of city driving and got 27.4 mpg hand calculated. Even had ~1/4 of a tank left.

Here's a pic:
    20180630_122028 - Copy.jpg

Woodking likes this.
  5. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Absolutely love that, thanks, awesome piece of kit and I'd love to own something like that. We currently trundle about in an old Toyota Rav4 as we have 2 dogs and they wreck everything, and love to swim so sand gets everywhere!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    I don't get how that works!? Wouldn't the panel still require the same amount of power, since the screen itself still has the physical pixel density of a 4k display? Or does the iGP use a lot more power while driving a 4K display?

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I've always assumed it was an old wives' tale that lowering a 4k res to 1080 would make it use less battery.

8. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would think that there are some truth in it. Force the resolution to FHD alleviate the GPU burden. However the screen itself probably still consumes the same amount of power. So overall it should be less than native UHD but higher than native FHD.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah my reasoning is that phone manufacturers use lower resolutions (samsung and LG both) to save battery power, so it should have an effect for laptops as well to a degree.

10. ColdFire1

ColdFire1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Two weeks since I got the laptop. Pretty happy with it so far. Got the i7/8GB/256GB version. Upgraded RAM (4GB+16GB) and SSD (1TB), replaced the wireless card (Intel 9260). Added some thermal pad for VRM. No repaste work. Did a clean install of Windows.

No major screen bleeding (not to a degree that interferes my daily use). No perceptible coil whine.

Noticed some APPCRASH events caused by Dell supportAssistant. Removed it and all good.

Handles everything from productivity to development software with ease. I don't play much of game, at least not on my laptop.

General stability is good. I experienced one case that the laptop drained the battery during modern standby. Switched to S3 later so not sure how often it would happen. In S3 I had a few cases that screen flicker after wake up, restart fixed the problem. I have not yet experienced any software crash (without a good reason). Booting into windows are always fast and smooth.

Look and feel are excellent. I mean, when you are willing to pay the premium, part of it goes to the industrial design. If you are all after the price/performance ratio, there are many better options around. For anything heavy weight, I would always go back to my faithful desktop which I assembled years ago (BTW I got 32GB DDR4 at $115. Those good old days ...).