XPS 15 9570 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by el3ctronics, May 16, 2018.

1. blue13x

blue13x Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    About to order the i9/32GB/4k/1TB ssd next week..should I wait another month? Are updated graphics card expected soon?

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's going to be a while before we see new laptops with new cards. If you need a laptop, buy one now.

3. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it only me who finds a bit strange that hardly anyone talks about other qualities of this laptop besides just thermals?

How about the battery life? Can anyone say what's the power consumption at idle at 60-70% and at 100% screen brightness for the model with 4K display?

Actually, I'll be buying the 9570 with i7 and 4K display in a computer shop in a week, which means I'll have to check it there in the shop if everything is OK or not.

Any suggestions what basic checks to do in a busy shop as fast as possible? I'm guessing the laptop will most likely be in a factory reset state, so I'll have to create a Windows account first in order to go into Windows and try things. I could download and bring any software with me on a USB stick, if that's needed?
    I'm little concerned because there won't be much time and space to do thorough checks and tests, but at least I can do the basics, if I know what I need to pay attention to.

4. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why do you need to check its ok in the shop? Don't they have display models and yours will be new and boxed up? You have consumer rights and the ability to take it back within a certain amount of time if it either fails in some way or you are dissatisfied with it. You won't have time to do all the tests and benchmarks in a shop and fix any issues or do a clean install for example, do those at home and if its still not what you wanted or you can't live with it, just return it.

Plus I wouldn't want an ex-display model with others dirty mitts all over it, eeewww :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. maffle

maffle Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've got the sealed new replacement laptop today, and I'm done with Dell. The new one has even worse coil whine than the other, I shipped back. Strange confidence, huh?

- coil whine is permanent
    - making all random different electric noises, (high-pitched) buzzing sound, clicking, under stress and load of SSD even mice like LOUD short clicks and buzzing sound
    - periodic beeping noises with little white noise ever 2-3 sounds
    - going with your ear on the laptop and it's a zoo
    - all coming from the top center area where the voltage regulator sit

I have the same issues btw with the 2nd new laptop, than the other one:

- randomly on power on it stops at Dell logo and doesnt continue.
    - Intel Sound Service app crashes in the logs (go into control panel and to maintenance, then reliability report, it will show the crashes in there)
    - I let a few Twitch.tv video streams run for a while and it had the same issue, that they would exit randomly after 10-20 minutes. I connected a usb lan adapter, and they were running fine. This **** stupid Killer Wifi cards seems to overheat maybe with large or longer steady downloads. I also had some random defective downloads, like downloading a 400mb file (geforce driver) the exe file was corrupt. All my other wifi devices work normally.
    - back bleed in whole is less, BUT this model now has one LARGE back bleed spot in the left middle area. When turning on it's not much visible but then gets more and more after short. I am sure it is because of the glass gets warmer, and the temperature makes it tiny little bit bend an create the back bleed.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    pressing and Woodking like this.
  6. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not good, sorry to hear that @maffle and you've not been very lucky at all.

Dell haven't covered themselves in glory with this model it seems, and I'm struggling to see why they can't sort these issues out before they start shipping them. I'm going to wait a while before getting a new laptop and see if there's anything better built out there - doen't have to be a Dell either, losing faith in them slightly.

Hope you find something better, and please let me know if you do.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. EORUCIGN

EORUCIGN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine 3 days ago, and except for thermals, it's a really nice laptop.

8. splus

splus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm long time travelling in Asia at the moment, and flying to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, just for a day and half to get the 9570.
    I'm not sure about my rights there once I pay for the laptop and take it out of the shop. I think I'm officially in the hands of the Dell service from that moment...
    So, I'll need to be fast and furious with checking the laptop for all possible niggles in the shop before I take it.

If you have any advices for the quick check up for most important Dell XPS 15 niggles and what's the best way to do it - please share.
    BTW, I've never owned a Dell before, but I've read this thread.

9. andytom69

andytom69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My i9 is arrived ..all very well. My M2 unit is toshiba xg5 . display ok and low noise .
    I go to clean install ? Help ..

10. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Bought another XPS 15, this time UHD. Finally got one with a decent display. I've been trying running at FHD resolution for better battery life, and I'm seeing 9 hours. That was the only reason I bought the FHD before as I love having touch

splus and pressing like this.